[net.cog-eng] default menu item selection

steffen@ihuxa.UUCP (Joe Steffen) (01/29/85)

When you press a mouse button to pop-up a menu, should the top item be the
default selection, or the last item you selected on the menu?  The latter
has the advantage that clicking the menu button repeats the last operation,
but

	1) is error prone because you have to remember the last operation
	and if you forget you will select the wrong one,

	2) you have to decide whether to move the mouse up or down to get
	to the correct item if you don't want the last item you selected.

Thus you will save time if you repeat a selection and lose the half second
deciding which way to go if you don't repeat.

The Teletype 5620 DMD(TM) Terminal under the layers program defaults to
repeating the selection by clicking, but this can be changed by a program
running under layers.  Should a program stick to the default so as not to
confuse the user?  Would novices prefer one way and experts another?  What
do other mouse-based systems do?
--

	Joe Steffen, AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL, (312) 979-5381

ksbszabo@wateng.UUCP (Kevin Szabo) (01/30/85)

In article <722@ihuxa.UUCP> steffen@ihuxa.UUCP (Joe Steffen) writes:
>When you press a mouse button to pop-up a menu, should the top item be the
>default selection, or the last item you selected on the menu?  The latter
>has the advantage that clicking the menu button repeats the last operation,
>but
>	1) is error prone because you have to remember the last operation
>	and if you forget you will select the wrong one,
>
>	2) you have to decide whether to move the mouse up or down to get
>	to the correct item if you don't want the last item you selected.

I don't know what other systems do, but if you have a Menu based system
the underlying motivation is that you NEVER have to remember. Thus if
you pick (1) and use the last operation you should highlight the
operation as if you had manually selected the light-button. Same goes
if the default is the first item in the menu; that item should be
highlighted so the user knows what is coming.

My personal feeling is that the user should be able to define the menu
contents and the default case. They should also be able to chose whether
the default case is the last operation chosen. If they haven't altered
the menu the default should be the operation that is used the most. The
user should have the choice to tailor their environment. Of course, if
there is a standard way for your system to do things by all means stay
consistent.
				Kevin
--
Kevin Szabo  watmath!wateng!ksbszabo (U of Waterloo VLSI Group, Waterloo Ont.)

judd@tove.UUCP (Judd Rogers) (01/31/85)

The default action for a menu poped up via a mouse button press should be to
do NOTHING.  What if your finger slips off the button and the last thing you
selected is some sort of delete?!
The Macintosh and Xerox Star system do it this way.

For novices this is best as it is least confusing.  but for experts...?

A command from the keyboard might be better for an expert (Macintosh supports
this).
--
Spoken: Judd Rogers
Arpa:   judd.umcp-cs@CSNet-relay

norman@sdcsla.UUCP (Donald A. Norman) (01/31/85)

In article <722@ihuxa.UUCP> steffen@ihuxa.UUCP (Joe Steffen) writes:
>When you press a mouse button to pop-up a menu, should the top item be the
>default selection, or the last item you selected on the menu?  The latter
>has the advantage that clicking the menu button repeats the last operation,

An important principle, but one little remarked upon, is that of spatial
consistency.  Spatial information is a very important and powerful cue for
remembering things.  It is important not to violate this principle.   A
pop-up menu that reogranizes itself with each usage violates this principle.
(I am almost tempted to say that it violates human decency, but that, of
course, would be flaming.)

There is a second alternative, followed by some Xerox PARC pop-up menus:
the ordering of the menus stays the same, but the initial mouse position
(i.e., the highlighted item on the menu) initially appears on the last item
selected with that menu.   Even here, I am not sure whether this violates
the principle, because even though the ordering of items on the menu
remains constant, the relative movement of the mouse to pick an item
changes from usage to usage.  An experiment is in order.

An alternative that appears to combine the best of all features (except
perhaps adding some confusion on first experience) is for the inital mouse
pisition always to be on the menu header (a non-item), but that the
highlighted item initially be the last item selected.   Then, a click gives
the previously selected item.  To make a new selection, move the
mouse to the position:  any movement into the menu region cancels the
initial default.   In this case, both ordering of the menu items and
relative motions of the mouse remain constant for each use.

 Donald A. Norman
 Institute for Cognitive Science C-015
 University of California, San Diego
 La Jolla, California 92093
 UNIX: {ucbvax,decvax}!sdcsvax!sdcsla!norman   OR   ARPA: norman@nprdc

warner@orca.UUCP (Ken Warner) (02/03/85)

Keywords:pop-up,menu

The debate on pop-up menus (pums) is a symptom of a fundamental flaw in
current computer systems. Not enough screen space to hold a complete
work space. No more need be said about the analogy of the tty screen to
a desk top. Or the attempts to mimic a desk top with a clever interface.

The use of pums to increase the informational capacity of the electronic
work space (a 24 by 80 character screen) only over loads a users mental
work space. Not only does a user have to concentrate on the task at
hand. But also keep reinforcing short term memory information about the
contents and use of his current pums configuration. Granted, a
statically configured menu system (one that never changes) could be
used with less over loading once learned to the point of automaticity.
Of course this requires no change in the task at hand.

My point is pums wouldn't be needed if there was enough electronic
workspace to have all necessary menus and the task at hand visible at
all times.

So where does this extra workspace come from? Well, there are now
many companies producing several types of flat panel displays with
the pixel capacity equal to or greater than the currently standard
24 by 80 character screen. For the most part they are low power
consumption devices. They are also not very expensive and will be
getting even cheaper.

I see systems of the future (and not too distant) having multiple
screens. Perhaps as many as you want. With very high resolution and
color. A user will spread them out on desk or floor, prop them up on
books, hold them in his hand or on his lap. Small ones for scratch pads.
Large ones for composition.

Current window packages already provide the software methods to manage
multiple screens. It will be only a matter of time before some daring
young company breaks out of the single screen mentality. It will be
like breaking a dam.

Ken Warner... somewhere in the northwest.

steffen@ihuxa.UUCP (Joe Steffen) (02/05/85)

>When you press a mouse button to pop-up a menu, should the top item be the
>default selection, or the last item you selected on the menu?  The latter
>has the advantage that clicking the menu button repeats the last operation,

I can see there is some confusion due to the wording of my original
message.  I did not mean that the menu would be reordered.  I meant that if
you press a mouse button to pop-up a menu and selected the third item, the
next time you popped-up the same menu the mouse pointer would be on the
third item.  Thus the last selection is remembered and can be reselected
without looking at the menu by just clicking the mouse button.
--

	Joe Steffen, AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL, (312) 979-5381

marie@harvard.ARPA (Marie desJardins) (02/05/85)

Ken Warner:

> My point is pums wouldn't be needed if there was enough electronic
> workspace to have all necessary menus and the task at hand visible at
> all times.

I'd prefer to have a workspace that's reasonably compact, sitting right
in front of me.  If I want to change the task at hand, I have no
objection to pulling down the menu -- it's much more convenient than
hunting around a desk for a file folder, for example.  I have some
objections to being forced to use the pull-down menus for simple
commands (this happens a lot on the macintosh) -- I'd much prefer to be
able to use keyboard commands when I want to.  But I do think that the
compactness is one of the beauties of these systems.  (Not that a
somewhat bigger screen wouldn't be nicer, but you must admit it's easier
to keep yourself organized when you're somewhat limited.)

	Marie desJardins
	marie@harvard

bobr@zeus.UUCP (Robert Reed) (02/05/85)

Ken Warner claims that the only purpose of pop up menus (pums) is to
conserve screen space.  He overlooks the fact that pums are also used to
reduce arm motion in menu selection.  I've seen several workstations that
have greater than 24 x 80 character resolution that still use pums for that
purpose.  Greater resolution (or multiple screens) do NOT eliminate the
usefulness of pums.

Admittedly, there are other mechanisms for reducing arm motion in menu
systems.  But given that you are doing menu selection via pointing device,
you can either make the menu transient (popup) or permanent (dedicate a
porstion of the screen).  In either case, it will require a button on the
pointing device.  You can either overload a button by forcing arm motion to
a particular field on the screen (static menus and Apple pull-down menus),
or you can dedicate a button for menu use (smallTalk-80, Sun, Apollo, etc.)

If you pick a fixed area to hold a dedicated menu, you are limited to the
number of entries you can place there, which should be limited to avoid
confusion.  You could change its contents (when?), or you could have several
fixed areas.  This second choice opens the question of how the user would
know which one was active.

By using a popup, you reinforce the model of particular functions associated
with particular areas of the screen (windows, objects and other fields), and
you trade short term memory use and hand training for recognition and
reaction time.  I've seen some systems that take advantage of both models,
dedicating one button for popups and another for fixed menus.

Contrary to Ken's belief about the future, multiple screens have already
been tried and generally are a second-best alternative to a single large
screen with more resolution.  With multiple screens (which are always going
to be a more expensive solution than a single screen, whatever the cost of
the display), the designer is faced with the problem of letting the user
know where to look, and potentially the more complicated interface
addressing the multiple screens.  The best way to deal with multiple screens
would be to treat them both physically and logically as a single, larger
screen.
--
Robert Reed, Logic Design Systems Division, tektronix!teklds!bobr

davidst@tekgvs.UUCP (David Stubbs) (02/05/85)

Enough of this introspection!

Since this is net.cog-ENGINEERING, I'm enclosing a bit of REAL DATA on
pop-up menus collected from my smalltalk system.  Maybe you would like
to develop some reductions or better formats for data reporting or
controls for an experiment that I could run for you.  Maybe we could
get some results to publish here instead of speculation. Eh?

David D. Stubbs
Tektronix
Electronic Systems Laboratory

uucp:		{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4,uw-beaver}!tektronix!tekgvs!davidst
USPS:		Tektronix, Inc.
		Electronic Systems Laboratory, MS 50-383
		PO Box 500
		Beaverton OR 97077
Phone:		503-627-2627

--------
My current pop-up menu system provides either the previously selected
item or the item selected when the cursor was moved out of the menu
(ie, when the selection process was canceled) as the "Item highlighted
upon menu pop-up".

The first two data items represent the item initially selected and
highlighted and the system time when the pop-up was called for.  The
second two items represent the selection and the system clock at
selection time. The time required to data log the first pair is
included in the overall time (maybe we could change this). When "Item
Selected" = 0, I moved out of the pop-up, canceling the transaction.

The menu selections represent a variety of tasks including text editing
and window manupulation.

Item highlighted	Millisecond	Item		Millisecond
upon menu pop-up	Clock		Selected	Clock upon selection

	7		1986967		2		1988967
	2		1990717		2		1991333
	2		1992550		2		1993150
	6		1994800		6		1995417
	1		2012767		0		2015100
	1		2015667		1		2016450
	1		2022567		3		2023967
	3		2031317		4		2032267
	1		2051183		1		2052117
	1		2085050		1		2086583
	1		2101833		1		2102400
	1		2109133		0		2110550
	1		2111067		3		2113600
	3		2118167		2		2119167
	2		2125217		2		2125750
	2		2143333		7		2144600
	7		2153333		7		2153933
	7		2157117		7		2157683
	8		2191850		4		2193600
	4		2197200		4		2198017
	4		2198700		8		2199817
--
David D. Stubbs

mauney@ncsu.UUCP (Jon Mauney) (02/06/85)

Why not organize the system so that every menu has an extra entry.
The 0th entry in the menu is always the default, but its content
changes; it will duplicate one of the other entries in the menu,
containing the last selection (or a default chosen by some other algorithm).
In this way it is easy to repeat the last selection, but the positions
of the entries don't change, and neither does the initial position of
the cursor.
--

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR SIGNATURE ***

Jon Mauney    mcnc!ncsu!mauney    C.S. Dept, North Carolina State University

rcb@rti-sel.UUCP (Random) (02/06/85)

In article <778@sdcsla.UUCP> norman@sdcsla.UUCP (Donald A. Norman) writes:
>In article <722@ihuxa.UUCP> steffen@ihuxa.UUCP (Joe Steffen) writes:
>>When you press a mouse button to pop-up a menu, should the top item be the
>>default selection, or the last item you selected on the menu?  The latter
>>has the advantage that clicking the menu button repeats the last operation,
>
>An important principle, but one little remarked upon, is that of spatial
>consistency.  Spatial information is a very important and powerful cue for
>remembering things.  It is important not to violate this principle.   A
>pop-up menu that reogranizes itself with each usage violates this principle.
>(I am almost tempted to say that it violates human decency, but that, of
>course, would be flaming.)

	How about this. the menu has all the selections normally plus a
blank entry at the top (where the mouse initially points). Then after each
usage, the last used entry is duplicated in the default slot.

					Random
					Research Triangle Institute
					...!mcnc!rti-sel!rcb

> My point is pums wouldn't be needed if there was enough electronic
> workspace to have all necessary menus and the task at hand visible at
> all times.

Of course they wouldn't be needed, but this doesn't mean they wouldn't
be desirable.  The ability to have something pop up only when needed,
and go away (without having to be explicitly put away) when not needed,
is a new degree of flexibility that just doesn't exist with papers on
a desk top.  Personally, I think that this technique is valuable even
with a large screen, for clutter reduction if nothing else.

The objective at hand is not simulation of a desk top, but provision of
a good working environment.  The "papers on a desk" model is a useful
guide, but it's not the be-all and end-all of environments.  One of the
big differences between the screen and the desk top is that the screen
is under computer control and can be changed -- in useful ways, one hopes --
at high speed.  Discarding pop-up menus and related methods just because
the screen gets bigger is throwing the baby out with the bath water.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

gig@ritcv.UUCP (gordon ) (02/07/85)

> Keywords:pop-up,menu
>

> The debate on pop-up menus (pums) is a symptom of a fundamental flaw in
> current computer systems. Not enough screen space to hold a complete
> work space. No more need be said about the analogy of the tty screen to
> a desk top. Or the attempts to mimic a desk top with a clever interface...
> My point is pums wouldn't be needed if there was enough electronic
> workspace to have all necessary menus and the task at hand visible at
> all times....
> Current window packages already provide the software methods to manage
> multiple screens. It will be only a matter of time before some daring
> young company breaks out of the single screen mentality. It will be
> like breaking a dam.
>
> Ken Warner... somewhere in the northwest.

Computer systems designed for clearly defined tasks such as CAD/CAM often use
multiple display devices already but more general purpose systems face a
paradigmatic problem.  Multiple displays seems analogous to replacing a database
with file cards pasted all over the walls like wall paper.  The window or pum is
an abstraction that actually simplifies and improves the quality of interaction
by reducing complexity of interaction.  Or did I miss your point. It is not
conceivable to me that I would want to clutter my working environment with
displays.  That would not be using a system to manage complexity.

Gordon Goodman...Rochester Institute of Technology

warner@orca.UUCP (Ken Warner) (02/08/85)

In article <365@harvard.ARPA> marie@harvard.ARPA (Marie desJardins) writes:
	>.... -- it's much more convenient than hunting around a desk
	>for a file folder,
In one sense this is the point I am trying to make. Using pums is sort
of like hunting around a small desk. On a big desk you can spread things
out and find what you're looking for faster.

	>.... But I do think that the compactness is one of the beauties
	>of these systems.  (Not that a somewhat bigger screen wouldn't
	>be nicer, but you must admit it's easier to keep yourself
	>organized when you're somewhat limited.)
	>	marie@harvard
Keeping organized wears me out.

Ken Warner

drforsey@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Forsey) (02/09/85)

In article <455@zeus.UUCP> bobr@zeus.UUCP (Robert Reed) writes:
>Ken Warner claims that the only purpose of pop up menus (pums) is to
>conserve screen space.  He overlooks the fact that pums are also used to
>reduce arm motion in menu selection.

This effect: of working in one area of the screen and having to constantly
change your focus of attention to another part of the screen, or another
region entirely, has been given a name.  It is referred to as

The Wimbleton Effect.

Courtesy Marceli Wien, National Research Council. Ottawa, Canada.

mauney@ncsu.UUCP (Jon Mauney) (02/09/85)

> 	>.... -- it's much more convenient than hunting around a desk
> 	>for a file folder,
> In one sense this is the point I am trying to make. Using pums is sort
> of like hunting around a small desk. On a big desk you can spread things
> out and find what you're looking for faster.
>
> Keeping organized wears me out.

Of course, you can see what will happen in 5 years:
  Everyone will be dependent on overlaid windows on high-resolution
  screens for all their activities.  The result will be *lots* of
  windows open at once, so that it is very hard to find the one you're
  looking for.  Someone will invent a system with a "window finder":
    all you have to do is type in the name of the window, and that
    window moves to the top.  If there is no such window, one is created
    for the corresponding function.  Soon, someone will realize
    that windows aren't necessary, because one can just as easily
    type the name every time.
That's called progress.
--

riks@athena.UUCP (Rik Smoody) (02/14/85)

> > 	>.... -- it's much more convenient than hunting around a desk
> > 	>for a file folder,
> > In one sense this is the point I am trying to make. Using pums is sort
> > of like hunting around a small desk. On a big desk you can spread things
> > out and find what you're looking for faster.
> >
> > Keeping organized wears me out.
> >
> Of course, you can see what will happen in 5 years:
>   Everyone will be dependent on overlaid windows on high-resolution
>   screens for all their activities.  The result will be *lots* of
>   windows open at once, so that it is very hard to find the one you're
>   looking for.  Someone will invent a system with a "window finder":
>     all you have to do is type in the name of the window, and that
>     window moves to the top.  If there is no such window, one is created
>     for the corresponding function.  Soon, someone will realize
>     that windows aren't necessary, because one can just as easily
>     type the name every time.
> That's called progress.
> --
>
> Jon Mauney    mcnc!ncsu!mauney    C.S. Dept, North Carolina State University

Doesn't happen that way in practice.  The folks at the labs have their
individual styles of laying out their windows juast as they have their
styles of spreading out their desks.  There are some fastidious folks
who have just one paper on their desks at any given time, the rest in
file drawers.  Their screens look ridiculously neat.  Just one or two
windows open at  atime, the rest hiding in the corner.

Then there are us normal folks: a bunch of windows overlapping every which
way.  So, what's the problem remembering that your "rogue" window is over
on the right and the "vi" window is over on the left?
It's just like journals on the desk.

Rik Smoody, Tektronix