[net.cog-eng] Speed Reading

warner@orca.UUCP (Ken Warner) (06/19/85)

When I was an under-grad at U.C.S.D. I saw a program demonstrated that
would print text. One word at a time. In the center of a vdt. At a
constant rate specified by the user.

The idea was to eliminate altogether the need for eye movements while
reading. The way I remember it is that there was some increase
in reading speed with no loss of comprehension. Don't remember how much.

The spitting out phrases in the same manner would be an interesting
experiment.

ccrbrian@ucdavis.UUCP (Brian Reilly) (06/21/85)

> When I was an under-grad at U.C.S.D. I saw a program demonstrated that
> would print text. One word at a time. In the center of a vdt. At a
> constant rate specified by the user.
>
> The idea was to eliminate altogether the need for eye movements while
> reading. The way I remember it is that there was some increase
> in reading speed with no loss of comprehension. Don't remember how much.
>
> The spitting out phrases in the same manner would be an interesting
> experiment.

The device you referred to is, I think, called
a tachistiscope (sp?).  These were widely used in
the 50's to train people to read faster, but the
argument against them is that you don't have one
when you are reading a book, so there is less transfer
of skill than with techniques based on work done
with printed material.

I have seen a program for various micro-computers which
does the same thing, and even lets you vary the rate and
the width of the phrase presented.  The Evelyn Wood company
has their course available in this manner.

		Brian Reilly
--
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
     Brian Reilly                    Davis, CA 95616

norman@sdcsla.UUCP (Donald A. Norman) (06/22/85)

>> When I was an under-grad at U.C.S.D. I saw a program demonstrated that
>> would print text. One word at a time. In the center of a vdt. At a
>> constant rate specified by the user.
>>

>The device you referred to is, I think, called a tachistiscope (sp?).

OOPS, time for me to jump in.  The reference is NOT to tachistiscopic
presentation but to a completely different concept called RSVP (Rapid
Serial Visual Presentation).  The demonstration was probably seen in my lab
(a program written by Craig Will).    We did not invent RSVP -- that was done
elsewhere.  There have been about a dozen psychological papers published
on the topic.  I can retrieve references for anyone who wishes to follow up
on the technique (try searching Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human
Perception and Performance: go back at least 8 years).

The technique is to open a window 1 character high and about 39 characters
wide.    Then, take the text to be read and present it one word at a time,
centered, in the window.  Present it fast.  600 words/minute = 100
msec./word.   That's a good starting point.  The ideal method gives the
reader a control of speed.  A knob (joystick -- mouse) can be used. Or you
can use a key.  Space = speed up; non-space = slow down.

You can indeed read much faster this way, with comprehension.  It demands
intense concentration on the part of the reader (which is typical of all speed
reading methods).  I find it quite unsatisfying: subjectively, I feel that the
spatial arrangement on the page is useful, and I miss it.   It is no good for
figures, of course.

Speed reading versus RSVP: Anyone can learn to speed read at roughly the
same speed.  A difference is that to do speed reading you have to force
yourself to concentrate, to avoid retracing material ("regressions"), and
to force yourself to keep up the speed.  Most people give up speed reading
after a few months.  The RSVP method  makes the control of speed external,
which makes it easier for many people to keep using it.   With RSVP, eye
movements are eliminated, whereas in speed reading, you have to learn how to
control them.

With the sample program we had running I tried reading my mail with it for a
while (it would be great for plowing through the AI digest on USENET).
But you can't skip ahead -- you have to plow through everything at the same
rate.

So, if you want to (approximately) double your reading speed, try it.   But you
may not like it.

 Donald A. Norman
 Institute for Cognitive Science C-015
 University of California, San Diego
 La Jolla, California 92093
 UNIX: {ucbvax,decvax}!sdcsvax!sdcsla!norman
 ARPA: norman@nprdc	CSNET: norman%nprdc.arpa@csnet-relay

jqj@cornell.UUCP (J Q Johnson) (06/23/85)

In article <292@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrbrian@deneb.UUCP (Brian Reilly) writes:
>The device you referred to is, I think, called a tachistiscope (sp?).
>These were widely used in the 50's to train people to read faster, but the
>argument against them is that you don't have one when you are reading a
>book, so there is less transfer of skill than with techniques based on
>work done with printed material.

Actually, a T-scope, although it can be used for such purposes, is not
at all suited for the task.  A T-scope is actually a box with a bunch
of electrically controlled mirrors and lights that allows an experimenter
to present a small number of different pictures/stimuli to a subject
in very rapid succession, with fine (millisecond) control over timing
and excellent control over illumination and registration.  Unfortunately,
the number of fields (different pictures) is typically 3 or 4, and changing
the picture in a field is typically done manually, so they are not well
designed for presenting more than 3 or 4 stimuli in rapid succession.

There has been a tremendous amount of research on eye movement and
reading in the past 5 years or so.  Could someone who knows this research
please summarize?  In particular, my understanding (am I correct?) is
that a typical reading strategy is to occasionally glance back at
previously scanned text (perhaps to save short term memory while processing
a syntactic transformation?), and that forward-only pacing reduces
comprehension (particularly of syntactically complex sentences?) by
interfering with this.

steiny@idsvax.UUCP (Don Steiny) (06/23/85)

> The technique is to open a window 1 character high and about 39 characters
> wide.    Then, take the text to be read and present it one word at a time,
> centered, in the window.  Present it fast.  600 words/minute = 100
> msec./word.   That's a good starting point.  The ideal method gives the
> reader a control of speed.  A knob (joystick -- mouse) can be used. Or you
> can use a key.  Space = speed up; non-space = slow down.
>
> You can indeed read much faster this way, with comprehension.
>
>  Donald A. Norman

	Maybe there is a process like afterimages where the buffer
still contains the previous word when a new one comes in.
Did you try varying the pauses?   The experiment is not
incompatible with the idea that fluent readers read phrases.
If you put in longer pauses at phrase boundries then perhaps
the over-all reading speed could be increased even more.

	600 WPM is not very fast, I  often read fiction at
1000 WMP +.   At 600 WPM, perhaps the physical image of the previous
word is  still on the screen so the reader makes sense of it
in phrases anyway.

pesnta!idsvax!steiny
Don Steiny - Computational Linguistics
109 Torrey Pine Terr.  Santa Cruz, Calif. 95060
(408) 425-0832

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (07/08/85)

> > When I was an under-grad at U.C.S.D. I saw a program demonstrated that
> > would print text. One word at a time. In the center of a vdt. At a
> > constant rate specified by the user.
> >
> > The idea was to eliminate altogether the need for eye movements while
> > reading. The way I remember it is that there was some increase
> > in reading speed with no loss of comprehension. Don't remember how much.

Were any optometrists' opinion asked on these matters?  I am sure that
even if there are some short term gains to be had from this kind of
technique, the long-term side-effects (reduced vision due to lack of
exercise of eye muscles) probably far outweigh them.
--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

gaynor@topaz.ARPA (Gaynor) (07/11/85)

In article <1222@mnetor.UUCP>, sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) writes:

...a program flashing one word at a time producing some
increase in speed with no loss of comprehension, by
decreasing the total amount of eye-movements (paraphrase)...

> Were any optometrists' opinion asked on these matters?  I am sure that
> even if there are some short term gains to be had from this kind of
> technique, the long-term side-effects (reduced vision due to lack of
> exercise of eye muscles) probably far outweigh them.

Some speculation:

I wouldn't think there would be a significant weakening of the eye
muscles due to the amount of use they see :-), and I also think that
the significant portion of one's reading would still be of the normal
type.

I wonder at the original posting, though.  The time saved by the
reduction of eye-movements offsets the savings from expections of
what's to be read by periphal lookahead?

mmar@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Mitchell Marks) (07/16/85)

	I remember a relative of one of these devices being used in a
speed reading course I took, long long ago.  It was mechanical, not
electronic, and was called a tachistoscope.  The idea was not that it should
be used regularly as a display device, but to demonstrate to you how much
you do take in even in the short time each "frame" (word or line) was
displayed.  And it was not supposed to defeat peripheral vision but just
the opposite, show you that you could in fact rely on your peripheral
vision to some extent.
	The training was supposed to carry over to reading regular text in
books.  Having learned that you can take in several words (3 to 5?) in a
single fixation on the tachistoscope, when you went to normal page reading
you would give each line only two or three fixations.  (It also provided
pacing, which was supposed to similarly carry over to regular reading.)
--

            -- Mitch Marks @ UChicago
               ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!mmar

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (07/18/85)

> In article <1222@mnetor.UUCP>, sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) writes:
>
> ...a program flashing one word at a time producing some
> increase in speed with no loss of comprehension, by
> decreasing the total amount of eye-movements (paraphrase)...
>
> > Were any optometrists' opinion asked on these matters?  I am sure that
> > even if there are some short term gains to be had from this kind of
> > technique, the long-term side-effects (reduced vision due to lack of
> > exercise of eye muscles) probably far outweigh them.
>
> Some speculation:
>
> I wouldn't think there would be a significant weakening of the eye
> muscles due to the amount of use they see :-).

No speculation: my own vision varies greatly depending on how much
exercise my eye muscles get.  I am not alone in this.  According to my
optometrist, most people who develop myopia after the age of 12 have
a type of myopia who is caused not by some deformation of the eyes, but
by problems with the eye muscles.  Sorry, I cannot be more precise about
this.  I don't really know much more about the topic.
--

rosen@mtgzz.UUCP (t.rosenfeld) (07/23/85)

 > When I was an under-grad at U.C.S.D. I saw a program demonstrated that
 > would print text. One word at a time. In the center of a vdt. At a
 > constant rate specified by the user.
 >
 > The idea was to eliminate altogether the need for eye movements while
 > reading. The way I remember it is that there was some increase
 > in reading speed with no loss of comprehension. Don't remember how much.

Does anyone out there have source to such a program that runs on UNIX? I am
currently taking a speed reading course, but most of the techniques would not
work well on a vdt.

If no one has such a program it would seem like a worthwhile little project, ( I
wish I had the time). It seems alot of reading dynamics principals could be
incorporate with a few (simple) features:

	1) draw the screen from top to bottom, clearing it first, so that you
	could read while the screen was updating.

	2) Use some terminal capability such as underline or reverse-video
	to move through the text (in place of your finger). The speed could
	either be preset or controlled via the cursor keys. (Using such an
	underline technique seems more appropriate than simply flashing one word
	at a time. In this way you can use your peripheral vision, and
	alleviate any fears of atrophying your eye muscles.)

	(
--
Thomas Rosenfeld
		UUCP:		...mtgzz!rosen