[net.cog-eng] "retention of text from paper vs crt"

greenberg@calgary.UUCP (Saul Greenberg) (05/02/86)

> Does anyone know of any research about the difference in retention
> of text from paper and CRTs?

You can find a related set of references to some research in human factors
of reading text on paper vs crt in
  Shneiderman, Ben. 1984 Human factors issues of manuals, online help, and
      tutorials, Research report CAR-TR-91, CS-TR-1446, Dept of Computer
      Science, U. of Maryland"

Although this paper discusses design issues for manuals, it also offers
a wonderful survey on such diverse areas as speed of reading hard copy
versus a screen and the effectiveness of on line help. It also describes
the syntactic/semantic model as a basis for deciding when it is appropriate
to teach the user something. Recommends designing the manual before
implementation.

Please send me a summary of your replies. Thanks!
Saul Greenberg / Laboratory of Man machine studies
Dept of Computer Science
U. of Calgary
Calgary, Alberta Canada T2N 1N4

ria@ptsfd.UUCP (Rich Anderson) (05/07/86)

In article <18@excalibur.UUCP> 210506860@excalibur.UUCP (Wyle) writes:

>Does anyone know of any research about the difference in retention
>of text from paper and CRTs?  We have collected data, and are looking
>for related work.  We are interested in retention of a 100 word text,
>and the difference in retention of the text between CRT and paper media.
>
>Any reference or phone number would be greatly appreciated!

     Contact the Center for the Study of Reading at the University of
Illinois (55 Gerty Drive, Champaign).  Comparisons of this nature have been
made as a subset of other work.  For example, research on studying attempted
to duplicate studying paper texts on PLATO screens (they created some
exceptional software for this); to make conclusions generalizable to studying
from paper texts, comparisons between the use of paper and the use of PLATO
were essential.  Names of key people involved in this type of work include
Thomas Anderson and George McConkie.  (Sorry that I no longer recall the zip
code or phone number; McConkie has a UNIX system there, so you may be able to
reach them via the net.)