[net.micro.6809] Can someone explain this?

mcdonald@sask.UUCP (Shane McDonald) (09/20/85)

Can someone explain this to me?  I have a CoCo II running
OS9 with WordPak II installed.  I compiled a long C program,
and the size of the program ended up being about 5/8 the
size of my free memory.  But, when I tried to run the program,
I got an error message saying that there wasn't enough memory.
Oh, darn, I thought.  That's when I discovered that the program
was only about 5/8 the size of my memory, not including, of course,
memory used for the stack.  Perplexed, I decided to see if I
could load the program into memory.  It loaded fine, and told
me I still had about 20K of memory left.  So, I tried to run
it now.  It ran fine with no memory problems.  Can someone
explain why I had to load it into memory first?
--
Shane McDonald
(ihnp4!sask!mcdonald)

brad@laidbak.UUCP (Bradley Bosch) (09/24/85)

How much memory was required for the stack (data segment) for
your program?  I have noticed a similar problem which seems to
be related to using full path names to execute a program
instead of executing them from the execution directory with
just the program name.

The program I was trying to execute was very large.  Data and
code together amounted to about 20 pages less than the memory
available.  If I changed the execution directory to the
directory containing the program, it worked fine.  If instead,
I executed the program with the full path name, I got an out
of memory error.  I tried this with more than one large
program with the same results.  If I write a small machine
code program which just exec's the larger program using the
full path name, and then execute the smaller program, the
larger program would run ok.  This to me would seem to
indicate a problem with the shell, but I suppose it could be
more complicated.

I called the Color Computer support group at Fort Worth, but all
they could tell me was that they couldn't help me.  The person
I talked to tried to tell me that it was because of the
memory required to hold the buffers for the directories in
the path.  I would be surprised if a full path name required
more than one extra buffer page.  Why would they open the
directory for the next element in the path before they closed
the last one?  I tried to explain to him that it couldn't
possibly require 20 extra pages, but he didn't seem to follow
my reasoning.  I goaded him in to promising to check on the
problem for me and call me back, but of course he never did.
Does Microware have a support number?  Perhaps if I call
Microware I might be able to talk to someone who knows what
they are talking about.

The small program I mentioned above is the way I use to get
around the limitations of the space available on a 40 track
double sided disk.  I have more programs than will fit on my
system disk.  I have a program which generates these small
programs from a template.  I call it link.ex.

Happily Hacking at OS-9,
			Brad Bosch
			...!ihnp4!laidbak!brad
Newsgroups: net.micro.6809
Subject: Re: Can someone explain this?

Newsgroups: net.micro.6809

Newsgroups: net.micro.6809

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (09/29/85)

In article <279@sask.UUCP> mcdonald@sask.UUCP (Shane McDonald) writes:
>Can someone explain this to me?  I have a CoCo II running
>OS9 with WordPak II installed.  I compiled a long C program,
>and the size of the program ended up being about 5/8 the
>size of my free memory.  But, when I tried to run the program,
>I got an error message saying that there wasn't enough memory.
>Oh, darn, I thought.  That's when I discovered that the program
>was only about 5/8 the size of my memory, not including, of course,
>memory used for the stack.  Perplexed, I decided to see if I
>could load the program into memory.  It loaded fine, and told
>me I still had about 20K of memory left.  So, I tried to run
>it now.  It ran fine with no memory problems.  Can someone
>explain why I had to load it into memory first?
>--
>Shane McDonald
>(ihnp4!sask!mcdonald)

     I don't know if you've had an answer yet, but I've noticed that
ever since I started using WordPak II, with the version 3 driver kit,
I've had memory de-allocation problems.  Try re-booting the system
and then running the program.

                                           Cheers! -- Jim O.

BIX: jimomura
Compuserve 72205,541
MTS at WU: GKL6

--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura