[net.women.only] Moods, Foods, and Drugs

susie@uwmacc.UUCP (12/18/84)

In article <779@hound.UUCP> llfe@hound.UUCP (L.FENG) writes:
>You can celebrate once a month if you like.
>I think I would prefer to crawl into a hole
>and hide for a week.
>
>Some of us don't hurt so much as feel generally
>bitchy, rotten, and miserable.  And there are
>no drugs to fix THAT problem (but hugs do help).

Not entirely true. Fifty to 100 mg of vitamin B-6 per day
can be really helpful. Be careful not to take too much,
because women taking 500 or more mg have lost feeling in their
fingers, and had other nasty side effects. Magensium can also work.
(Again, be careful to take 100-200% of the RDA, and not more than
that.) Also, stay away from the pill! If you are very sensitive
to levels of progesterone and estrogen, the pill can make you
depressed all the time , instead of for just a few days a month.

The nurse-practicioner who I talked to about this recommends :
   low sugar and salt intake, no dairy products, little or no
alcohol, and no caffeine. Exercise is also supposed to help.
I couldn't eat that way (she seems to live on peanuts), but
the B-6, Magnesium, and exercise
seem to be sufficient.

                                Sue Brunkow