[net.micro.6809] Architecture, or Coincidence?

knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) (09/26/85)

(Re-Reposted due to more machine-changeover foulups)

Is this just cultural coincidence, or was there a hardware
reason for the following: In home computers, descendants of
the 8080 have aimed at "serious business" TEXT-ONLY applications,
whereas the 6800's descendants' machines have featured
bit-mapped color graphics and sound to a much greater extent.
To list examples of these descendant micros and their computers:

	8080				6800
	----				----
	Z80				6502
TRS-80 Models I-IV,		Apple II, Atari, Vic-20, C-64
CP/M systems				6809
				TRS-80 Color Computer

	8086,-8				68000
IBM PC and 1001 clones		Apollo, Mac, Atari-ST, Amiga,
				AT&T 7300 (can run text-only)

Sure puts most of the decent graphics into the right-hand
side, doesn't it?  Yes, there are exceptions -- the Z80-based
Exidy Sorcerer and the 8080 CompuColor,
and now that business types have discovered graphics
you can get hi-res color on the IBM-PCs.  But from 1977 thru '83
the picture is pretty lopsided.  And it's not just marketing --
the TRS-80 and Apple II were both supposed to handle games and
hobby-hacking, AND science and business.

As for the latest machines:  while you can use
an IBM-PC for years w/out graphics, you can't even *talk to the
OS* on the 68K machines listed without clicking a mouse!
Ever see a text-only Mac?  Want to?

I suspect part of this is due to the equivalence of processor cycles
and bus cycles in the 6800/6502/6809 chips.  During the first half
of each cycle, the bus is unused by the micro, so the designer
could sneak a free DMA timeslot on every cycle for refreshing
video graphics from RAM, without slowing down the processor.
(This also makes for easier DRAM refreshing).

This trick was well-known to 6502 hackers (eg, Hal Chamberlin)
and was institutionalized by Motorola in their graphics chip set
for the 6809 (the applications note for these chips became the
Radio Shack Color Computer).  The 8080-type micros, with their
irregular bus-access subcycles, could NOT use this scheme;
unable to DMA the large RAM areas needed for bitmap graphics,
the Z80 boxes had to stick with separate, small, text-only
display memories.

Interesting how subtle hardware features of a micro can influence
the architecture and hence end uses of its computers.
Open for commentary -- mike k
	ihnp4!ihwpt!knudsen

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (09/27/85)

> Is this just cultural coincidence, or was there a hardware
> reason for the following: In home computers, descendants of
> the 8080 have aimed at "serious business" TEXT-ONLY applications,
> whereas the 6800's descendants' machines have featured
> bit-mapped color graphics and sound to a much greater extent.

I doubt that anyone knows "for sure" how this situation came about,
but here's my understanding...

The 2-phase bus nature of the 6502-type chips was indeed a big
influence in their use on "color" systems.  Perhaps equally as
important, the 6502 was introduced at the unheard-of price of $25,
when 8080's were still going for $150.

What the 8080 (and later, the Z80) had going for it was, simply put,
"floppy disks".  For the "high-rolling" computer hobbyist who could
afford to play with floppy disks, the extra hundred bucks for an 8080
was unimportant.  And they could also afford the (not very cheap at the
time) Western Digital floppy disk controller chips.  These FDC's were
easy to connect to the 8080, but relatively difficult to connect to the
6502.  The bigger bucks bought much faster data transfer rates.  And
those transfer rates made it possible to write "real" operating systems
like CP/M and TRSDOS, and to develop applications which used significant
amounts of disk data.

Put this all together, and you get two very different kinds of systems.
Low cost systems with cassette (or, at best, very slow disks) were built
around the 6502; their big drawing card was color graphics.
Higher-priced systems with "real" disks were based around the 8080;
their big drawing card was performance on any application that used disk
heavily, especially for data storage.  Applications like word processing
and databases.
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {calcom1,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

robert@nmtvax.UUCP (10/01/85)

In article <> doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:

>What the 8080 (and later, the Z80) had going for it was, simply put,
>"floppy disks".  For the "high-rolling" computer hobbyist who could
>afford to play with floppy disks, the extra hundred bucks for an 8080
>was unimportant.  And they could also afford the (not very cheap at the
>time) Western Digital floppy disk controller chips.  These FDC's were
>easy to connect to the 8080, but relatively difficult to connect to the
>6502.  The bigger bucks bought much faster data transfer rates.  And
>those transfer rates made it possible to write "real" operating systems
>like CP/M and TRSDOS, and to develop applications which used significant
>amounts of disk data.
>
>Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {calcom1,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

I have spent more time waiting for a Rainbow, TRS-80, and a Motorola
VME-10 than I have my Apple.  Don't think that I am protecting an
obsolete machine just because I own one.  Note that the "slow" apple
drives are still used in comparison for many systems.  Considering that
the processor has to do all the disk handling, its speed is fairly impressive
compared to systems with floppy controllers.

I still think Atari's smart peripherals were a mistake.  "My 'smart' drive
makes my computer go "bede-bede" whenever it does anything."  Sounds
pretty stupid to me...
--

"Rock Is a Drug." - Spliff, "Rock Is a Drug"
"Living in the limelight the universal dream" -Rush, "Limelight"

   Robert Kenyon
   New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
   ...ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!robert
   or
   ...ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!curly!rob

knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) (10/07/85)

> In article <> doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
> >
> >time) Western Digital floppy disk controller chips.  These FDC's were
> >easy to connect to the 8080, but relatively difficult to connect to the
> >6502.  The bigger bucks bought much faster data transfer rates.  And
> >those transfer rates made it possible to write "real" operating systems
> >like CP/M and TRSDOS, and to develop applications which used significant
> >amounts of disk data.
>
> I have spent more time waiting for a Rainbow, TRS-80, and a Motorola
> VME-10 than I have my Apple.  Don't think that I am protecting an
> obsolete machine just because I own one.  Note that the "slow" apple
> drives are still used in comparison for many systems.  Considering that
> the processor has to do all the disk handling, its speed is fairly impressive
> compared to systems with floppy controllers.
>
> I still think Atari's smart peripherals were a mistake.  "My 'smart' drive
> makes my computer go "bede-bede" whenever it does anything."  Sounds
> pretty stupid to me...

I'll agree with Doug on this -- my CoCo drives are quite fast,
even tho the 6809 (a descendant of the 6800 AND 6502, whether or
not Motorola admits it) has to handle all the bytes.
And yes, those "smart" disks on the Atari and Commodore are slow
enuf to keep any "real" DOS off those machines, due to slow
load times for programs not in RAM.  I believe the C-64 disk
is slower than CoCo's CASSETTE!

However, I think the point of the 8080 article was that LSI
floppy controller chips were avaiable EARLIER for the 8080/Z80
than were the excellent chips that we now enjoy on
the 6502/6809 machines, and this led to the biz/text -vs- color grafix
dichotomy.
		mike k

steve@wlbr.UUCP (Steve Childress) (10/08/85)

In article <792@nmtvax.UUCP>, robert@nmtvax.UUCP writes:

> I still think Atari's smart peripherals were a mistake.  "My 'smart' drive
> makes my computer go "bede-bede" whenever it does anything."  Sounds
> pretty stupid to me...
> --

As I recall, Atari embarked upon the intelligent peripheral scheme
as an answer to the FCC emissions edict. They (mistakenly) chose to
answer the problem by using an easy to shield serial bus for peripherals.
Thus, the peripherals HAD to be smart as compared to ordinary, parallel-
bus resident peripherals.

Apple's success in running parallel cables to the floppies despite
the FCC requirements demonstrates Atari's mistake.

		Regards,
			Steve Childress
			Eaton IMS    R&D Group MS 43
			31717 La Tienda Drive
			Westlake Village,  CA    91360
			(818) 889-2211 X2148
			{trwrb, scgvaxd, ihnp4, voder, vortex} !wlbr!steve
		        or	 		        ...wlbr!wlbreng1!steve

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (10/10/85)

     Just for your interest, I was also under the impression that
the Commodore disc was slower than the CoCo cassette.  It isn't
I can't remember the baud rate exactly, but it's a few times faster.

                                   Cheers! -- Jim O.
It's still amazingly slow though.  The new 128 is faster.

--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura