[net.music] Kate Bush... Flamed once, or many times...

lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (palena) (11/05/85)

>> In all honesty, we much prefer Madonna.  Or just about anyone else!
>
>Well, that says it all, doesn't it?

      ...and once again that master of music at MIT looks down his
      nose and slyly,but gratuitously, insults another Kate Bush
      detractor.I feel compelled (Paul Kirsch take notice!!!) to in-
      tercede on this fine person's behalf.

>> tries too hard to be "artistic".
>
>Well that's just something to be *real* ashamed of!

         ...Doug, your stupidity is something to be *real* as-
         hamed of! This person isn't saying that K--- B--- *is*
         too artistic,but that she *tries* to be artistic!! The
         general implication here is that she fails.

            It's interesting to ask "*WHAT* is an 'Art Rocker'?"
         You seem to define that term yourself!! And specifcally
         to apply to You-Know-Who!! How artistic can a performer be
         who can't get any exposure except on MTV and "Rate-a-Record"
         contests on the local dance stations???!!!

            Even the AOR "dreck" stations seem to want no part in her.
         WMMR,in Phila., was the world's first AOR station,and is con-
         sidered a rather hip one,at that.In addition to the old dino-
         saurs,they play music like "Tears For Fears" and "Simple Minds".
         But do they play K--- B---???!!?? NOOOO!!!

            WXPN,broadcasted as a public service out of Univ. of Penn.,
         is the city's most "with-it" station;Do they play K--- B---?!!!

                 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

          It seems that as a K--- B--- novitiate,my chance of hearing her
         is on MTV or WCAU,the local "Hot-Hits" station!! I guess that's
         what it means to follow the careers of "Art Rockers".

              The answer is this;K--- B--- is an ultra-gimmicky pop
         singer whose ridiculous music is not considered palatable
         to American audiences.This neatly explains why serious sta-
         tions want no  part in her,and why only the must adventurous
         pop venues sponser her.She is no more artistic than WHAM!

             Do I need to hear her to come to all these brilliant con-
         clusions?? NOOO,because so much has been written about her on
         this net by people who have heard her,and I read it faithful-
         ly!!

           Let me close this tirade with two points;

      1- Doug Alan has a serious sexual infatuation with K--- B---
         and probably doesn't hear her music anyway!!!!

      2- She is *NOT* an artist,nor worth the time he devotes to
         her on net.music,which he has been asked to **CURTAIL MANY
         TIMES***!!!!

                                             Righteously yours,
                                              Larry Palena

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (11/05/85)

In article <2521@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (Larry Palena) writes:

>>> In all honesty, we much prefer Madonna.  Or just about anyone else!
>>
>>Well, that says it all, doesn't it?
>>

>      ...and once again that master of music at MIT looks down his
>      nose and slyly,but gratuitously, insults another Kate Bush
>      detractor.I feel compelled (Paul Kirsch take notice!!!) to in-
>      tercede on this fine person's behalf.

Well Larry--here--I'm taking notice...

>>> tries too hard to be "artistic".
>>
>>Well that's just something to be *real* ashamed of!
>>
>         ...Doug, your stupidity is something to be *real* as-
>         hamed of! This person isn't saying that K--- B--- *is*
>         too artistic,but that she *tries* to be artistic!! The
>         general implication here is that she fails.
>
>            It's interesting to ask "*WHAT* is an 'Art Rocker'?"
>         You seem to define that term yourself!! And specifcally
>         to apply to You-Know-Who!! How artistic can a performer be
>         who can't get any exposure except on MTV and "Rate-a-Record"
>         contests on the local dance stations???!!!
>
>            Even the AOR "dreck" stations seem to want no part in her.
>         WMMR,in Phila., was the world's first AOR station,and is con-
>         sidered a rather hip one,at that.In addition to the old dino-
>         saurs,they play music like "Tears For Fears" and "Simple Minds".
>         But do they play K--- B---???!!?? NOOOO!!!
>
>            WXPN,broadcasted as a public service out of Univ. of Penn.,
>         is the city's most "with-it" station;Do they play K--- B---?!!!
>
>                 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Larry--You are sadly mistaken--I have heard Kate Bush many times on WXPN
both on their new music show (Yesterday's Now Music Today) and the space-
art rock show (Diaspar). I wouldn't consider WMMR a pioneer in new music--
they're like evry other big rock station--they play it safe until something's
a hit--They never played Tears For Fears OR Simple Minds until both bands
had Top 40 singles.

Larry--the most "with it" station in Philly is Drexel University's WKDU--
they play new music all the time. WXPN has one new music show a day--that's
it.

--

Another wunnerful letter from the semi-intelligent rotting brain of:

                              Paul Kirsch
                              St. Joseph's University
                              Philadelphia, Pa

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!kirsch

Warning: Objects in Terminal Room are Closer than they Appear...

lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (palena) (11/06/85)

In article <2522@sjuvax.UUCP> kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) writes:
>In article <2521@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (Larry Palena) writes:
>>>
>>            Even the AOR "dreck" stations seem to want no part in her.
>>         WMMR,in Phila., was the world's first AOR station,and is con-
>>         sidered a rather hip one,at that.In addition to the old dino-
>>         saurs,they play music like "Tears For Fears" and "Simple Minds".
>>         But do they play K--- B---???!!?? NOOOO!!!
>>
>>            WXPN,broadcasted as a public service out of Univ. of Penn.,
>>         is the city's most "with-it" station;Do they play K--- B---?!!!
>>
>>                 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
>
>YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
>
>Larry--You are sadly mistaken--I have heard Kate Bush many times on WXPN
>both on their new music show (Yesterday's Now Music Today) and the space-
>art rock show (Diaspar). I wouldn't consider WMMR a pioneer in new music--
>they're like evry other big rock station--they play it safe until something's
>a hit--They never played Tears For Fears OR Simple Minds until both bands
>had Top 40 singles.
>
>Larry--the most "with it" station in Philly is Drexel University's WKDU--
>they play new music all the time. WXPN has one new music show a day--that's
>it.

      ...Paul,at the risk of starting another nine-rounder,I'm afraid
      I'm gonna hafta ask ya to give a more precise definition of "many
      time".I listened to YNMT quite often and really don't remember e-
      ver hearing her.Now I don't listen to Diaspar often but randomly
      so I should get a good distribution of what they play.(I used to
      listen often last year).Any Kate?? Noooooo!!!

         In all fairness Paul,if you listen to these shows heavily
      and have only heard her 2 or 3 times,you should say so.

         And your assessment of WKDU is highly overstated.

                                          Baton down the hatches!
                                           It's startin' agin!,

                                         Larry Palena

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (11/06/85)

In article <2523@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (palena) writes:
>In article <2522@sjuvax.UUCP> kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) writes:
>>In article <2521@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (Larry Palena) writes:
>>>>
>>>            Even the AOR "dreck" stations seem to want no part in her.
>>>         WMMR,in Phila., was the world's first AOR station,and is con-
>>>         sidered a rather hip one,at that.In addition to the old dino-
>>>         saurs,they play music like "Tears For Fears" and "Simple Minds".
>>>         But do they play K--- B---???!!?? NOOOO!!!
>>>
>>>            WXPN,broadcasted as a public service out of Univ. of Penn.,
>>>         is the city's most "with-it" station;Do they play K--- B---?!!!
>>>
>>>                 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
>>
>>YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
>>
>>Larry--You are sadly mistaken--I have heard Kate Bush many times on WXPN
>>both on their new music show (Yesterday's Now Music Today) and the space-
>>art rock show (Diaspar). I wouldn't consider WMMR a pioneer in new music--
>>they're like evry other big rock station--they play it safe until something's
>>a hit--They never played Tears For Fears OR Simple Minds until both bands
>>had Top 40 singles.
>>
>>Larry--the most "with it" station in Philly is Drexel University's WKDU--
>>they play new music all the time. WXPN has one new music show a day--that's
>>it.
>>
>      ...Paul,at the risk of starting another nine-rounder,I'm afraid
>      I'm gonna hafta ask ya to give a more precise definition of "many
>      time".I listened to YNMT quite often and really don't remember e-
>      ver hearing her.Now I don't listen to Diaspar often but randomly
>      so I should get a good distribution of what they play.(I used to
>      listen often last year).Any Kate?? Noooooo!!!
>
>         In all fairness Paul,if you listen to these shows heavily
>      and have only heard her 2 or 3 times,you should say so.
>
>         And your assessment of WKDU is highly overstated.
>
>                                          Baton down the hatches!
>                                           It's startin' agin!,
>
>                                         Larry Palena

Okay Larry, in all fairness I will tell you--I have heard her at least
once a week on both of these shows (honest). You may not *know* whne you're
hearing her because I have heard her many times when they didn't bother to
tell you that it was her.(especially true on diaspar) Diaspar has only started
playing her heavily this year (I'll concede that much).

WKDU is good if you like new english new music. No, not every show
is good (I am not a big fan of the hardcore shows) but there is an awful
lot that is good--it's one of the few places I can hear about bands from england(YNMT on WXPN leans toward american new music)

--

In article <2527@sjuvax.UUCP> kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) writes:
>In article <2523@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (Palena) writes:

>>>YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
>>>
>>>Larry--You are sadly mistaken--I have heard Kate Bush many times on WXPN
>>>both on their new music show (Yesterday's Now Music Today) and the space-
>>>art rock show (Diaspar). I wouldn't consider WMMR a pioneer in new music--
>>>they're like evry other big rock station--they play it safe until something's
>>>a hit--They never played Tears For Fears OR Simple Minds until both bands
>>>had Top 40 singles.
\
         ...Paul,I just gotta disagree with you here.I don't think you
         understand the relative nature of what I've said here.Among
         AOR stations,WMMR is rather open-minded.Compare them to their
         neighbors up the dial at 94;a station that want's to be as-
         sociated in the public's mind with young chicks in tight T-shirts
         giving the head-banging salute...

>>      ...Paul,at the risk of starting another nine-rounder,I'm afraid
>>      I'm gonna hafta ask ya to give a more precise definition of "many
>>      time".I listened to YNMT quite often and really don't remember e-
>>      ver hearing her.Now I don't listen to Diaspar often but randomly
>>      so I should get a good distribution of what they play.(I used to
>>      listen often last year).Any Kate?? Noooooo!!!
>>
>>         In all fairness Paul,if you listen to these shows heavily
>>      and have only heard her 2 or 3 times,you should say so.
>>

>Okay Larry, in all fairness I will tell you--I have heard her at least
>once a week on both of these shows (honest). You may not *know* whne you're
>hearing her because I have heard her many times when they didn't bother to
>tell you that it was her.(especially true on diaspar) Diaspar has only started
>playing her heavily this year (I'll concede that much).

      ...Paul are you reasonably sure you *know* they're playing her if
      the DJ doesn't say so??? My experience of Diaspar is that they end
      every five-song set with a twenty minute monologue,discussing the
      musicians and everything they've done for the past decade and every-
      one who's vaguely associated with them...etc.I really don't remember
      hearing many female vocalists on Diaspar.I don't think that Diaspar plays
      that much vocal music at all.

            And I don't believe that she's that heavily played on YNMT.
        Of course I listened often to YNMT during the past summer,maybe
        because the album about dogs has been released since then I've
        missed something.I doubt it though...

                                    Paul it takes guts to come to Doug
                                          Alan's aid,you're to be com-
                                          mended first,then lynched,

In article <2528@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (Larry Palena) writes:
>In article <2527@sjuvax.UUCP> kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) writes:

>\
>         ...Paul,I just gotta disagree with you here.I don't think you
>         understand the relative nature of what I've said here.Among
>         AOR stations,WMMR is rather open-minded.Compare them to their
>         neighbors up the dial at 94;a station that want's to be as-
>         sociated in the public's mind with young chicks in tight T-shirts
>         giving the head-banging salute...

If you mean not like WYSP, I'll agree with you--but I wouldn't consider them
a new music station in any sense of the word--just like any other large rock
station--and Kate Bush is a new artist.

>>>      ...Paul,at the risk of starting another nine-rounder,I'm afraid
>>>      I'm gonna hafta ask ya to give a more precise definition of "many
>>>      time".I listened to YNMT quite often and really don't remember e-
>>>      ver hearing her.Now I don't listen to Diaspar often but randomly
>>>      so I should get a good distribution of what they play.(I used to
>>>      listen often last year).Any Kate?? Noooooo!!!
>>>
>>>         In all fairness Paul,if you listen to these shows heavily
>>>      and have only heard her 2 or 3 times,you should say so.
>>>

>>Okay Larry, in all fairness I will tell you--I have heard her at least
>>once a week on both of these shows (honest). You may not *know* whne you're
>>hearing her because I have heard her many times when they didn't bother to
>>tell you that it was her.(especially true on diaspar) Diaspar has only started
>>playing her heavily this year (I'll concede that much).
>>

>      ...Paul are you reasonably sure you *know* they're playing her if
>      the DJ doesn't say so??? My experience of Diaspar is that they end
>      every five-song set with a twenty minute monologue,discussing the
>      musicians and everything they've done for the past decade and every-
>      one who's vaguely associated with them...etc.I really don't remember
>      hearing many female vocalists on Diaspar.I don't think that Diaspar plays
>      that much vocal music at all.
>
>            And I don't believe that she's that heavily played on YNMT.
>        Of course I listened often to YNMT during the past summer,maybe
>        because the album about dogs has been released since then I've
>        missed something.I doubt it though...

The way I know she is being played is that my brother is a Kate Bush freak
(I'm not condoning or condemning that--I am not a Kate Bush fan AT ALL)and
when both of us have been listening to diaspar or YNMT he has informed me
that Kate Bush is being played. (He has many of her albums) Larry--listen
to Fictitious on YNMT and on Diaspar--he's the DJ that plays her the most.
I have especially heard a lot on Diaspar of her recently--mostly from her
new album.

>                                    Paul it takes guts to come to Doug
>                                          Alan's aid,you're to be com-
>                                          mended first,then lynched,
>
>                                          Larry Palena

Editor's Note: Paul is not a KB fan. He just wanted the facts to be straight.
As far as KB postings go--Paul has found a new adeptness at using the "n"
key--Though others do have a right to read these same articles.
--

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (11/07/85)

>>>              The answer is this;K--- B--- is an ultra-gimmicky pop
>>>         singer whose ridiculous music is not considered palatable
>>>         to American audiences. [PALENA]

Palena's definition of ridiculous is anything he's never heard of or
doesn't understand.  Which, to paraphrase and bastardize Harlan Ellison,
means that to Palena, 99.9% of the world is ridiculous.

            --
Was that supposed to be an example of Palena's "humor"?

>>>         and why only the must adventurous pop venues sponser her.

I.e., those places that Palena has never heard of that play music he's
never heard of, because it's not "palatable" to his sensitive American
sensibilities.

>>>       1- Doug Alan has a serious sexual infatuation with K--- B---
>>>          and probably doesn't hear her music anyway!!!!
>>>       2- She is *NOT* an artist,nor worth the time he devotes to
>>>          her on net.music,which he has been asked to **CURTAIL MANY
>>>          TIMES***!!!!  [PALENA]

Yeah, by you, so what?  You've been asked by a number of people to curtail
your worshipful posting about Jimmy Page (do YOU have a serious sexual
infatuation problem?---how come the same rules don't apply?), and what has
been the result?

>>>            Even the AOR "dreck" stations seem to want no part in her.
>>>         WMMR,in Phila., was the world's first AOR station,and is con-
>>>         sidered a rather hip one,at that.In addition to the old dino-
>>>         saurs,they play music like "Tears For Fears" and "Simple Minds".
>>>         But do they play K--- B---???!!?? NOOOO!!!

"Even" the AOR dreck stations?  That sounds like a compliment to me.  Besides
aren't the "AOR dreck" stations the only ones who still play Led Zeppelin?

>>>            WXPN,broadcasted as a public service out of Univ. of Penn.,
>>>         is the city's most "with-it" station;Do they play K--- B---?!!!
>>>                 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

>>YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
>>Larry--You are sadly mistaken--I have heard Kate Bush many times on WXPN
>>   [PAUL KIRSCH]

[Larry then dribbles on, making excuses for his ignorance...]

>       ...Paul,at the risk of starting another nine-rounder,I'm afraid
>       I'm gonna hafta ask ya to give a more precise definition of "many
>       time".I listened to YNMT quite often and really don't remember e-
>       ver hearing her.Now I don't listen to Diaspar often but randomly
>       so I should get a good distribution of what they play.(I used to
>       listen often last year).Any Kate?? Noooooo!!!
>          In all fairness Paul,if you listen to these shows heavily
>       and have only heard her 2 or 3 times,you should say so. [PALENA]

He DID say many times.  Why do you assume he didn't mean it?
Perhaps what really happened is this:  Palena with his ears perked up only
for Led Zeppelin music, barely acknowledged any of the other music being
played, so when Kate Bush was played, he might have said to himself was
"Hmm, not bad, but it's no Whole Lotta Love..." and gone about his business,
not knowing who it was.  And the NEXT time it came on... and the next...  But
he wouldn't admit that, would he?

>>Larry--the most "with it" station in Philly is Drexel University's WKDU--
>>they play new music all the time. WXPN has one new music show a day--that's
>>it.  [KIRSCH]

>          And your assessment of WKDU is highly overstated.

Translation:  they don't play any Led Zeppelin, they play bands Palena
has never heard of, therefore the station stinks.
--
Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen.
					Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

soren@reed.UUCP (Soren Petersen) (11/07/85)

>            Even the AOR "dreck" stations seem to want no part in her.
>         WMMR,in Phila., was the world's first AOR station,and is con-
>         sidered a rather hip one,at that.In addition to the old dino-
>         saurs,they play music like "Tears For Fears" and "Simple Minds".
>         But do they play K--- B---???!!?? NOOOO!!!
>
>            WXPN,broadcasted as a public service out of Univ. of Penn.,
>         is the city's most "with-it" station;Do they play K--- B---?!!!
>
>                 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
>
>              The answer is this;K--- B--- is an ultra-gimmicky pop
>         singer whose ridiculous music is not considered palatable
>         to American audiences.This neatly explains why serious sta-
>         tions want no  part in her,and why only the must adventurous
>         pop venues sponser her.She is no more artistic than WHAM!

Wait a minute.  Who is it that considers KB not "palatable to American
audiences?  Since when do the program directors at commercial radio
stations have a monopoly on American taste?  I am an American and *I*
consider KB palatable.  Where does that leave you?  As a matter of fact
I am a DJ at a "with-it" radio station (KRRC Portland, The dirigible of
the Airwaves.  Radio Quartermile radius as one of my fellow DJs put it.)
And I sometimes play her.  This whole discussion is fast getting really
stupid, but I resent being called un-American, or weird, or something
just because my musical taste does not conform to what some middle-aged
burn-out thinks my age group should listen to.  So the local AOR station
doesn't play her.  SO WHAT?

>             Do I need to hear her to come to all these brilliant con-
>         clusions?? NOOO,because so much has been written about her on
>         this net by people who have heard her,and I read it faithful-
>         ly!!

For once I agree.  My opinion of her was irreparably warped when I heard
her before I ever even heard of the net.  My ten page critical exposition
of the life and times of Toejam Jawallaby is forthcoming.

>      2- She is *NOT* an artist,nor worth the time he devotes to
>         her on net.music,which he has been asked to **CURTAIL MANY
>         TIMES***!!!!
>                                             Righteously yours,
>                                              Larry Palena

By me also, a time or two, you may recall.
Baiting Doug is great fun, I've done it too, but can we all please SHUT UP?

				Have A Nice Day
					Soren Petersen

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev) (11/12/85)

In article <2119@reed.UUCP> soren@reed.UUCP (Soren Petersen) writes:

>>            Even the AOR "dreck" stations seem to want no part in her.
>>         WMMR,in Phila., was the world's first AOR station,and is con-
>>         sidered a rather hip one,at that.In addition to the old dino-
>>         saurs,they play music like "Tears For Fears" and "Simple Minds".
>>         But do they play K--- B---???!!?? NOOOO!!!
>>
>>            WXPN,broadcasted as a public service out of Univ. of Penn.,
>>         is the city's most "with-it" station;Do they play K--- B---?!!!
>>
>>                 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Uh, I feel ZI should drop my $0.02 worth...

The local TOP40-"new wave" top rating KROQ is playing Kate Bush in heavy
rotation. All local college stations ( the ones that play rock/pop/punk/etc)
play Kate Bush. What's most bizzare : local(?) chain of record stores has been
running radio ads for Kate Bush's album and offering a "MONEY BACK IF YOU DON'T
like it" deal -- that means they expect to sell a lot and have very few returns.

So, how's that for appeal to american tastes? ( OK, so California is NOT US :-)

-----
P.S. On the other hand another chain has been offering "MONEY BACK" deal on a
new "Shadowfax" release... May be LA area is growing more cosmic???
--
Disclamer: My employers go to church every Sunday, listen to Country music,
and donate money to GOP. I am just a deviant.
--------------------------------+...!{ihnp4|randvax}!ucla-cs!uclapic!oac6!oleg