[net.micro.6809] What's a good OS-9 box?

brownc@utah-cs.UUCP (Eric C. Brown) (12/08/85)

I'd like to get an OS-9 box, either OS-9 or OS-9/68k.  What is a good box
with an 80 char screen, 2 floppies & hard disk interface, and 2 serial ports?

Thanks in advance,

Eric C. Brown
brownc@utah-cs
..!ihnp4!utah-cs!brownc

emjej@uokvax.UUCP (12/09/85)

/* Written  7:41 pm  Dec  7, 1985 by brownc@utah-cs.UUCP in net.micro.6809 */
I'd like to get an OS-9 box, either OS-9 or OS-9/68k.  What is a good box
with an 80 char screen, 2 floppies & hard disk interface, and 2 serial ports?
/* End of text from net.micro.6809 */

If they could be convinced that Americans aren't all bozos who'll buy any-
thing iff it looks just like the IBM PC (barf), Fujitsu might sell their
excellent 6809 and 68000-based OS-9 boxes in the US.  (For completeness's
sake, they're the FM-11, FM-77, and FM-16 (not the garbage they sell in
the US and call an FM-16, but the real FM-16 with a 68000).)  I hear that
Hitachi sells some good stuff running OS-9, too.

Aside from the CoCo, the only US-available machines running OS-9 are of a
sort that take an external terminal.  Given the requirements you mention,
I'd look real hard at some of the 680x0 SBCs and the computers built around
them.  (Frank Hogg's QT, QT+, but if you've got the $$$, wait for the one
built around the Gimix 68020 board--it will flat-out FLY.  If you don't
have the $$$, go for the QT+, or the similar box that AAA Chicago Computer
sells.)

						James Jones

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (12/10/85)

In article <3566@utah-cs.UUCP> brownc@utah-cs.UUCP (Eric C. Brown) writes:
>I'd like to get an OS-9 box, either OS-9 or OS-9/68k.  What is a good box
>with an 80 char screen, 2 floppies & hard disk interface, and 2 serial ports?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Eric C. Brown
>brownc@utah-cs
>..!ihnp4!utah-cs!brownc

     That's the usual "hard Question".  I'll take a quick shot at it, but
for details send me mail.  I'm posting public for now because that way
others shouldn't duplicate the answers too much.

     I'd get a QT or QT+ from Frank Hogg Labs.  These are 68008 and 68000
systems respectively.  The 68020 Gimix board will probably be available
fairly soon from Frank Hogg as well.  The point is, Frank Hogg has a
good reputation for support and is packaging these systems with very
complete software (application oriented, but development software also
available).  These will take any standard terminals (and terminals *are*
cheap now).  They are good up to 4 users more or less.  Bob Larson just
got one and will post more info soon.

     For "industrial strength" systems I suggest Gimix for reliability
and quality.  The reputation is likewise high for support.  I know a
Canadian in New Brunswick who will be selling these and respect his
opinion greatly.

     Finally, if you are into porting yourself, well, I've always felt
that a VME-10 would make a fairly good OS-9 machine.

     For more info on the QT's you can buy "Rainbow" magazine at most
computer magazine stores.  Yes, it's the one about the Radio Shack
Color Computer!

                                       Cheers! -- Jim O.

--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

dibble@rochester.UUCP (Peter C. Dibble) (12/12/85)

> In article <3566@utah-cs.UUCP> brownc@utah-cs.UUCP (Eric C. Brown) writes:
> >I'd like to get an OS-9 box, either OS-9 or OS-9/68k.  What is a good box
> >with an 80 char screen, 2 floppies & hard disk interface, and 2 serial ports?
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >
> >Eric C. Brown
> >brownc@utah-cs
> >..!ihnp4!utah-cs!brownc
>      Finally, if you are into porting yourself, well, I've always felt
> that a VME-10 would make a fairly good OS-9 machine.
> James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
> ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

There is a version of OS-9 for the VME-10.  I got one by mistake a while
ago.  I think it is an expensive computer, but I agree that it has potential
as an OS-9 machine.

Peter Dibble