[net.cog-eng] default position of menu items

dwc@hou2b.UUCP (D.CHEN) (01/30/85)

it seems to me that the best thing to do is to keep
the same order of items in the menu everytime.  after
a while, you don't read the items, you select by relative
position.

the dmd way of POSITIONING itself at the last selected item
(if the screen borders permit it) seems like a real smart
thing to do.

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (01/30/85)

In article <416@hou2b.UUCP> dwc@hou2b.UUCP (D.CHEN) writes:

>it seems to me that the best thing to do is to keep
>the same order of items in the menu everytime.  after
>a while, you don't read the items, you select by relative
>position.
>
>the dmd way of POSITIONING itself at the last selected item
>(if the screen borders permit it) seems like a real smart
>thing to do.

i haven't used too many such packages, but i think that doing the above
is a good idea.  if you are doing the same type of thing often, you will
become familiar with the location of stuff and know where it is.  it
is very disconcerting to have the labels change on you everytime you do
something.  PC rogue is very annoying in this respect beccause it changes the
relative positions of objects everytime you modify your pack.  on the other
hand other versions of rogue keep the same order and labels until the
object is removed from the pack.  TOPVIEW also manages its processes
using menus such as you have suggested.  i find it handy to know that the
sequence of selections is always the same.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu