[net.micro.6809] OS9 add-on for Apple

knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) (03/18/86)

>    What do you OS9 netters suggest for a add-on card for my Apple to
> run OS9?  I would prefer a 68000, but if that isn't available, a 4MHz
> 6809 would do...  Perhaps I should just ask my friend Andy who works
> at Microware (I live about 30 miles from Microwares offices...) but
> trying to get ahold of Andy is difficult sometimes...
>    At any rate, I'd be interested in any experiences anyone has had,
> I know that Stellation 2 makes "The Mill", but it is only a 1MHz 6809,
> although I know you can get OS9 for it...  they also make "McMill" but that
> is a 68008... and a slow one at that I think, I'd much prefer an 8MHz 68000
> if it is available.
> 				Lee Heins

Officially, I think the fastest Motorola 6809 is
the 2-MHz 6809B.  Hitachi has been second-sourcing
and may be up to 3 MHz by now.
Back in '84, Motorola had been considering a CMOS faster version
code-named "Road-Runner", but that was put on hold, I think.

I anyone has a 3 or 4 MHz part, we'd like to hear
about it!  Especially an "E"-suffix version.
	mike k

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (03/24/86)

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@c.cs.cmu.edu (cmu-cs-c.arpa)	Usenet: ralphw@mit-eddie.uucp
Fido: Ralph Hyre at Net 129, Node 0 (Pitt-Bull) Phone: (412)CMU-BUGS

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (03/24/86)

In article <766@ihwpt.UUCP> knudsen@ihwpt writes:
>In article <
>>    What do you OS9 netters suggest for a add-on card for my Apple to
>> run OS9?  I would prefer a 68000, but if that isn't available, a 4MHz
>> 6809 would do...
>Officially, I think the fastest Motorola 6809 is
>the 2-MHz 6809B. ... we'd like to hear
>about it [a faster part]!  Especially an "E"-suffix version.
>	mike k

I believe the Williams 'Defender' video game has a 6809E on board.
(It's been a couple of years since I looked at the schematic, though,
so I could be mistaken.)  Even so, I'd recommend the 680X0, just so you
can run operating systems other than OS-9.  Rumor has it that there's a
68000 port on the Apple extended memory card, but I haven't heard about
anybody doing anything with it.  Good luck.