[net.micro.6809] Coco-III sighted and captured!

knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) (10/10/86)

Last night (Thur 10/9) we saw and held a CoCo-III at the
Glenside Coco Club meeting.
It had been bought that same day, and is probably one of the
first to arrive in the western Chicago suburbs.
It was found at a plain old Radio Shack, not a Confuser Center.

All we saw on it was the "Wheel" Basic graphics test program
from the latest Rainbow mag.  Since there was a full evening's
activities and the owner had only had it a few hours,
nothing else was done.  Didn't even try the 40, 64, or 80 col
display.

As you probably know, you have to look pretty close even to
tell a Coco-III from the II.  The keyboard (same as sold for $5
in a few Shacks last year) has all the arrow keys in a left-side diamond
and a REAL CONTROL key -- but you've heard all that.

The back side is the same as ever except for two RCA jacks for
baseband composite video (still no monochrome!!!) and audio.

Look underneath for the RGB connector.  It has a nice channel
molded into the plastic case for the cord, like on the back of
wall-mount telephones.  Also in this channel is an intriguing
rectangular cavity with a couple of unused screw posts, that
looks like a place to tuck a modulator or some sort of adaptor
(a modulator of course wouldn't do much good on RGB, but it would
be better on your TV than the existing 128x192 4-color display).

Does anyone know whether the composite video out shuts off
when using the extended hi-res modes, or does it still try to
put out what it can?

Has anyone else seen one of these beasts?  Is this net group
still alive??	Has everyone died and gone to Delphi?  --mike k
--
Mike J Knudsen    ...ihnp4!ihwpt!knudsen
Bell Labs (AT&T)   (312)-979-4132 (work)

ln63fhl@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (David Cook) (10/13/86)

I am very interested in the CoCo & os9 (multitasking!) but
	 would like to know a few things first:
	 *	How slow is CoCo + os9 (don't be coy, please)
	 *      Where do you get os9 and how much?
         *	How much software is out there?
	 Thanx for any replies,
				Dave Cook.

belmonte@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Matthew Belmonte) (10/13/86)

In article <1143@ihwpt.UUCP>, knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) writes:
> Has anyone else seen one of these beasts?  Is this net group
> still alive??	Has everyone died and gone to Delphi?  --mike k
Yes, this newsgroup is still alive, marginally.
...but let's face it -- things around here have lost vitality.  do you know
where everyone is?  well, i'll tell you.  they've all gone to net.micro.amiga,
& they're posting like mad.  I used to read net.micro.amiga in hopes that
someday i'd have one and have something to talk about.  yes, i''d have one of
those wonderful, CONTEMPORARY beasts and i could just leave this old CoCo hanging
off the side on some rs232 port as an antique conversation piece.
but do know why i'm still here?  i have no money, that's why.
let's face it - you can only change the CoCo so much.  it's still old.
it's going the way  of the apple  -- even the postfixes show it:
CoCo, CoCo 2, CoCo 3 ... Apple, Apple 2, Apple 2+, Apple 2x, Apple 3.
See the similarity?  I know someone who has a gigantic collection of old
Apple _n_'s (where _n_ is large).  he never does anything w/ them anymore,
except for when a friend of ours used to come to visit & play "Rescue
Raiders."  I've resolved that I'm going to stick around here & use the
university's machines & money & leave my old CoCo running a terminal
emulator.  no, why would people go to delphi from here?  delphi costs
MONEY, see?
--
"Logic dictated that logic did not apply."
	-- Spock, "The Galileo Seven"

belmonte@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Matthew Belmonte) (10/14/86)

In article <547@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU>, ln63fhl@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (David Cook) writes:
> I am very interested in the CoCo & os9 (multitasking!) but
> 	 would like to know a few things first:
> 	 *	How slow is CoCo + os9 (don't be coy, please)
OS9 is a very nice operating system.  The problem w/ running it on the CoCo is
that the CoCo just wasn't designed for multitasking.  In particular, disk
accesses are slow.  They slow down the whole system, because there is no DMA.
The disk controller plays w/ the HALT* line to the 6809, so nothing can get
any work done.
Any type of disk access will make the serial port (the original bit-banger, but
not the fancy, expensive RS232 add-on card) drop characters.  The serial port's
RD line is just 1 bit of a PIA (a parallel i/o chip).  it's read in a delay
loop, so every time you need something from the serial port, the whole machine
gets hogged for a fraction of a second.
> 	 *      Where do you get os9 and how much?
It depends what you mean by "os9."  I've forgotten R/S's prices, but you'll
need software -- languages or applications or whatever.
which brings us to the next topic...
>          *	How much software is out there?
there is alot of PD OS9 software floating around on bbs's.  there's also alot
on CompuServe's OS9 SIG (Go OS9).  Perhaps people could be more specific about
it if you specify a particular application or group of applications.  There's
a CoCo bbs list published every now & then in the _Rainbow_, and there's also
a column by Dale Puckett called "KISSable OS9" which helps when you're first
trying to find your way around OS9.
If I were you, I'd get an Amiga or ST and run OSK (if you have the funds).
OSK, from what I've seen of it, seems much more polished than 6809 OS9.
...& on those machines, you don't run into memory limitations (as much) & don't
end up cursing the hardware you're stuck w/ (as much).
--
"Logic dictated that logic did not apply."
	-- Spock, "The Galileo Seven"
Matthew Belmonte
ARPA:  <belmonte@rocky.cs.cornell.edu> <belmonte@svax.cs.cornell.edu>
BITNET:  <d25y@cornella> <d25y@crnlvax5>
UUCP:  ..!decvax!duke!duknbsr!mkb

jonh@tektools.UUCP (Andy Davidson) (10/15/86)

What's with you antagonists?!?  The CoCo is a beautiful machine.  I have a
friend who owns a CoCo I (Like mine) and a Tandy 1000.  The 1000 is claimed
to run faster than the IBM PCs.. Well, we pulled a simple benchmark.  With
BASIC, CoCo beat the 1000 twice over!  When the 1000 ran the benchmark in
compiled Pascal, CoCo won by about 3:4!  Then we tried it with CoCo having
taken Vitamin E.  I won't bother to tell you the results.  Now, from what
I hear, the CoCo III's graphics are great.. what; 64 colors, 640x192?  I think
weve got a real competitor.  All we need is some good Public Domain software.
Let's give a big hand to MikeyTerm.
   Where can we post CoCo programs?  Is there a net.sources.6809?  I have
a few ML utilities I've written.. C'mon guys, lighten up!!

	-- Jon ("In CoCo We Trust") Howell

myxm@lanl.ARPA (Mike Mitchell) (10/16/86)

OK you salami brains:

I am the proud owner of a coco (we are talking OLD OLD OLD!) which i
managed to get up to 128K before i gave up !!?! long ago i wanted
os9 to give me so many things... a year a go i would not part with
level 1 os9. but--i found the ibm/xt/at and now the stuff that i see for
my coco is dead meat!!! i unfortunately have dropped most of my coco
interest becuz uf the ibm. 6809 was the way to be, but i lost
interest from the radio crap guys...

i have not seen os9 in over a year.... nothing has changed (oh boy
now i get a whole 256k to work with!!!

what about the 640k of ram i now have and the other utilities i
work with....

give me some port that will talk 6809 and 80?86 and i will bw happy
what happened to os9 i used to swear by it......

Life is over for the spam head!

Mike Mitchell -- F Board Owner
1986

jonh@tektools.UUCP (Andy Davidson) (10/17/86)

>Any type of disk access will make the serial port (the original bit-banger, but
>not the fancy, expensive RS232 add-on card) drop characters.
		^^^^^^^^^ Not so anymore!
I went out to my local Shack and picked one up for, what, $29.95!  Haven't had
a chance to use it, for I lack the right cables..

	-jon