[net.cog-eng] HAL from IBM

rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) (04/28/86)

(WHAT line ea

In a previous article, vis@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Tom Courtney) writes:
> Gordon Joly writes:
> > Mark leeper says:-
> >
> >> I talked to Clarke about 2001 in 1969 and he brought up the HAL/IBM
> >> question himself.  He said that it was just a surprising coincidence.
> >
> >With odds of 1/8788 against, maybe it was more a case of subconscious
> >reasoning, as in Kekule's discovery of the structure of the benzene
> >molecule, and in the deciphering of Samuel Pepys' diaries. And the odds
> >must also take into account strings like S*X or BCA, musn't they?
> >
> The odds probably weren't so bad. Suppose Clarke was looking for a three
> letter acronym that was actually a name? Then he's restricted to a much
> smaller set of possibilities (HAL, SAL, SAM, ART, etc... [not ETC]).
> Furthermore, after the fact, lots of things look like the odds were
> too horrendous to be coincidence.

    Indeed.  I am reminded of the oft-quoted observation that *every*
bridge hand dealt has astronomical odds against it.  The HAL/IBM
coincidence would be interesting only if the "HAL" wasn't pronouncable.
If Clarke had chosen "JCL" (now where have I heard *that* acronym....)
then there would be little doubt of his inspiration.   Simalarly if he
had chosen "CDB" or "EFD".........

--
Robert Bickford     {lll-crg,hplabs}!well!rab