[net.micro.6809] CHX, CHD in OS9 startup?

knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) (07/21/86)

Is there a simple way to put chd and chx commands in
the startup file (the shell script that OS9 runs auto'ly
on bootup), such that the effect of these commands will still
be felt after the startup file has bben executed?
Shell scripts, including startup, run under subshells, so
any chd/chx normally has effect only for the duration of that
script.
	What I want is to make bootups easier on my wife's new
Coco, which she will use strictly for word-processing with
OS9 Dynastar & Dynaform.  The working commands directory is on
another disk drive, not /d0/cmds.
	One possibility that occurs to me is to end the startup with
"exec shell </TERM" and hope that the subshell created for this
will inherit the new paths.  Seems to me I already tried something like
it though.
PS: I'm disappointed by James Jones' revelation that the C fcn library
code is so inefficient, apparently not written in assembler in the
first place.  On the other hand, it's nice to know there's another
opportunity for speedup.	--mike k
--
Mike J Knudsen  __   ...ihnp4!ihwpt!knudsen
              / NO \

dibble@rochester.ARPA (Peter C. Dibble) (07/22/86)

In article <991@ihwpt.UUCP>, knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) writes:
> Is there a simple way to put chd and chx commands in
> the startup file
> such that the effect of these commands will still
> be felt after the startup file has bben executed?
> --
> Mike J Knudsen  __   ...ihnp4!ihwpt!knudsen

Starting a shell from inside the startup file will work.  You can
change directories and start a shell but be sure to redirect standard
input for it.  The only problem I remember having with this approach is
that if you pop out of the shell (with an EOF) you get back to the startup
file and wind up in a shell that hasn't been chd'd.

Using tsmon is another trick.  The password file lets you specify directories
and an initial program to execute (typically shell).

If you want to go back to the beginning you can fuss with init and
(perhaps) sysgo.  The default directories and program for the system
are given in init.  Sysgo looks at init and gets things going.  On my 6809
system I use sysgo to change the execution directory and system disk from
/d0 to /h0 after the system is mostly booted.  OS9boot is on /d0, but
everything else (CMDS and startup) is on /h0.

Peter Dibble

pete@wlbreng1.UUCP (07/29/86)

Regarding setting up alternate working and execution directories,
there are a number of alternative methods, the best of which seems to
be using simple TSMON. In order to FORCE all users to login, you can
simply patch/debug (or whatever you prefer) the SYSGO module so that
it brings up TSMON instead of shell (after the startup shell, of
course). You could then set up each user for their OWN chx/chd
dierctories in the ../sys/password file. One nice thing about this
method is that it requires little additional ram. Also, you can have
many folks assigned the same user ID, but pointing to different
directories.

					Pete Lyall

Net: ...!ihnp4!wlbr!wlbreng1!pete
CIS: 76703,4230 (Asst. OS9 Sysop)

emjej@uokvax.UUCP (07/29/86)

/* Written  2:07 pm  Jul 28, 1986 by emjej@uokvax.UUCP in net.micro.6809 */
Since Microware C doesn't come by
default with the transcendental functions that whet.c uses,...
/* End of text from uokvax.UUCP:net.micro.6809 */

Someone's sure to get the wrong idea unless I disambiguate, so...
the above statement is correct only for Microware's C compiler for OS-9/6809.
The OS-9/68000 C compiler available from Microware does come with the
usual math library functions.

						James Jones