[net.micro.6809] CD ROMs to use 68000 OS9

knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) (04/07/86)

Phillips, Sony, and Microware (a not-quite-as-big SW
house in Iowa that created/es OS9) have agreed on a
standard for CD-ROM peripherals.
The internal controller will be a 68000 running
OS9/68K, presumably out of ROM (or booted from each
CD disk maybe?).

This was revealed in the latest MOTD, the newsletter
of the National OS9 Users' Group.

I don't know what percentage of CD-ROM machines this
scheme will cover -- I think there are already some
boxes out there.

	mike k

"Facts?  You can't post this in net.rumor!!"

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (04/15/86)

     Mike K. mentioned a CD-ROM standard based on OS-9 68K.  In fact, it's
called CDI.  Jerry Pournelle was very excited about it (see recent Infoworld
articles by him).  We've had a special conference on CD-ROM this month on
BIX, but unfortunately, little has been said about CDI so far despite the
fact that two of us have asked about it.  It may be because none of the
people closely involved with CDI showed up.  I'm hoping that some of them
will before the end of the month.  This summer is going to be very important
to the 68000 software industry.

                                            Cheers! -- Jim O.

--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (04/17/86)

In article <1185@lsuc.UUCP> jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:

>     Mike K. mentioned a CD-ROM standard based on OS-9 68K.  In fact, it's
>called CDI.
>Jerry Pournelle was very excited about it (see recent Infoworld
>articles by him).
>This summer is going to be very important to the 68000 software industry.
>
>                                            Cheers! -- Jim O.
>James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto

I can sense Jim's glee now that OS-9 is the darling of JerryP and the
InfoWorld circles of journalism, by virtue of its incorporation in
the CDI standard, but I have reservations and I would like to hear some
net input.

As I understand it, OS-9 will be used as an internal control operating
system within a closed, appliance type of product (i.e., like
a stereo component) which will use custom--and we can assume proprietary--
chips for graphics and audio.

The question is: What advantage is held by a computer running OS-9 if
the CDI standard becomes a success?

[By the way, I am not nearly as skeptical or sarcastic as the following
may sound, it just came out that way today, and I'll let it ride, OK?]

I can only conjecture:

    1- that your computer will be able to execute software on the CDI
	disks.  I doubt this very strongly.

    2- that your computer will be able to be used as a development station
	for CDI software.  This will require many other things.

    3- that your computer manufacturer is in bed with the right people
	at an early stage, if he/she hurries, as far as arranging
	2, above.

    4- that you will catch nice publicity from Jerry Pournelle, since
	you are on the wave of the future of 68000 software technology.

    5- that you can learn to be a great consultant for people who build
	CDI systems (none in the US, i think) authoring systems,
	and so on, to say nothing of those people swayed by item 4.

    6- that OS-9 is really great, independent of CDI, and that you
	come out ahead even without any of the above panning out.
	This item would have been omitted, given the specific "question",
	but I know what OS fanatics are capable of doing to one's mail burden.

cheers, and good luck to OS-9, 68000's, CDI, and you all.

		    jimm

crowl@rochester.ARPA (Lawrence Crowl) (04/18/86)

DEC is also pushing a standard for CD-ROMS.  It is a file system based
on their Files-11 file system.  See the April 1986 issue of Mini-Micro
Systems.  My one comment is that DEC's [dir,dir,dir]file.ext naming
scheme is not as good as the Unix /dir/dir/dir/file.ext naming scheme.
It tends to cause problems for name aliasing schemes.  You also have
to hunt down the [] keys.

How many companies are pushing their own file system as standard?  How
about putting them all together in one room until they come up with a
standard?  Well, the standards that come out of committees like this
are always baroque and unwieldy.  How about having someone who is not
finacially interested but is technically competent design a system
incorporating the best features of the various proposed standards?
Or am I dreaming?
--

Lawrence Crowl             716-275-5766        University of Rochester
                                               Computer Science Department

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (04/18/86)

In article <17347@rochester.ARPA> crowl@rochester.UUCP (Lawrence Crowl) writes:
>DEC is also pushing a standard for CD-ROMS.  It is a file system based
>on their Files-11 file system.  See the April 1986 issue of Mini-Micro
>Systems.  My one comment is that DEC's [dir,dir,dir]file.ext naming
>scheme is not as good as the Unix /dir/dir/dir/file.ext naming scheme.
>It tends to cause problems for name aliasing schemes.  You also have
>to hunt down the [] keys.

The file naming scheme should be completely independent of the actual
representation of files and internal filenames (which can use non-ASCII
characters for internal delimiters) in the filesystem.

A reasonable filesystem should allow for many naming systems (especially
delimiters, including '[,]' (VMS), '/' (Unix, Apple ProDOS), '\' (MSDOS),
or '<.>' (Tops-20), although typically only one user interface is provided.

Hierarchical, tree-structured filesystems are 'in' now, but what about the
more general digraph format, where a file or directory can be in more than one
directory?  (Unix sort of does this, but there is only one parent directory
at each point in the tree, referenced by ..).
If done properly this could solve the symbolic link semantics problem in Unix
(cd through a link, then cd .. puts you somewhere you didn't expect to be).

The user interface issues are more complicated, but that shouldn't prevent
designers from building the digraph capability (my personal favorite) into
the filesystem.

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@c.cs.cmu.edu (cmu-cs-c.arpa)	Usenet: ralphw@mit-eddie.uucp
Fido: Ralph Hyre at Net 129, Node 0 (Pitt-Bull) Phone: (412)CMU-BUGS

knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) (04/19/86)

> In article <1185@lsuc.UUCP> jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:
> >
> >     Mike K. mentioned a CD-ROM standard based on OS-9 68K.  In fact, it's
> >called CDI.
> >                                            Cheers! -- Jim O.
> >James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
>
> I can sense Jim's glee now that OS-9 is the darling of JerryP and the
> InfoWorld circles of journalism, by virtue of its incorporation in
> the CDI standard, but I have reservations and I would like to hear some
> net input.
>
> As I understand it, OS-9 will be used as an internal control operating
> system within a closed, appliance type of product (i.e., like
> a stereo component) which will use custom--and we can assume proprietary--
> chips for graphics and audio.
>
> The question is: What advantage is held by a computer running OS-9 if
> the CDI standard becomes a success?
>     6- that OS-9 is really great, independent of CDI, and that you
> 	come out ahead even without any of the above panning out.
> 		    jimm

When I posted, I thought only of (6) above -- that this CD
standard was a nice feather in the cap of OS9 and we could all
brag about "knowing OS9 when."  True, OS9 will be sealed up inside
a box, and hardly anyone will know it's there.
But I will, and so will you... mike k

dibble@rochester.ARPA (Peter C. Dibble) (04/21/86)

In article <821@ihwpt.UUCP>, knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) writes:
> > In article <1185@lsuc.UUCP> jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:
> > >
> > >     Mike K. mentioned a CD-ROM standard based on OS-9 68K.  In fact, it's
> > >called CDI.
> > >                                            Cheers! -- Jim O.
> > >James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
> > As I understand it, OS-9 will be used as an internal control operating
> > system within a closed, appliance type of product (i.e., like
> > a stereo component) which will use custom--and we can assume proprietary--
> > chips for graphics and audio.
> >
> > The question is: What advantage is held by a computer running OS-9 if
> > the CDI standard becomes a success?

CDI black boxes will certainly be sold, but I can't imagine Sony or Phillips
(or any other company) passing up the chance to sell a powerful computer to
CDI owners for the price of a floppy drive, keyboard, and some interface
components.

Perhaps the CDI player with OS-9 showing will cost $500 extra.  For people
who want a CDI player that should give the computer good price performance.
.........:
	680xx processor
	Excellent color graphics
	Excellent sound processing
	OS-9 (Multi-user Multi-tasking OS)
	Integrated CDI player

Even if non-CDI OS-9 systems don't profit in any other way, lots of new
users means lots of inexpensive software.  Also, OS-9 supports networking.
It should be easy to attach a minimal CDI computer to a host OS-9 system
via network.

*******  Peter       Dibble@Rochester
I'm not a bit unbiased about OS-9.  If lots of people get OS-9 with
their CDI players maybe some of them will buy my books!

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (04/21/86)

In article <821@ihwpt.UUCP> knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) writes:

>> As I understand it, OS-9 will be used as an internal control operating
>> system within a closed, appliance type of product (i.e., like
>> a stereo component) which will use custom--and we can assume proprietary--
>> chips for graphics and audio.
>>
>> The question is: What advantage is held by a computer running OS-9 if
>> the CDI standard becomes a success?
>>     6- that OS-9 is really great, independent of CDI, and that you
>> 	come out ahead even without any of the above panning out.
>> 		    jimm
>
>When I posted, I thought only of (6) above -- that this CD
>standard was a nice feather in the cap of OS9 and we could all
>brag about "knowing OS9 when."  True, OS9 will be sealed up inside
>a box, and hardly anyone will know it's there.
>But I will, and so will you... mike k

     Mike, I've been trying to find out what level the CDI will see OS-9
and so far I haven't gotten an answer.  On BIX, we are currently winding
up a special conference with experts on CD-ROM, some of whom may know
a bit about this, but my question seems to have been buried in the mass.

     If I remember, I'll try to ask the question again.  I'll try to
post what I find out at that time.  In the meantime, we can't assume
anything.

                                         Cheers! -- Jim O.

--

geoff@desint.UUCP (04/21/86)

In article <333@ius2.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP writes:

> Hierarchical, tree-structured filesystems are 'in' now, but what about the
> more general digraph format, where a file or directory can be in more than one
> directory?  (Unix sort of does this, but there is only one parent directory
> at each point in the tree, referenced by ..).

This is an old idea that has been tried more than once, including in earlier
versions of Unix.  To my knowledge, every attempt on a read-write file
system has been a dismal failure.  The problem is that there are just too
many ways it can bite you.  Probably the most common is the way linked
files bit Unix-er's:  some poor schmuck does 'cp msg /bin/mail' to install
msg as the default mailer, not realizing that in the process he just wiped
out /bin/rmail.

It is an open question whether this would be a problem in read-only file
systems.

BTW, in passing I must put in my 2 cents' worth on Files-11.  I am all
too intimately familiar with the design of Files-11, as well as a large
number of comparative systems (file system design is one of my
subspecialties).  Files-11 has a remarkable number of serious design
flaws, along with less-serious howlers like their general principle of
"store all data in the least-manipulable format, especially if that
takes up extra space".
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	{hplabs,ihnp4}!trwrb!desint!geoff

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (04/23/86)

In article <821@ihwpt.UUCP>, knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) writes:
> > The question is: What advantage is held by a computer running OS-9 if
> > the CDI standard becomes a success?
> >     6- that OS-9 is really great, independent of CDI, and that you
> > 	come out ahead even without any of the above panning out.
> > 		    jimm
>
> When I posted, I thought only of (6) above -- that this CD
> standard was a nice feather in the cap of OS9 and we could all
> brag about "knowing OS9 when."  True, OS9 will be sealed up inside
> a box, and hardly anyone will know it's there.
> But I will, and so will you... mike k

   In fact, OS9 was specifically designed to act not only as an interactive
operating system, but as an embedded control environment.  MicroWare made
much of this capability in their early literature.

   I was operating OS9 back in 1980.

--
Disclaimer:  I hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for disclaimers.

tom keller
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

rb@ccird2 (04/26/86)

For those of you in Amiga, Mac, and ST

In article <821@ihwpt.UUCP> knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) writes:
>> In article <1185@lsuc.UUCP> jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:
>> >
>> >     Mike K. mentioned a CD-ROM standard based on OS-9 68K.  In fact, it's
>> >called CDI.
>> >                                            Cheers! -- Jim O.
>> >James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
>>
>> I can sense Jim's glee now that OS-9 is the darling of JerryP and the
>> InfoWorld circles of journalism, by virtue of its incorporation in
>> the CDI standard, but I have reservations and I would like to hear some
>> net input.
>>
>> As I understand it, OS-9 will be used as an internal control operating
>> system within a closed, appliance type of product (i.e., like
>> a stereo component) which will use custom--and we can assume proprietary--
>> chips for graphics and audio.
>>
>> The question is: What advantage is held by a computer running OS-9 if
>> the CDI standard becomes a success?
>>     6- that OS-9 is really great, independent of CDI, and that you
>> 	come out ahead even without any of the above panning out.
>> 		    jimm
>
>When I posted, I thought only of (6) above -- that this CD
>standard was a nice feather in the cap of OS9 and we could all
>brag about "knowing OS9 when."  True, OS9 will be sealed up inside
>a box, and hardly anyone will know it's there.
>But I will, and so will you... mike k

After the fiascos with 5 1/4" disks, and 3",3 1/2",100mm,... disks,
it looks like the drive makers have learned their lesson.  It looks
like they are trying to agree on one interface (SCSI), one size,
one format, and one file system (OS-9).  This reduces the risks
to the drive makers, their customers, and the end users.  At the
same time, there are a wide range of areas for competition, such
as rotational speed, caching, queuing, seek times, other speed
related issues, and price.

This compatibility is extra important when you consider that CD-ROMs
will have to be "Printed" like records.  Especially when you realize
the quantity of information that will be stored.  Things like an
entire encyclopedia, net.* for 1 year, every public domain source
ever published, all of Shakespears plays with illustrations, the
index to the library of congress, the telephone directory for the
state of New York,...  The mind boggles.  The point is that all
of these things cost money to develope.  Even 10% of the IBM
market wouldn't cover it.  All this before the first device is
even released!

My guess is that the BIGGEST reason for using OS-9 in CDI is that
OS-9 is the ONLY system which has a TRULY sharable Remote File System.
This not a file server like TCP/IP, FTP, or UUCP. Or a block server
like certain other systems.  This is a "remotely executed  device
driver".

With it you can send an "open /usr/lib/libc.a" or whatever file name,
and the treat it just like a standard block mode file.  You don't
have to know anything about how the files are structured, how
they are stored, or what the format of the disk is.  Just "read(3)" :-).
Furthermore, the PC side can do any translations of ":,\,<,>,..."
to a simple path format.  From the little bit of information I DO
have on it, it sounds like a VERY GOOD choice.

In addition, the OS can be ROMed, MMU is not required, but is
supported, and since it will probably run mostly the RFS server, heap
compaction isn't a real strain.  In addition, OS-9 has a VDI interface
for presentation graphics, good network protocols, and lots of other
good things.

I can see it now, 68070, 2 256Kx4 rams, SCSI controller/adapter,
and CD interface.  SCSI/ethernet adapter makes it available to
several hosts.  SCSI on the hosts make direct connection as simple
as "plugging in".

Besides, you should see the royalty schedule for 10K copies of
OS-9 :-).

I wonder if any of the 68K box makers will "follow suit". :-).

Note: followups to this article will be posted to net.micro.68k
(No need to always keep the net cluttered with duplicates)