[net.micro.6809] R.S. floppy controller query

pritch@osu-eddie.UUCP (Norman Pritchett) (06/22/86)

I have been under the impression that the floppy controller for the Color
Computer (the one sold with the slim-line drives if it makes a difference)
supported 4 single-sided drives.  After adding my fourth drive I found that
it wouldn't select the 4th drive but it would select the second side of my
double-sided drives.

Have my impressions been mistaken?  Do I max at three drives and get
double-sided support or am I supposed to get four drives and something isn't
working?

--
Norm Pritchett, The Ohio State University
BITNET: TS1703 at OHSTVMA	Bellnet: (614) 422-0885

dml@loral.UUCP (Dave Lewis) (06/25/86)

In article <1970@osu-eddie.UUCP> pritch@osu-eddie.UUCP (Norman Pritchett)
writes:
>I have been under the impression that the floppy controller for the Color
>Computer (the one sold with the slim-line drives if it makes a difference)
>supported 4 single-sided drives.  After adding my fourth drive I found that
>it wouldn't select the 4th drive but it would select the second side of my
>double-sided drives.
>                  Norm Pritchett, The Ohio State University

  Radio Shack did a funny thing when they made that controller. They used the
first 3 drive select lines on the bus, then connected the /D3 select line to
the side select. If you buy your disk cables from Radio Shack you find that
they've connected each of these four lines, in turn, to the /D0 select line
on one connector. All the drives are jumpered as drive 0, and the drive on
the first connector actually responds to the /D0 select. They want you to buy
THEIR cables you see (at $30 a shot too). Actually, you're better off with
three double-sided drives anyway (3 * 2 == 6, 4 * 1 == 4) IF both your drives
and your software will support it. None of Radio Shack's standard software,
including OS-9, will support double sided disks.

  While I will readily agree that they picked a strange way to handle the
thing it does make it simpler to rewrite their software for double sided
drives.

-------------------------------
		Dave Lewis    Loral Instrumentation   San Diego

    sdcsvax--\     gould9 --\
    ihnp4 ---->-->!sdcc3 ---->--->!loral!dml  (uucp)
    sdcrdcf -/     crash ---/

 "...got the most in you and use the least. Got a million in you and spend
pennies. Got a genius in you and think crazies. Got a heart in you and feel
empties."

-------------------------------

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (06/27/86)

In article <1970@osu-eddie.UUCP> pritch@osu-eddie.UUCP (Norman Pritchett) writes:
>I have been under the impression that the floppy controller for the Color
>Computer (the one sold with the slim-line drives if it makes a difference)
>supported 4 single-sided drives.  After adding my fourth drive I found that
>it wouldn't select the 4th drive but it would select the second side of my
>double-sided drives.
>
>Have my impressions been mistaken?  Do I max at three drives and get
>double-sided support or am I supposed to get four drives and something isn't
>working?
>
>--

     No, you aren't mistaken.  You can use 4 single sided drives
or you can use 3 double sided.  But as you have noticed, the standard
side select line is used to select drive 4 on the single sided RS
drives.  You can even mix single and double sided, as long as you
don't use the last drive position for anything but side select.
--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

mikey@bbimg.UUCP (07/02/86)

The problem was that back in the late 70's, when the Model I was first
coming out, Tandy wanted to be able to have 4 drives, the there were only
3 selects.  The line they picked for the 4th select later was defined
as the side select.  They get around the problem in the Model 3/4 by using
only 2 selects.  The internal drives are selected as 0 and 1, and the external
drives are selected as 0 and 1 on a totally different cable!  Unfortunately,
Tandy didn't put in the pin in the cable on the early 3s and 4s for the
side select signal.  Tandy uses all drives selected as all drives.  The
cable has pins installed for drive 0 only on the slot for drive 0.  This
makes it easy for the usually non-technical customer.  The only difference
that customer must concern himself with is one drive should have a
terminator pack.

BTW, if you want to put DS drives on a 3/4, just flip over the cable and then
jumper the drives for 0 and 1 on the drives.  The other side is just grounds
and can stand a few missing pins.

I'll bet the problem with the drive 4 select vs side select is you are using
an aftermarket supplier of drives.  (Maybe the new Tandy drives are standard,
as I think the cable with the disk cartridge now only comes with two slots,
and the 4 slot cable must be ordered from NP)

				Mike Yetsko
				trsvax!techsup!bbimg!mikey