[net.misc] The Morality of Hunting

jefff@cadovax.UUCP (Jeffery H. Fields) (07/16/85)

There has been  much  discussion  lately  regarding  the  morality  of
hunting  wild  game.   I  believe that the controversy over this issue
stems from the fact that we all live  in  a  post-industrial  agrarian
society.   I  would  like  to  introduce  the perspective of a hunter-
gatherer as it pertains to the morality of hunting.

I know a member of the Salish-Kootenai tribe in western Montana  named
Richard.   One  summer  day  he  told me he was going deer-hunting.  I
asked him how it was legal to hunt out of  season.   He  said  he  was
going  hunting  on  the  Flathead Indian Reservation as members of the
tribe can hunt there any time they wish.  I then  asked  him  what  he
thought  of  poachers  and  hunters  in  general.   He told me that he
thought poachers and hunters were generally conscientious people,  but
that  some  should not be allowed to own a rifle.  He has no objection
to poaching, if it is done with with respect for the prey.  It  angers
him  when  he sees a hunter sloshed to the gills on booze and tramping
through the country looking for something to kill.

Richard told me that the most important thing  about  hunting  is  the
spirit  in  which  it  is  done.   The  Native North Americans, as all
hunter-gatherer societies, have a religious reverence  for  the  earth
and its inhabitants.  When Richard goes hunting he prays to the spirit
of the animal.  He prays so that the animal  can  prepare  itself  for
death.   He  prays  that his aim will be true and that the animal will
die with a minimum amount of pain.  He prays for  permission  to  kill
the animal in order that he may live.

Once the animal is killed, it  is  customary  in  Richard's  tribe  to
remove  the  still-beating  heart  and  to divide it equally among the
hunting party who eat it.  From  a  western  white  middle-class  view
point  this  may  seem primitive and barbaric, but for Richard it is a
symbolic ritual that signifies the rebirth of the spirit of  the  dead
animal.   The  spirit  becomes one with the hunter who is strengthened
spiritually and physically.

In our high tech society we have become  divorced  from  this  spirit.
This  separation  began long ago, when we started to till the soil and
domesticate animals.  It is from this separation that our  perceptions
of  the  living  earth  have become clouded.  Please remember this the
next store-bought meal you eat.

--

				Jeff Fields
				{ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!jefff

Pax vobiscum.

foy@aero.ARPA (Richard Foy ) (08/08/85)

In article <709@cadovax.UUCP> jefff@cadovax.UUCP (Jeffery H. Fields) writes:

>Richard told me that the most important thing  about  hunting  is  the
>spirit  in  which  it  is  done.   The  Native North Americans, as all
>hunter-gatherer societies, have a religious reverence  for  the  earth
>and its inhabitants.  When Richard goes hunting he prays to the spirit
>of the animal.  He prays so that the animal  can  prepare  itself  for
>death.   He  prays  that his aim will be true and that the animal will
>die with a minimum amount of pain.  He prays for  permission  to  kill
>the animal in order that he may live.

It is interesting to compare and contrast this attitude with ours as
portrayed in the movie The Emerals Forrest.