[net.misc] Has anyone ever found North Dakota

perelgut@utai.UUCP (Stephen Perelgut) (08/08/85)

For all the old-timers on the network (when people got excited about
having over 100 sites), has anyone ever found North Dakota?  There
were people who claimed to have seen signs leading there, and there
is certainly a South Dakota.  But nobody ever claimed to have actually
seen North Dakota.

Thanks,
--
Stephen Perelgut    Computer Systems Research Institute, University of Toronto

bcmbcm@wlcrjs.UUCP (Bruce Maynard) (08/13/85)

In article <650@utai.UUCP> perelgut@utai.UUCP (Stephen Perelgut) writes:
>For all the old-timers on the network (when people got excited about
>having over 100 sites), has anyone ever found North Dakota?  There

Yes, indeed! I've even found a PATH to a SYSTEM in North Dakota!
(unfortunately, I promptly lost it again... :-))

zeus@aero.ARPA (Dave Suess ) (08/14/85)

In article <650@utai.UUCP> perelgut@utai.UUCP (Stephen Perelgut) writes:
>For all the old-timers on the network (when people got excited about
>having over 100 sites), has anyone ever found North Dakota?  There
>were people who claimed to have seen signs leading there, and there
>is certainly a South Dakota.  But nobody ever claimed to have actually
>seen North Dakota.
>Stephen Perelgut    Computer Systems Research Institute, University of Toronto

There is, but don't tell anybody: they're saving it for folks who can handle
living a bit further north than sissy places, like Toronto.

Dave Suess - "I didn't leave that solid comfort -- I was kicked out!"
zeus@AEROSPACE.ARPA

faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel Faigin) (08/15/85)

In article <650@utai.UUCP> perelgut@utai.UUCP (Stephen Perelgut) writes:
> Has anyone ever found North Dakota?

Actually, it is Wyoming that does not exist. (I think N. Dakota
is just in the State of Confusion... or was that Idiocy).
According to something I heard, Wyoming is there just to fill out
the map. It has a nice shape; it looks good. But, it is all
wasteland. No one is from there (or will admit to being from
there).

Wyoming just doesn't exist.

Daniel.

P.S.: Maybe, just the entire northern central western part of the
US doesn't exist. You know, states like Idaho, N. Dakota,
Wyoming, Minnesota. Then, there are places that we wish didn't
exist. Like Detroit.

P.P.S.: Should this discussion be in net.bizarre?

DPF
--
UUCP: {akgua allegra ihnp4 hplabs sdcsvax trwrb cbosgd}!sdcrdcf!faigin
ARPA: sdcrdcf!faigin@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA --or-- sdcrdcf!faigin@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

W: SDC, 2500 Colorado MD 52-46; Santa Monica CA 90406; (213) 820-4111 x6493
H: 11743 Darlington Avenue #9; Los Angeles CA 90049; (213) 826-3357

The views and opinions expressed in  this message are not necessarily those of
my  employer,  except  the janitor who agrees with everything I write.  I hope
for his early recovery and release.

rich@aoa.UUCP (Rich Snow) (08/16/85)

> For all the old-timers on the network (when people got excited about
> having over 100 sites), has anyone ever found North Dakota?  There
> were people who claimed to have seen signs leading there, and there
> is certainly a South Dakota.  But nobody ever claimed to have actually
> seen North Dakota.

I was taught, quite properly, in 9th grade, by a very knowledgeable man;
that North Dakota did not exist. So my social studies teacher explained:
"see kid, it's just a sham set up by AT&T, there is no North Dakota,
and all the bucks the government puts out go to MA BELL!!!". He
proceded to prove this to our class by asking if anyone had friends
in ND., or been there.

So with the breakup & all, I expected people would start to wondering
about that lone buffalo on the prarie with the words BISMARK painted on it....

	Rich Snow
	...!{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!aoa!rich

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (08/16/85)

In article <225@aoa.UUCP> rich@aoa.UUCP (Rich Snow) writes:
>I was taught, quite properly, in 9th grade, by a very knowledgeable man;
>that North Dakota did not exist. So my social studies teacher explained:
>"see kid, it's just a sham set up by AT&T, there is no North Dakota,
>and all the bucks the government puts out go to MA BELL!!!".

Furthermore, South Dakota is merely a front  set  up  by  Citicorp  to  get
around the interstate banking regulations.

>                                                             He
>proceded to prove this to our class by asking if anyone had friends
>in ND., or been there.

No one goes to the Dakotas.  People (rarely) come from there.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                      Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

ant3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Butch Anton) (08/16/85)

Ok, let's try this again... (for those needing explanation, I just tried
to follow-up, and don't know what happend)

Anyhow, in all actuallity:

Yes, (insert your name), there really is a North Dakota.

I live in Montana (a likely story), and attend the University of
Chicago.  Therefore, I actually have to pass through No. Dak. to get
to school (or home, as the case may be).  Now granted, it isn't the
best scenery I have ever seen, but people live/die there, so I guess
they have to call it something (after all, they pay taxes, don't they?)

Now let's not bring up the question of Montana's existance, ok?

I have a hard enough time around Chicago explaining that it isn't
a foreign country!!!

Butch Anton
University of Chicago
..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!ant3

--

Butch Anton
University of Chicago

    uucp:  ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!ant3
    mailnet:  x9.xba@UChicago.Mailnet
    bitnet:  ant3%sphinx@UChicago.Bitnet
    ARPA:  x9.xba%UChicago.Mailnet@MIT-Multics.ARPA

howard@cyb-eng.UUCP (Howard Johnson) (08/17/85)

> In article <650@utai.UUCP> perelgut@utai.UUCP (Stephen Perelgut) writes:
> >For all the old-timers on the network (when people got excited about
> >having over 100 sites), has anyone ever found North Dakota?  There
>

> Yes, indeed! I've even found a PATH to a SYSTEM in North Dakota!
> (unfortunately, I promptly lost it again... :-))

Try ihnp4!dicomed!ndsuvax.  And yes, I have been to North Dakota.
My pathalias output lists ndsuvax as:
ndsuvax	ut-sally!topaz!cmcl2!lanl!mtu!umn-cs!dicomed!ndsuvax!%s
--
..!{seismo,topaz,mordor,harvard,gatech,nbires,ihnp4}!ut-sally!cyb-eng!howard
(ordered best to worst); also ..!{ut-ngp,shell}!cyb-eng!howard  +1 512 458 6609

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (08/18/85)

In article <997@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> ant3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Butch Anton) writes:
>Now let's not bring up the question of Montana's existance, ok?

A certain person in my department, who hails from New York City,
was unable to name Montana when I pointed to it on an unlabeled
map.  He'll never make it big in the dental-floss business!
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

zeus@aero.ARPA (Dave Suess [ISRO]) (08/20/85)

In article <225@aoa.UUCP> you write:
>So with the breakup & all, I expected people would start to wondering
>about that lone buffalo on the prarie with the words BISMARK painted on it....
>	Rich Snow

Yes, there's a NoDakota;  I hope it doesn't take a native to tell
you that the capital is Bismarck, not "BISMARK".  And "prarie" is
spelled "prairie".

Interesting joke, though.  Comes up every so often.  It does provide
a great illustration of how to use ignorance as an equivalent for
detecting conspiracies, a tradition long followed by other jokes like
creationism or the Trilateral Commission.   I bet you don't fly near
the Bermuda Triangle, do you?

Dave Suess, only in L.A. for an extended vacation while working

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (08/21/85)

[]
How about a path to the University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople?

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

kima@pesnta.UUCP (5) (08/24/85)

In article <1314@hound.UUCP> rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) writes:
>[]
>How about a path to the University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople?

I'm not sure about the path, but contact PDQ Bach.
He has even published pictures of the buildings at USNDH!

kima