[net.micro.6809] OS9 soon to be available for Amiga

mckay@pur-ee.UUCP (Dwight D McKay) (12/08/85)

         Permission  to  reprint  or  excerpt  is  granted only if the
         following line appears at the top of the article:

         The  CompuServe  OS9  Sig.   Copyright  1985.   Reprinted  by
         permission.

         ***  Attention  Amiga  owners:   You say you want a powerful,
         flexible,  multitasking,  multiuser operating system for your
         Commodore  Amiga?   Well, you're going to get it!  A company,
         whose  name  I  can not yet mention, is now in the process of
         porting OS9 to the Commodore Amiga!  Believe me, I know.

         Designed  by  Microware  Inc.,  OS9  is a Unix-like operating
         system,  with  much of the power and flexibility of Unix, but
         without  the  price or size!  It is, and has been for about 6
         years,  running  on  a  variety  of  6809  and  68000  CPU's,
         including  Gimix,  Smoke Signal, SWTPC, Tandy Color Computer,
         Hazelwood,   Helix,   and  UniQuad.   It  has  recently  been
         announced  and  is being distributed with a 68000 coprocessor
         for  the  IBM  PC/XT/AT!   It is also in the process of being
         ported  to  the  Atari  ST.   It will be available before, or
         during  the  second  quarter  of 1986, and possibly the first
         quarter of 1986!

         OS9  comes  with  a  full complement of utilities, pipes, and
         filters,  just  as  Unix  does.  It also provides access to a
         wide  variety  of  business  software,  and a wide variety of
         programming   tools   and  languages,  including  C,  Pascal,
         Basic09, Fortran, and Cobol.

         Stay  tuned  to  the  CompuServe OS9 Sig for news of this new
         product  for  the  Commodore  Amiga,  and  for constant news,
         information,   technical   assistance,   and   public  domain
         software.

         Remember, you heard it here first!  Please pass the word, and
         when  you  want to visit the OS9 Sig, just type "GO OS9" from
         anywhere  on  CompuServe!  The  OS9  Sig  is dedicated to the
         promotion  of  OS9  and  OS9  information, and to helping OS9
         users.  We have been open for 3 years and we are 1000 members
         strong  at  this  moment.  We are also the repository for the
         international  OS9  Users  Group Software library, and we are
         the largest single common gathering and information point for
         OS9 users, no matter what computer is being used.

         Wm.  A.  Van  Nest  "Van"  76703,467  SysOp of the CompuServe
         OS9 Sig

dillon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (12/10/85)

In article <3555@pur-ee.UUCP>, mckay@pur-ee.UUCP (Dwight D McKay) writes:

>          Permission  to  reprint  or  excerpt  is  granted only if the
>          following line appears at the top of the article:
>
>          The  CompuServe  OS9  Sig.   Copyright  1985.   Reprinted  by
			... etc

	This is a joke.  Not particulary the beginning of the posting, but
more the ensuing text.  It reads like an add in a magazine, and is completely
against USENET protocols.  -Sic- Nobody else do it, please.

							-Matt

michaelm@bcsaic.UUCP (michael b maxwell) (12/11/85)

In article <3555@pur-ee.UUCP> mckay@pur-ee.UUCP (Dwight D McKay) writes:
>         OS9  comes  with  a  full complement of utilities, pipes, and
>         filters,  just  as  Unix  does.  It also provides access to a
>         wide  variety  of  business  software,  and a wide variety of
>         programming   tools   and  languages,  including  C,  Pascal,
>         Basic09, Fortran, and Cobol.

Sigh... no Lisp...
--
Mike Maxwell
Boeing Artificial Intelligence Center

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (12/13/85)

In article <400@bcsaic.UUCP> michaelm@bcsaic.UUCP (michael b maxwell) writes:
>In article <3555@pur-ee.UUCP> mckay@pur-ee.UUCP (Dwight D McKay) writes:
>>         OS9  comes  with  a  full complement of utilities, pipes, and
>>         filters,  just  as  Unix  does.  It also provides access to a
>>         wide  variety  of  business  software,  and a wide variety of
>>         programming   tools   and  languages,  including  C,  Pascal,
>>         Basic09, Fortran, and Cobol.
>
>Sigh... no Lisp...
>--

     Well, yes, there is Lisp.  Public domain XLisp is available from the
OS-9 Users' Group.  From what I hear it's quite good.  I think it's the
same XLisp that was published in Byte for the IBM-PC some time ago (written
in C as I recall).

                                                 Cheers! -- Jim O.
--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

lamy@utai.UUCP (Jean-Francois Lamy) (12/13/85)

In article <973@lsuc.UUCP> jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:

>     Well, yes, there is Lisp.  Public domain XLisp is available from the
>OS-9 Users' Group.  From what I hear it's quite good.  I think it's the

Quite good as an introduction...  It is very clean and porting it to the
Mac was easy. Undergrads actually added Mac windows and menus as bona
fide XLisp objects.

However, I do not see XLisp as a contender for any "serious" work.  It
simply lacks speed and you will get very rapidly tired of having to reinvent
the wheel by writing functions usually available as primitives.
--

Jean-Francois Lamy
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto,

CSNet:      lamy@toronto.csnet
UUCP:       {utzoo,ihnp4,decwrl,uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!lamy
CDN:        lamy@iro.udem.cdn (lamy%iro.udem.cdn@ubc.csnet)

dibble@rochester.UUCP (Peter C. Dibble) (12/14/85)

> In article <3555@pur-ee.UUCP> mckay@pur-ee.UUCP (Dwight D McKay) writes:
> >         OS9  comes  with  a  full complement of utilities, pipes, and
> >         filters,  just  as  Unix  does.  It also provides access to a
>
> Sigh... no Lisp...

There IS a Lisp for OS-9.  It's called Lisp-09 and is available in Japan.
This is another of the dandy pieces of software the the Japanese don't see
enough market here to export.  (They have prolog for OS-9 too.)

Next time I'm talking to Microware I'll ask about the chances for getting
lisp and prolog in this country and if the news is interesting I'll post it
here.

Peter Dibble

emjej@uokvax.UUCP (12/15/85)

No Lisp?  The fellow I talked to at LispLab claimed that Franz Lisp
for OS-9/68000 was under development (at the time, awaiting the new
version of the C compiler).  Dunno its current status.  (There's
always XLISP...)

						James Jones

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (12/15/85)

In article <400@bcsaic.UUCP> michaelm@bcsaic.UUCP (michael b maxwell) writes:
>In article <3555@pur-ee.UUCP> mckay@pur-ee.UUCP (Dwight D McKay) writes:
>>         OS9  comes  with  a  full complement of utilities, pipes, and
>>         filters,  just  as  Unix  does.  It also provides access to a
>>         wide  variety  of  business  software,  and a wide variety of
>>         programming   tools   and  languages,  including  C,  Pascal,
>>         Basic09, Fortran, and Cobol.
>
>Sigh... no Lisp...

But it should be possible to port David Betz's XLISP (granted, a subset,
but you've got to start somewhere) to OS-9, it's written in C.
All you have to do is replace the OS-specific calls.  (Since there's XLISP
for Unix, this might not be too hard.)

I've also heard rumors of a LISP system written in Pascal as well.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@c.cs.cmu.edu (cmu-cs-c.arpa)	Usenet: ralphw@mit-eddie.uucp
Fido: Ralph Hyre at Net 129, Node 0 (Pitt-Bull) Phone: (412)578-2847,578-3275

steve@wlbr.UUCP (Steve Childress) (12/18/85)

Anyone out there know what the Amiga-port of OS9 will do re graphics and
sound? If system drivers and extensions to BASIC09 and additions to the C
library (e.g., Lattice) are not done, I can't understand how this
OS9 could find widespread support. (Emphasize widespread).

			Steve Childress
			{trwrb, scgvaxd, ihnp4, voder, vortex} !wlbr!steve
		        or	 		        ...wlbr!wlbreng1!steve