[net.cog-eng] PhD programs in Cognitive Science?

rosen@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Rob Rosen) (09/20/86)

	Can anyone give me some pointers to programs in the relatively
new area of Cognitive Science?  I was disappointed to find out that my
current institution, although having a Cognitive Science Consortium,
does not have a PhD program in this field (word has it that a program
will exist in several years though).

	Any help would be greatly appreciated.

	%%Rob

          "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste
	   (or intelligence) of the American public."

	                --H.L. Mencken

		Rob Rosen: rosen@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU
			   ucbvax!rosen

halff@utah-cs.UUCP (Henry M. Halff) (09/20/86)

In article <15726@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, rosen@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Rob Rosen) writes:

> 	Can anyone give me some pointers to programs in the relatively
> new area of Cognitive Science?  I was disappointed to find out that my
> current institution, although having a Cognitive Science Consortium,
> does not have a PhD program in this field (word has it that a program
> will exist in several years though).

If you just want the term "cognitive science" on your diploma, then you
might consider UCSD's Institute of Cogniive Science, Brown, and, I think,
Rochester.  If your main interest is in learning the field, then consider
in addition, psychology and computer science at CMU,  the Learning
Research and Development Center at the University of Pittsburgh, the
Reading Center at the University of Illinois, and the Science and Math
Education Program in the College of Education at Berkeley.  I'm sure
there are others, so to all those programs that are clearly better than
any on this list, my apologies.
--
Henry M. Halff                                       Halff Resources, Inc.
halff@utah-cs.ARPA                 4918 33rd Road, N., Arlington, VA 22207

mikes@tekecs.UUCP (Michael Sellers) (09/22/86)

> 	Can anyone give me some pointers to programs in the relatively
> new area of Cognitive Science?  I was disappointed to find out that my
> current institution, although having a Cognitive Science Consortium,
> does not have a PhD program in this field (word has it that a program
> will exist in several years though).
>
> 	%%Rob

Good question!  I constructed my own major (BS '85 in Cognitive Science),
and would really like to get a graduate degree in it too.  My background is
about equal parts computer science, psychology, and biology (maybe a little
heavier on the computer science because of working for the past two years),
and it has been close to impossible to find anyone doing synthetic work
using all three areas (though I may have found a lead the other day ...heh
heh heh).  I realize that Rochester, CMU, Stanford, recently MIT, and Amherst
are all likely targets, but I haven't yet decided if I would want to leave
a comfortable job and house payment and subject my wife and kids to the
Student Syndrome again.
  Anyway, while I would like to see some (deeper than partisan) discussion of
various schools and programs, I'd also like to hear from anyone else who has
constructed their own program someplace (surely I can't be the only one?).
Any pointers?  And apropos to this, what ever happened at that seminar on
Teaching Cognitive Science (or some such, someone posted a survey on it
a while back).  I wasn't able to answer the survey, and I'd really like to
hear what happened with it and the seminar.  Anyone know anything about this?

P.S.
  In addition to being exceedingly interested in this sort of thing, and having
the background to support the interest, I find myself sometimes subject to an
almost panic about it all.  With all the books and articles and seemingly
substantive work being done (always somewhere else), I long ago realized that
I could not assimilate *everything* that is written on the subject (cog sci),
nor even read everything worthwhile after winnowing out the lesser stuff.
At times I am sure that I have Missed It All, only later to find that the
wheels of science are turning as slowly as ever.  I know how irrational this
all is, but it doesn't stop the anxiety when it occurs.  Does anyone else ever
feel anything like this, or have I *really* gone around the bend?

--

		Mike Sellers
	UUCP: {...your spinal column here...}!tektronix!tekecs!mikes

	   INNING:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  TOTAL
	IDEALISTS   0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    1
	 REALISTS   1  1  0  4  3  1  2  0  2    0

hestenes@sdics.UUCP (Eric Hestenes) (10/01/86)

In article <15726@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, rosen@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Rob Rosen) writes:

> 	Can anyone give me some pointers to programs in the relatively
> new area of Cognitive Science?  I was disappointed to find out that my
> current institution, although having a Cognitive Science Consortium,
> does not have a PhD program in this field (word has it that a program
> will exist in several years though).
>
> 	%%Rob

While many schools have undergraduate programs in Cognitive Science,
very few have graduate programs. UCSD, MIT, Brown, and ( i believe) Stanford
have Cognitive Science PHd programs. I believe that several UC schools
( Irvine, UCLA, Cal ) are setting up Phd programs.  You should look at
non-cognitive science departments that incorporate cognitive science.
Many schools have programs structured this way. For example, Carnegie Mellon,
Yale, UCLA and many others have people doing 'Cognitive Science' in the
psychology and computer science departments. At other schools they
do work in the philosophy or neuroscience departments.

Perhaps the best advice of all is to talk to members of specific departments
and to ask them if they are doing work that is interesting to you. Since
one of them will become your advisor eventually, you should get to know
their work and interests before you reach the school. You may also find
that many departments have subgroups that emphasize cognitive science,
or other areas that interest you in particular.

eric hestenes
hestenes@nprdc