[net.micro.6809] OS9/68K on the Amiga

steve@wlbr.UUCP (Steve Childress) (01/09/86)

On OS9 for the AMIGA --- (a rumored soon-to-be thing)

From study of the Kernel manuals for my machine, I understand that one
could run AMIGA DOS and OS9 concurrently because it is possible to
for a process to obtain exclusive access to a disk drive. Since the
low-level I/O is done by the Kernel (not by AMIGA DOS), and since
AMIGA DOS is apparently merely a process and suite of library routines
from the Kernel's viewpoint, it seems feasible to have a OS9 "kernel"
be a peer of AMIGA DOS.

Anyone else have any info/comments?

		Regards,
			Steve Childress
			{trwrb, scgvaxd, ihnp4, voder, vortex} !wlbr!steve
		        or	 		        ...wlbr!wlbreng1!steve

mykes@3comvax.UUCP (Mike Schwartz) (01/14/86)

I wonder why nobody has built a 6809 card for the C64 (and C128).  The
card can't be that expensive to build, and the power of the 09 would
make the C64 hardware do even better things than it already does.  I like
the 09 a bunch, but I don't think that the CoCo is for me (too slow,
fair graphics, etc.).  A 6809 board might even breath a lot of new life
into the C64.

Take no offense, please, about my lack of interest in the CoCo, I just
would rather program something I like better (my own tastes).  As long
as someone was to build a 6809 card, how about adding ROM and RAM to add
some sort of ICONic interface to the 6809 environment?

mike schwartz, 3Com Corp.
(the usual disclaimers apply).

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (01/18/86)

     I've made the following suggestion before to C64 users and IBM-PC
users, who have ignored it, but what the heck?

     If you want to add a 6809 or even a 68000 to a Commodore 64, then
why not just buy a Single board OS-9 system and use the Commodore as
a terminal.  By integrating the software properly you may be able to
accomplish a lot.

     Sardis Technologies sells bare-board single/multiboard 6809
computers capable of using the Color Computer version of OS-9.  There
are *many* OS-9 68K technology single board computers.  Although the
Frank Hogg systems look really good for business applications, why
not look at the Emerald 68000 OS-9 board for $600.00 (I'm sure the
software is extra).

     For C-64 owners, this approach also makes fast disks a possibility.

--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

mykes@3comvax.UUCP (Mike Schwartz) (01/22/86)

In article <1040@lsuc.UUCP> jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:

>     I've made the following suggestion before to C64 users and IBM-PC
>users, who have ignored it, but what the heck?
>
>     If you want to add a 6809 or even a 68000 to a Commodore 64, then
>why not just buy a Single board OS-9 system and use the Commodore as
>a terminal.  By integrating the software properly you may be able to
>accomplish a lot.
>
>     Sardis Technologies sells bare-board single/multiboard 6809
>computers capable of using the Color Computer version of OS-9.  There
>are *many* OS-9 68K technology single board computers.  Although the
>Frank Hogg systems look really good for business applications, why
>not look at the Emerald 68000 OS-9 board for $600.00 (I'm sure the
>software is extra).
>
>     For C-64 owners, this approach also makes fast disks a possibility.
>
>--
>James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
>ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura
>Byte Information eXchange: jimomura
>(416) 652-3880

The commodore 64 has dynamite internal hardware, including a GREAT video
chip, a GREAT audio chip, 2 CIAs (the nicest PIAs around), etc.  I want
to write 6809 code to use this hardware, not some minimal 6809 computer
with a C64 as a terminal.

Also, the C64 has fast disk drives, just slow software.  If I had a 6809
card, I would put faster handshake routines in ROM on it and junk the slow
C64 ones.  Otherwise, you cannot show me a computer short of the new 68K
Amiga and ST (that I can afford) that has the graphic and sound capabilities
of the C64.   I want to twiddle the registers directly from the 6809, not
through some hodgepodge of mixed 6502 and 6809 code.