[net.cog-eng] "The Knowledge"

gordon@warwick.UUCP (04/22/86)

"The Knowledge" is a test which London taxi drivers have to pass
as part of the requirements of their profession. It is quite simply
a question of learning the streets of a section of the capital.
The method they employ is to go around the streets, learning as
they go. They do not stare at a map. Some instruction is given in
the classroom, however.
To me, this highlighted the differences in the learning process,
between a machine system and a human, rather well. Humans are not
computers or machine systems of any sort.

Gordon Joly  -- {seismo,decvax,ucbvax}!mcvax!ukc!warwick!gordon

greg@cs.hw.AC.UK (Greg Michaelson) (04/23/86)

> "The Knowledge" is a test which London taxi drivers have to pass
> as part of the requirements of their profession. It is quite simply
> a question of learning the streets of a section of the capital.
> The method they employ is to go around the streets, learning as
> they go. They do not stare at a map. Some instruction is given in
> the classroom, however.
> To me, this highlighted the differences in the learning process,
> between a machine system and a human, rather well.

So why do so many people spend their leasure hours building electronic
mice which learn their way round mazes?

gordon@warwick.UUCP (Gordon Joly) (04/26/86)

In article <804@brahma.cs.hw.AC.UK>, greg@cs.hw.AC.UK (Greg Michaelson) writes
> So why do so many people spend their leasure hours building electronic
> mice which learn their way round mazes?
Ah. You do not understand the subtlety of the experiments which
the mice are performing on the scientists.
BTW, I discovered that the apprentice cabbies have to *learn* 481 separate
from a book called "The Blue Book". They are not given a street map.

Gordon Joly -- {decvax,ucbvax,seismo}!mcvax!ukc!warwick!gordon

drew@ukma.UUCP (Andrew Lawson) (04/28/86)

In article <275@euclid.warwick.UUCP> gordon@euclid.UUCP (Gordon Joly) writes:
>To me, this highlighted the differences in the learning process,
>between a machine system and a human, rather well. Humans are not
>computers or machine systems of any sort.
>
>Gordon Joly  -- {seismo,decvax,ucbvax}!mcvax!ukc!warwick!gordon

How is this? Humans are biological machines which happen
to have the ability to learn.  Although learning in the general
case has not been quantified, this does not mean that it cannot.

Humans are simply such weak learners that they cannot remember the
map you mention.

--
Drew Lawson
					cbosgd!ukma!drew

gordon@warwick.UUCP (Gordon Joly) (04/28/86)

Interesting to note that Fred Housego, a London taxi driver, won
the Mastermind final a few years ago.
(Mastermind is a "intellectual" TV quiz show in the U.K.)

Gordon Joly -- {decvax,ucbvax,seismo}!mcvax!ukc!warwick!gordon

gordon@warwick.UUCP (Gordon Joly) (05/08/86)

I am a human being, and not a machine of any kind. I had to
learn my multiplication tables at school. A teacher showed me
me how to add; I made up my own rules.

Gordon Joly -- {seismo,ucbvax,decvax}!mcvax!ukc!warwick!gordon

gordon@warwick.UUCP (Gordon Joly) (05/20/86)

In article <283@euclid.warwick.UUCP> gordon@euclid.UUCP (Gordon Joly) writes:
>I am a human being, and not a machine of any kind. I had to
>learn my multiplication tables at school. A teacher showed me
>me how to add; I made up my own rules.
>
>Gordon Joly -- {seismo,ucbvax,decvax}!mcvax!ukc!warwick!gordon

Word up, my human friend. They are going to teach me to touch-type!

Greetings to All Material Intelligent Beings!
from
The Joka.

Disclaimer -- These opinions are not those of my programmer,
              or the operating system in which I reside.