[net.cog-eng] mouse cursors and default menu selections

shubin@bartok.DEC (when's lunch?) (02/01/85)

> [in a message on NET.COG-ENG Joe Steffen, AT&T Bell Labs, asked:]
> When you press a mouse button to pop-up a menu, should the top item be the
> default selection, or the last item you selected on the menu?  The latter
> has the advantage that clicking the menu button repeats the last operation,
> but
> 	1) is error prone because you have to remember the last operation
> 	   and if you forget you will select the wrong one,
> 	2) you have to decide whether to move the mouse up or down to get
> 	   to the correct item if you don't want the last item you selected.
> Thus you will save time if you repeat a selection and lose the half second
> deciding which way to go if you don't repeat.

I'm not sure that I agree with either of your suggestions.  I'm assuming
that by "top item" you mean the first item on the menu.

Having the top item be the last item that was selected implies dynamically
re-ordering the menu, which will lose more in confusion than it could
gain.  In fact, the other choice, making the top item be the default
selection, might mean re-ordering it as well, because the same menu in
different contexts might have different defaults.

I'd prefer something like this:
	o When a mouse button is pressed, the popup menu appears where
	  the cursor was;
	o the cursor appears on the default selection;
	o the menu is exited by moving the cursor a defined distance away
	  from the menu.

That third bullet is there because it's probably the same amount of
movement to move away from the menu as to go to an EXIT choice, and because
the EXIT choice might wind up being the "previous selection" (see next
paragraph).

I would still have the default choice be the previous selection, because
that's as likely as any other to be the desired choice this time.  But if
the menu has an EXIT choice, this doesn't work -- users will infrequently
want to EXIT from a menu that's just popped up.

					-- hal shubin
					   AI Technology Group
					   Digital Equipment Corp.
					   Hudson, MA

					   ...!decwrl!rhea!bartok!shubin
					   decwrl!rhea!bartok!shubin@/su-shasta
					   			     \berkeley

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (02/02/85)

In article <420@decwrl.UUCP> shubin@bartok.DEC (when's lunch?) writes:

>Having the top item be the last item that was selected implies dynamically
>re-ordering the menu, which will lose more in confusion than it could
>gain.  In fact, the other choice, making the top item be the default
>selection, might mean re-ordering it as well, because the same menu in
>different contexts might have different defaults.

Dynamic reordering in a pop-up menu seems counter intuitive to me. I've
been using my Macintosh for a while now, and the way it uses pop up menu's
is flexible and easy to get used to. Each major category is shown at the
top of the screen, and clicking on that brings out the pop-up menu.
pointing at an item in the pop-up highlights it, and de-clicking (is there
a better term?) activates it. Moving off of the pop-up deactivates it
again. There are no defaults.

A big advantage of this is that it allows browsing. You can bring forward
all of your pop-up menu's one at a time and look through them if you wish,
with the complete safety and knowledge that nothing will happen unless you
explicitly ask for it. Setting up defaults implies that something will
happen, and if you are searching for an action it becomes possible to
execute the default accidently, which causes users to inhibit their
actions. The only good default action is no action.

The Mac, BTW, is a good interface. It is fast (enough) for me, and had
enough power for me to really sit and play with interfaces. There are some
glitches-- having used 2, 3, and 4 button mooses before the Mac, I really
find a single button a hindrance-- my personal favorite is a two button
moose...

chuq
--
From the ministry of silly talks:               Chuq Von Rospach
{allegra,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Life, the Universe, and lots of other stuff  is a trademark of AT&T Bell Labs

jss@sjuvax.UUCP (J. Shapiro) (02/06/85)

[Aren't you hungry...?]

	When Apple adapted the pop-up menu/mouse combination (and bitmapped
display), they made some programming commitments to non-modal software.
This idea basically runs "The less the user has to remember about the
properties of the state he is in, the better." Remapping the meaning of
keys or the position of options on a menu is clearly prone to having people
forget the current mapping. How well would you do if someone kept remapping
the letters on your keyboard?

	The claim has been made that an exit option on a pop-up menu
typically involves as little cursor motion as moving out of the area. This
is true, but:

	1. Adding exit increases the size of the pop-up window, thereby
	overlaying more of the underlying area which provides visual
	reminder of what the user was doing when he picked the menu.

	2. The natural thing for the user to do to deselect a window is
	to move out of it. If a selection is highlighted, reasonable natural
	behaviour is disallowed, which defeats the purpose of pop-up windows.

	One of the nicest things about bitmap displays is that they allow
applications to be flexible and easy to use for an expert while at the same
time (if carefully used) decreasing the chances that a novice will lose
themselves. I often get the impression that too little attention is given
to the fact that the application user wants to use the program in the least
brain straining fashion, and in most cases if that means an extra
centimeter motion of a mouse, big deal.

	With the advent of the popular bitmap display, we have a chance to
explore thoroughly the implications of user interface design. Apple has
made a start.  There are things I don't like about it, but we have a chance
to explore what is good, what we would prefer, and what is *EASY TO USE*.
Where ease of use does not conflict with flexibility and does not seriously
infringe on user convenience, I believe it should be actively sought. Is
having to move the mouse that extra inch really so painful in this light?

	Comments are welcome.  I am thinking of doing a thesis on this
topic and would like to hear alternate views. I would like to see the day
when the programmer/user interface becomes satisfactory to both. That takes
compr0mise, but I think that the bitmapped display with mouse/trackball
has potential.

	As usual, my opinions only.

Jon Shapiro
Haverford College

> ... I often get the impression that too little attention is given
> to the fact that the application user wants to use the program in the least
> brain straining fashion, and in most cases if that means an extra
> centimeter motion of a mouse, big deal.

Designing a user interface that works well for both novice and experienced
users isn't easy.  The problem with your observation is that any serious
user of a given application very quickly graduates out of the "novice"
category, for that application.  Making things simple for the novice must
not imply making things slow for the person who uses the application
every day and knows what he's doing.  Ease of use for the naive user is
important, but it's not the only issue.

Producing a user interface that meets this criterion is, uh, non-trivial.
(Not impossible, mind you, contrary to persistent folklore; just extremely
hard work.)  The nice thing about bitmap displays is that the richer methods
of interaction -- e.g., pop-up menus -- make this so much easier.  But a
bitmap display and a mouse are not a substitute for long, hard thought by
the user-interface designer.

Re-ordering menus definitely loses.  Not only does it have potential for
confusing the novice, but it'll mess up the experienced user quite
badly.  Experienced users "touch type" menus:  they know where the entry
they want is, and they go to it without actually re-reading the menu.
For the same reason, menu items that are inapplicable to the current
circumstances should be dimmed out rather than deleted entirely.

Whether the menu should pop up with the previous selection under the
cursor... I don't know.  I suspect it's too error-prone, and that the
experienced-user's "touch typing" will be fouled up by not having the
other menu items in a constant position relative to the initial cursor
position.  Perhaps what is wanted is a "same again" key-sequence so
that the experienced user can bypass the menu entirely.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

wfi@unc.UUCP (William F. Ingogly) (02/09/85)

> themselves. I often get the impression that too little attention is given
> to the fact that the application user wants to use the program in the least
> brain straining fashion, and in most cases if that means an extra
> centimeter motion of a mouse, big deal.

This is certainly true of the novice user, but the extra movement can
get to be a pain after using the program four hours a day for two
years. With regard to the 'repeat last command' idea, I like Random's
idea from Research Triangle Institute of using an extra menu slot for
the repeat function. But why not have a long, skinny slot that runs
the length of the menu, thus minimizing the hand motion needed to
repeat the last command:

                   ----------------------------
                   |    Command 1      |  R   |
                   |-------------------|  E   |
                   |    Command 2      |  P   |
                   |-------------------|  E   |
                   |    Command 3      |  A   |
                   |-------------------|  T   |
                   |       etc.        |      |

This would allow you to repeat the last command with the same amount
of movement no matter where you were in the menu or how long the menu
was.

> 	With the advent of the popular bitmap display, we have a chance to
> explore thoroughly the implications of user interface design. Apple has
> made a start.  There are things I don't like about it, but we have a chance
> to explore what is good, what we would prefer, and what is *EASY TO USE*.
> Where ease of use does not conflict with flexibility and does not seriously
> infringe on user convenience, I believe it should be actively sought. Is
> having to move the mouse that extra inch really so painful in this light?
>
> 	Comments are welcome.  I am thinking of doing a thesis on this
> topic and would like to hear alternate views. I would like to see the day
> when the programmer/user interface becomes satisfactory to both. That takes
> compr0mise, but I think that the bitmapped display with mouse/trackball
> has potential.
>
> 	As usual, my opinions only.
>
> Jon Shapiro
> Haverford College

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (02/18/85)

while we're on the topic, what do people think of icon based systems?
i have only used one so my experiences are limited (PC Paintbrush) and
i have talked to people who have used others.  one complaint i hear is
that often an action is complex enough that the things have to be
arranged in a hierachy of selections.  after getting to be an expert
user, several people have said that they'd have prefered a command line
of some sort to do something instead of having to go through all the
icons and menus to do whatever they wanted to do.  does anyone have
more experience with different systems and/or references (technical or
nontechnical) dealing with this?  perhaps from xerox?

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

smith@wlcrjs.UUCP (Mark L. Smith) (02/22/85)

Apple's Mac Icons are OK, but the system assumption of certain file types for
particular programs (MacPaint uses MacPaint files) causes problems with the
user that wants to enter information in a word processing program, use Visicalc
on it and then make spreadsheets and graphs. Bad system organization can defeat
the best user symbols.