[net.misc] $1288 ashtrays

john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) (07/19/85)

<<<<

   With the recent flap over Grumman charging $659 for ashtrays, the Naval
Air Rework Facility at San Diego did an estimate to find out how much it
would cost to build them in their facility. Their cost was  $1288.81.
Grumman was probably losing money on that deal.

   There is a good editorial on the subject of defense department
"overcharges" in the July 15 issue of Aviation Week & Space Technology.
Those wishing more information than available on the 6 O'Clock news may
wish to read this.

   Anyone who thinks that an empty glass jar would make a good ashtray on
an airplane should not be allowed to fly unless accompanied by an adult.

John Eaton
!hplabs!hp-pcd!john

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (07/23/85)

That's a red herring (claiming that they would have cost over $1200 to
build directly).  That second cost estimate was based on having
them made one at a time, by hand, by someone in the local machineshop,
and only points out the wasteful labor cost practices in THAT SHOP.

I saw what that ashtray looks like.  Any high school metalshop student
could throw one together for about $30 in parts, tops.  Add some
reasonable markup and labor, and you still end up one damn sight less
than $1200+.  If the DoD had put stuff like that out for open bids
(as they supposedly are starting to do now in more cases), we'd have seen
a damn sight less of that sort of gouging.  Some smart little company
would find a way to build them, complete with labor, for $150 or so.
Even that might be a bit high.

Face it.  The defense contractors have been charging all that the market
can bear, viewing the DoD budget as a bottomless pit into which they
could throw invoices for everything and anything.
It's about time they learn that their gouging will no longer be
tolerated.  Companies that gouge like that on defense-related products
are the nadir of business, and should have their directors hung up
by their thumbs for a few years--ideally in federal prisons where appropriate.

People that gouge, gouge, gouge while waving the flag and proclaiming
their great patriotic spirit are just about the lowest form of life.

--Lauren--

chris@leadsv.UUCP (Chris Salander) (07/25/85)

In article <717@vortex.UUCP>, lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:

> Face it.  The defense contractors have been charging all that the market
> can bear, viewing the DoD budget as a bottomless pit into which they
> could throw invoices for everything and anything.

	Before you get too worked up, you should know the cost breakdown
of the $1288 ashtray, or the cost of any other outrageously priced part.
You will find that the Dept. of Defense is itself responsible for most of
the cost.  The paperwork for every part passes through at least FOUR agencies or
departments WITHIN DOD.  Each group makes estimates of costs, and puts that
down.  They then add an overhead charge to pay themselves for having done
the paperwork.  They include a percentage of the total cost and/or the cost
to them in material and labor.  So one agency will add a $50 charge for
processing the paper for a $2 part IF THAT PART IS ORDERED IN A SINGLE ORDER.

	The last agency is charging a percentage of a percentage of a ....
Our prices are easily doubled or tripled after going through this DoD maze,
and small items can have their prices increased tenfold.  Further, in the
case of webbing to hold a pilot's feet down in an ejection seat:  There
is a left webbing and a right webbing.  One got sidetracked as it worked
its way through DoD and passed through TWO MORE bureaus than its twin.
It ended up costing 30% more than the other.

	Most of the blame lies with the DoD.  They have NO incentive to
perform well and efficiently.  Many defense contractors, however, have
to also sell to foreign governments, other agencies, and sell commercial
versions of military products.  To accomplish this, the total product must
be cost effective for all customers, whether they are paying attention or
not.  Consider also that high costs are sometime deliberate, to discourage
changes after the product is finished and the contract completed.  People
who have worked on that product have gone on to other things and it is
very expensive to respond.

	Conclusion: Abolish the civil service system.

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (07/27/85)

Ah!  Some contractors may kick and scream--but it makes no difference--
a rose by any other name...

Yes, paperwork adds to costs.
Yes, many items are overspecified.

That's still no excuse for the sorts of things we're seeing.  A spec
that says an ashtray must withstand 2.5 G means you build it from
metal, not out of kleenex.  And let's look at the more frequent, and
probably even more costly, cases.  How about the one for the little
plastic feet on the bottom of office stools?  I seriously doubt
that there was a separate spec for that--nor that it was involved
in much separate paperwork.  But when one of those little 25 cent
suckers split, the replacement part cost was something like $150 from the
stool manufacturer, apparently.  Nothing like cost effectiveness.

I won't even bother to bring up the many charges that have started
showing up for such "defense" items as company parties,
promotional models and giveaways, dog kennels, vacation trips, etc.

C'mon.  We know that the way some government purchasing is done
has some problems.  But just because someone occasionally
acts in a non-optimal manner is still no excuse to steal
his wallet.  Some contractors seem to have forgotten this,
and they try to fleece the government (and thusly us) for all they
think they can get away with.

--Lauren--

jeff@wjvax.UUCP (Jeff Albom) (07/30/85)

>Ah!  Some contractors may kick and scream--but it makes no difference--
>a rose by any other name...
>
>Yes, paperwork adds to costs.
>Yes, many items are overspecified.
>
>That's still no excuse for the sorts of things we're seeing.  A spec
>that says an ashtray must withstand 2.5 G means you build it from
>metal, not out of kleenex.  And let's look at the more frequent, and
>probably even more costly, cases.  How about the one for the little
>plastic feet on the bottom of office stools?  I seriously doubt
>that there was a separate spec for that--nor that it was involved
>in much separate paperwork.  But when one of those little 25 cent
>suckers split, the replacement part cost was something like $150 from the
>stool manufacturer, apparently.  Nothing like cost effectiveness.

>--Lauren--

This article was obviously intended for net.flame.  I would suggest that
if you do not understand or comprehend the full extent of military
procurement regulations and MIL level documentation requirements, then
you should not make misleading accusations as above.  Most military
equipment have drawing requirements of a totally unbeleivable nature.
If you have never attempted to document to DOD-D-1000 level 3 requirements,
then you can never understand the costs that are incurred.  Do you
understand the basics of business such as overhead, flat line loading, etc.
True that prices are incredibly out of line for a lot of what the
government buys, but perhaps 90% or more of that price (especially for
normally inexpensive items) is due to government requirements.  And that's
before you get to procurement snafus.  Change a number or 2 in the line
items ordered and you just bought harbor mines instead of a wrench socket.

                                                jeff@wjvax

horton@fortune.UUCP (Randy Horton) (07/31/85)

There cannot be enough attention drawn to the venal practices of some defense
contractors who grossly overcharge the government.  Mr. Weinstein is
right on the point with his comments.  Due to the nature of global politics
at this time, we must maintain a strong defense.  Lets try to do it without
spending any more than we have to.
              |   allegra\   Randy Horton @ Fortune Systems |
              |   cbosgd  \                                 |
              |   dual     >!fortune!ranhome!randy          |
              |   ihnp4   /                                 |
              |   nsc    /   Clever disclaimer goes here    |

root@vortex.UUCP (The Superuser) (08/02/85)

I am most definitely aware of how government purchasing is done.
And I can certainly understand how out-of-line costs are more likely
to occur with heavily spec'd military hardware.  But many of these
overruns are on things like office stools and other equipment that
isn't even for military use--just plain old office equipment that
wasn't heavily spec'd.

What has happened is pretty clear.  The current purchasing
system has created an environment that makes it easy for "legit"
overruns to occur and also easy for contractors to take
advantage of the situation and start piling on lots of "non-legit"
costs as well.  When the government puts out a long spec on
a screwdriver, does the supplier say, "Sure, we'll build you a special
screwdriver for that--$200" -- or do they say, "Our regular screwdriver
like we buy for our non-DoD work will meet that spec just fine--$2."

There's a question of honesty.  I think many contractors take the
P.T. Barnum view--"There's a sucker born every minute."  They seem to figure
that if the purchaser is so silly that they don't realize they're being
fleeced, the seller doesn't have any responsibility to point out the problem,
or the cheaper places simple parts and tools could be bought.

Apparently some contractors feel that a complex government spec is
an easy excuse for throwing all ethics out the window.  And we won't
dwell on some of the even worse abuses charged to government
contracts like office parties--they're a drop in the bucket compared
with the screwdrivers, ashtrays, and stool feet.

--Lauren--

greg@ncr-sd.UUCP (Greg Noel) (08/02/85)

In article <724@vortex.UUCP> lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:

>......  But just because someone occasionally
>acts in a non-optimal manner is still no excuse to steal
>his wallet.  Some contractors seem to have forgotten this,
>and they try to fleece the government (and thusly us) for all they
>think they can get away with.

I beg to differ on this, Lauren.  I speak as an expert, since I had
to fight this system from the other side.  It took me a long time to
find this out, but, despite the public image, the function of the
Government procurement process is \not/ to get the cheapest product,
or even to get the most cost-effective product.  \Nothing/ in the
processing is done to get a better price or even to see if the price
is reasonable.  The only thing that it does is to make sure that the
Govenment is \not/ \cheated/.

Now, given the $1288 for an ashtray, that may sound like a strange
statement, but 'tis true, 'tis true.  The ashtray probably cost three
dollars, but the supporting documentation that had to be provided
by the contractor (an allowable expense) to demonstrate beyond any
doubt that all of the costs were allowable probably cost $1285.  Then,
on top of that, the procurement branch gets to add in their costs, so
the total cost to the using agency is probably even more that $1288.

>......  How about the one for the little
>plastic feet on the bottom of office stools?  ....
>But when one of those little 25 cent
>suckers split, the replacement part cost was something like $150 from the
>stool manufacturer, apparently.  Nothing like cost effectiveness.

I lost an outstanding engineer over this nonsense.  We once needed a
part that was readily available at Radio Shack for $3.95.  But I wasn't
permitted to just send him down to get the part and have him submit
a voucher to petty cash.  I could go on for paragraphs about what we
had to go through to get that part -- specification, publishing, bids,
evaluations, and so forth -- but the final cost that came out of my
funds was over two hundred and twenty dollars.  And that doesn't even
include the labor costs of my engineer and myself.  But I had a shelf-foot
of paperwork that \proved/ that the Government hadn't been cheated.....

The engineer quit in disgust.  I didn't blame him.
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo    Greg@ncr-sd.UUCP or Greg@nosc.ARPA

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (08/03/85)

Hmmm.  If the contractors are all so squeaky honest, why are we
now seeing them offering refunds, money-back guarantees (that's
a first, apparently) for overcharging, and refunds left and right?
I think it's still very clear that many contractors took a tempting
situation, with high costs built in, and added on whatever
extra margin they could for themselves.  Maybe they figured that
since the prices were already 3X higher than they should be, nobody
would notice if they made them 6X higher.  Once again, the refunds
and specific line items brought out (especially for standard parts
without special specs) have resulted in admissions of guilt on the
part of several major contractors.  One can only assume we're seeing
only what was able to be dragged up.

Oh yes, I'm still waiting to hear about how these honest contractors,
who wouldn't dream of cheating the government, felt it was OK
to charge their office parties, company-enhancing give-aways,
pet supplies, and other unrelated costs to specific military
contracts, when such "overhead" charging was specifically forbidden.
A drop in the bucket compared with the other overcharging, of course.
But it gives a window on their overall attitude of "what they thought
they could get away with"...

--Lauren--

john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) (08/06/85)

>to occur with heavily spec'd military hardware.  But many of these
>overruns are on things like office stools and other equipment that
>isn't even for military use--just plain old office equipment that
>wasn't heavily spec'd.

I once worked on a Navy contract to design new shipboard office equipment.
The specs were truly unbelievable and unreasonable. It was not "just plain
old office equipment" - it was desks that had to withstand a 20mm hit,
etc. There was no reason that the Navy couldn't go out and just buy
ordinary office furniture, but rather than do that, they had miles of
specs that were unrelated to what was needed, but had to be met. Example:
The foam padding on the arm of some chair (chair, office, ordinary (??))
had to be of a specified type of foam (which was not particularly desirable,
but had been used for umpteen years). The padding had to be .1325 +- .05
inches thick (or some similar spec).
	By the way, with the intercession of Admiral Zumwalt, we were
allowed to waive the specs. The table and desk we delivered cost only
about $250,000 (prototypes). They were never ever used for anything.
	We earned the $250,000 - we put out that much work. It certainly
was not our fault that the navy was so stupid about their procurement.
>There's a question of honesty.  I think many contractors take the
>P.T. Barnum view--"There's a sucker born every minute."  They seem to figure
>that if the purchaser is so silly that they don't realize they're being
>fleeced, the seller doesn't have any responsibility to point out the problem,
>or the cheaper places simple parts and tools could be bought.
>--Lauren--
	Welcome to capitalism! It still works better than the alternative! The
military's insistence on squeezing profit everywhere they can, and auditing
everyone to death on trivia, leads to a desire by suppliers to make their profit
where they can. The fact that the dollar outweighs ethics in some people
is just human nature - the ruble outweighs ethics in USSR, also.

	John Moore (Compuserve VETS SIG "LCB" Member)

<opinions are my own, of course>

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (08/12/85)

In article <730@vortex.UUCP> root@vortex.UUCP (The Superuser) writes:
>--they're a drop in the bucket compared
>with the screwdrivers, ashtrays, and stool feet.
>
>--Lauren--

I would submit that instead of complaining about defense contractors
charging too much for an ordinary screwdriver we should think about
whether it is reasonable to buy such things from them instead of our
local hardware store.

I once looked up the price of an ordinary bolt from my Honda dealer
for my Honda Civic. Surprise! It was much more expensive than the
same thing from my hardware store. Do you think I should get mad
at Honda?

However, if the tool is not something you can buy from ordinary sources
then I think we should acknowledge that things bought in small production
runs are naturally going to be very expensive.
--
 Yuck! This coke tastes different!

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA

foy@aero.ARPA (Richard Foy ) (08/12/85)

In article <257@anasazi.UUCP> john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
>>--Lauren--
>	Welcome to capitalism! It still works better than the alternative! The
>military's insistence on squeezing profit everywhere they can, and auditing
>everyone to death on trivia, leads to a desire by suppliers to make their profit
>where they can. The fact that the dollar outweighs ethics in some people
>is just human nature - the ruble outweighs ethics in USSR, also.
>
>	John Moore (Compuserve VETS SIG "LCB" Member)

Are the only two alternatives unethical capitalism or even worse USSR rubles?

richard

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (08/12/85)

In article <717@vortex.UUCP> lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:
>I saw what that ashtray looks like.  Any high school metalshop student
>could throw one together for about $30 in parts, tops.

Recently there was a lot of noise in the popular press about how the
Air Force was paying $7200 for coffee pots on airplanes. These responsible
journalists somehow failed to uncover or report the fact that Delta
Airlines, buying from a commercial vendor like Lockheed, pays around $4000
for an item with similar functionality. Having seen a small part of the
mountains of paperwork the government needs to buy anything, I think
the markup from $4000 to $7200 is easily explained, if not surprisingly
low.

We all know what coffee pots cost at K-mart and probably Lauren's
metalshop could put one together for $50. But I must conclude that
coffee pots on airplanes are much more complicated than the kind that
K-mart sells and that's why they cost so much more. We don't need to invoke
bottomless greed to explain it. Even if we think our government is
blind to ripoffs, Delta Airlines can not survive without keeping tight
controls on costs. Yet they too pay outrageous prices for coffee pots.

--

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (08/12/85)

> Recently there was a lot of noise in the popular press about how the
> Air Force was paying $7200 for coffee pots on airplanes. These responsible
> journalists somehow failed to uncover or report the fact that Delta
> Airlines, buying from a commercial vendor like Lockheed, pays around $4000
> for an item with similar functionality. Having seen a small part of the
> mountains of paperwork the government needs to buy anything, I think
> the markup from $4000 to $7200 is easily explained, if not surprisingly
> low.
> ...But I must conclude that
> coffee pots on airplanes are much more complicated than the kind that
> K-mart sells and that's why they cost so much more. We don't need to invoke
> bottomless greed to explain it. Even if we think our government is
> blind to ripoffs, Delta Airlines can not survive without keeping tight
> controls on costs. Yet they too pay outrageous prices for coffee pots.
>  Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720

     Of course, Delta has to serve coffee to a few hundred passengers out of
their coffee pots.  I guess the military has some transport jets which can
carry similar numbers of passengers but seriously doubt if the $7200 number
is referring to such a coffee pot.  (if it was, don't you think some defense
dept. spokesman would have explained?)
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

bill@persci.UUCP (08/13/85)

In article <1052@mhuxt.UUCP> js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) writes:
>> [Phil Ngai]   [...]These responsible
>> journalists somehow failed to uncover or report the fact that Delta
>> Airlines, buying from a commercial vendor like Lockheed, pays around $4000
>> for an item with similar functionality.[...] ...But I must conclude that
>> coffee pots on airplanes are much more complicated than the kind that
>> K-mart sells and that's why they cost so much more.
>     Of course, Delta has to serve coffee to a few hundred passengers out of
>their coffee pots.  I guess the military has some transport jets which can
>carry similar numbers of passengers but seriously doubt if the $7200 number
>is referring to such a coffee pot. [...]
>Jeff Sonntag ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j
>    "My SO ain't doodly squat..

Jeff, please re-read Phil's statement. The problem is the *complexity* of the
pot, *not* the number of people served from it. Sure, making larger quantities
of coffee probably increases the expense of the pot, but as in ground-based
pots, it's not very big.
--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (08/15/85)

> > ...But I must conclude that
> > coffee pots on airplanes are much more complicated than the kind that
> > K-mart sells and that's why they cost so much more.
>
>      Of course, Delta has to serve coffee to a few hundred passengers out of
> their coffee pots.  I guess the military has some transport jets which can
> carry similar numbers of passengers but seriously doubt if the $7200 number
> is referring to such a coffee pot.

You may laugh, but a couple of years ago a corporate biz-jet was nearly
lost (with all aboard) because of a coffee pot.

I wish I could remember the story clearly, but it had to do with the
built-in coffee pot shorting out and catching fire.  Because a coffee
pot is a high-power device, it was located right at the main electrical
busses, and the fire burned through all three power busses.  Control
over the pressurization system was lost, and the plane depressurized.
The pilot had to manually shut off the oxygen supply to prevent oxygen
from getting to the fire.

With no pressurization and no supplemental oxygen, a "crash descent" was
needed in order to get to a "breathable" altitude before everyone on
board blacked out.

Speaking of airborne coffee -- if you want some excitement, take a
thermos of coffee aloft and open it.  If you'd rather skip the
excitement, calculate the boiling point of coffee at 20"Hg and
compare that with the temperature that a thermos will hold coffee at.
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {seismo!noao,decvax!noao,ihnp4}!terak!doug

john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) (08/21/85)

In article <346@aero.ARPA> foy@aero.UUCP (Richard Foy (Veh. Systems)) writes:
>In article <257@anasazi.UUCP> john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
>>>--Lauren--
>>	Welcome to capitalism! It still works better than the alternative! The
>>military's insistence on squeezing profit everywhere they can, and auditing
>>everyone to death on trivia, leads to a desire by suppliers to make their profit
>>where they can. The fact that the dollar outweighs ethics in some people
>>is just human nature - the ruble outweighs ethics in USSR, also.
>>
>>	John Moore (Compuserve VETS SIG "LCB" Member)
>>
>Are the only two alternatives unethical capitalism or even worse USSR rubles?
>
>richard
That the dollar outweighs ethics in some people doesn't imply that it outweighs
ethics in all people. A few unethical capitalists doesn't imply that there
is a system of "unethical capitalism". Let me throw the question back on
you: What alternatives are there?

--
John Moore (NJ7E)
{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!john