[net.micro.6809] CoCo Dhrystone

jeff1@garfield.UUCP (11/19/85)

	I just that the Commodore 64 has a Dhrystone rating of 36.
Has anyone run the dhrystone test on a CoCo?  I'd be interested to
see what the result is.  We'd better beat the 64!

Jeff Sparkes
jeff1@garfield.UUCP
jeff1@garfield.mun.cdn  <- CDNnet

goldman@ucsfcca.UUCP (Eric Goldman) (11/26/85)

In article <4380@garfield.UUCP> jeff1@garfield.UUCP (Jeff Sparkes) writes:

>	I just that the Commodore 64 has a Dhrystone rating of 36.
>Has anyone run the dhrystone test on a CoCo?  I'd be interested to
>see what the result is.  We'd better beat the 64!
>
>Jeff Sparkes
>jeff1@garfield.UUCP
>jeff1@garfield.mun.cdn  <- CDNnet

The following is the output from the "dhrystone" benchmark compiled with MW C
on a 64K CoCo, OS-9 Level I version 1.01.00.  Note that:

1) I modified the source to do only 25000 passes.  This halves the time for
the slower-than-a-Cray CoCo, but obviously has minimal effect on the accuracy
of the important result, the dhrystones/second figure.

2) I used the OS-9 getime() system call.  It was accurate to within one second
of my stopwatch.  (No, my CoCo does NOT have a clock card.)

The output from the dhrystone benchmark WITH registers:

Dhrystone time for 25000 passes = 238
This machine benchmarks at 105 dhrystones/second

The output from the dhrystone benchmark WITHOUT registers:

Dhrystone time for 25000 passes = 234
This machine benchmarks at 106 dhrystones/second