[net.micro.6809] TSEDIT

scott@uwvax.UUCP (Scott Aschenbach) (05/25/85)

> From: CASAZZA@RU-GREEN.ARPA
>

> I'd like some info on TSEDIT.
>
> What is the format of the disks which TSEDIT uses?  Color Computer
> Disk BASIC format, OS-9, its own???
It comes with 2 versions of the program, one that runs under Disk BASIC and
uses the Disk BASIC format, the other runs under OS-9 and uses the OS-9 format.

> Also, if the lower case true lower case or just inverse video??
Again, the amazing answer is both.  It has many formats to choose from, two of
which use the VDG character set (inverse video for lower case), and the rest
draw characters of varying sizes in the high res graphics mode, from very large
and readable to very small (barely readable on a monochrome monitor, but great
for looking at how a page is laid out).

> Finally, is it true it allows 80 column lines??
Yes, you can
	1. have lines that have 80 characters in them but actually wrap around
	   on your display to be 2 or 3 lines
	2. set the display to the very small characters (3 bits wide) and get
	   the general idea of what's there
	3. run in a mode that is a window into an 80 column reality (you look
	   at 32 or 40 columns at a time, and shift the window left and right).

> I've heard that the only way to get true lower case is by replacing
> chips in the CO/CO.... naturally the catalog doesn't say that by lower
> case it means inverse video.

I would say that running in the graphics mode is true lower case.  There are
programs available (see Rainbow or Hot Coco magazines) that patch BASIC to
print by drawing the characters in a high res screen.  Not a great answer,
as this is slower, takes 6 K, and needs to be loaded each time your turn on
or crash, but does make the display more readable.  I have found that editing
files with TSEDIT in this mode is this only time I really need to see true
lower case.

Scott
--
W. Scott Aschenbach @ wisconsin
...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,uwm-evax}!uwvax!scott