[net.misc] How Big Is A Trillion?

bcx@well.UUCP (Bryan Costales) (08/05/85)

In the past 6 years the United States has spent over one trillion dollars
on defense. Unfortunately, the average person has little concept of how large
an ammount of money that really is. To illustrate how big a trillion really
is, let me ask you some questions:

1. If a doctor told you that you only had a trillion seconds left to live, how
long do you suppose that would be?

2. If a cubic inch of sand contains say 100 grains along each edge, for
1000000 grains total, how much space would a trillion grains occupy?

3. If you had a trillion dollars to spend the day Christ was born, and managed
to spend $1,000,000.00 a day from then till now, how much would you have left?

Remember that a trillion is a million million. And we spend a trillion dollars
on "defense" in just 6 years! -- How much would it cost to pay $1,000.00 to
each and every man, woman and child in the Soviet Union?

--
	Bryan Costales
	( ...!dual!ptsfa!ski!eeg!bcx ...!ptsfa!well!bcx)

gdvsmit@watrose.UUCP (Riel Smit) (08/06/85)

In article <126@well.UUCP> bcx@well.UUCP (Bryan Costales) writes:

>Remember that a trillion is a million million.

mmmm... in America yes, in most other places a million million is but a
billion (bi-million?) -- which of course does not negate your questions.

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (08/08/85)

In article <126@well.UUCP> bcx@well.UUCP (Bryan Costales) writes:
>In the past 6 years the United States has spent over one trillion dollars
>on defense. Unfortunately, the average person has little concept of how large
>an ammount of money that really is. To illustrate how big a trillion really
>is, let me ask you some questions:
	(questions omitted)

A trillion dollars spent over 6 years, by a country of roughly 250
million people, amounts to about $700 per year per warm body, or $2800
per year for a family of 4.  With defense spending increasing, because
of inflation if for no other reason, the cost would have been less 6
years ago and would be more now... I'd guess about $900 per person this
year.  This is a lot easier to understand than questions about the size
of a cube containing a trillion grains of sand, or how long a trillion
seconds is.
--
David Canzi	"Adequacy -- is it enough?"

foy@aero.ARPA (Richard Foy ) (08/08/85)

In article <126@well.UUCP> bcx@well.UUCP (Bryan Costales) writes:

>an ammount of money that really is. To illustrate how big a trillion really
>
>on "defense" in just 6 years! -- How much would it cost to pay $1,000.00 to
>each and every man, woman and child in the Soviet Union?

These sort of calculations always amaze me and make me wonder about our
inability to see what we are doing.

I wonder if it might be easier and perhaps just as productive if we spent
about 0.1% of the defense budget to finance trips of private people carrying
individual gifts to the Soviet people.

rcook@uiucuxc.Uiuc.ARPA (08/09/85)

If you are trying to get a point across, you should include your answers.
I'm sure alot of people will not worry about figuring out the answers and
just forget about it. Why don't you post the figures and let us all in on
how much the DoD REALLY spends.

	 Rob Cook

UUCP:	 {ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!rcook

      'Life is just a cocktail party on the street'
			-Mick Jagger-

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (08/12/85)

A trillion dollars is a thousand dollars a year from every US citizen for
five years.
--
 Yuck! This coke tastes different!

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA

ea@mtuxo.UUCP (e.arias) (08/14/85)

REFERENCES:  <126@well.UUCP>, <104700001@uiucuxc>

	If someone were to give you $1,000 per second, and if the
	person gave you money at that rate for 24 hour a day, 365
	days a year... Do you know how long it would take to give
	you 1 Trillion Dollars?

	The answer is inbeded in the middle line of the next paragraph.

	1234567890aabbccddeeffgghhiijjkkllmmnnooppqqrrsstt1234567890
	9abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz32yearsabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz9
	1234567890aabbccddeeffgghhiijjkkllmmnnooppqqrrsstt1234567890

tjs@cbdkc1.UUCP ( Tom Stanions) (08/15/85)

In article <338@aero.ARPA> foy@aero.UUCP (Richard Foy (Veh. Systems)) writes:
>In article <126@well.UUCP> bcx@well.UUCP (Bryan Costales) writes:
>>on "defense" in just 6 years! -- How much would it cost to pay $1,000.00 to
>>each and every man, woman and child in the Soviet Union?
>
>I wonder if it might be easier and perhaps just as productive if we spent
>about 0.1% of the defense budget to finance trips of private people carrying
>individual gifts to the Soviet people.

Do you think that the Russian people are "the ememy"?  True they are programmed
to dislike (hate?) us.  The real enemy is the ruling class of people who have
all the money they need.  Matching wits and spending whatever it costs to keep
abreast with this group of people seems to make a lot of sense.  I'd hate to
try it your way and find out you were wrong.

{allegra|ihnp4}!cbdkc1!tjs

gupta@asgb.UUCP (Yogesh K Gupta) (08/15/85)

> A trillion dollars is a thousand dollars a year from every US citizen for
> five years.
> --
>
>  Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720

If it is interest free.
--
Yogesh Gupta                           Advanced Systems Group,
{sdcrdcf, sdcsvax}!bmcg!asgb!gupta     Burroughs Corp., Boulder, CO.

kinne@asgb.UUCP (Robert W Kinne) (08/15/85)

> > A trillion dollars is a thousand dollars a year from every US citizen for
> > five years.
> > --
> >
> >  Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
>
> If it is interest free.
> --
> Yogesh Gupta                           Advanced Systems Group,

In Great Britain or Germany, it would take five *million* years.
(In the U. S., a trillion is 10 E12, in G.B. 10 E18.)