mjc@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Monica Cellio) (02/02/85)

From: ihnp4!pyuxqq!nosmo@ut-sally (P Valdata)
>Is the title of the hymn "Simple Gifts"?
>It is a lovely song whose words I have heard but have forgotten.
>If anyone knows the words, I'd appreciate your mailing or posting
>them.  Thank you.

Here is the version Clam Chowder performs.  It was a ShapeNote hymn and
originally only had one verse (at least, that's all they knew about).
Kathleen Sobansky wrote the second verse:

Simple Gifts

'tis a gift to be simple,
'tis a gift to be free,
'tis a gift to come down to where we ought to be.
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
It will be in the valley of love and delight.

Chorus:
    When true simplicity is gained,
    To bow and to bend, we will not be ashamed.
    To turn, turn, will be out delight
    'til by turning, turning, we will come 'round right.

'tis a gift to be simple,
'tis a gift to be free,
For the proud are cast down deeper than the sea.
The first shall be last and the last shall be first,
And the meek at last shall receive the earth.

Chorus

						-Dragon
--
UUCP: ...ucbvax!dual!lll-crg!dragon