[net.micro.6809] Serial port on CoCoIII

david@ukma.uky.csnet (David Herron, NPR Lover) (11/03/86)

Question:

	Does anybody know if the CoCo-III still has that stoopid
	old bit-banged serial port?  I haven't seen anything yea
	or nay in Rainbow or here.

[Doesn't change my decision about buying one... I've already got
 my deposit down... I just wanna know ya see...]
--
David Herron,  cbosgd!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET, david@ms.uky.csnet
	(I'm also "postmaster" at all those addresses)

VMR@PSUVMA.BITNET (11/04/86)

YES, THE COCO3 HAS THE SAME OLD SERIAL PORT, BUT THE NEW HIGH SPEED MODE
WILL ALLOW MORE RELIABLE TRANSMISSION AT HIGHER BAUD RATES.

rsanders@watdcsu.UUCP (Roger K. Sanderson P.Eng.) (11/04/86)

In article <5031@ukme.ukma.uky.csnet> david@ukma.uky.csnet (David Herron, NPR Lover) writes:
>Question:
>
>	Does anybody know if the CoCo-III still has that stoopid
>	old bit-banged serial port?  I haven't seen anything yea
>	or nay in Rainbow or here.

It is my understanding that , yes they still use the bit banger, however
there is a facility for generating timer interupts. These can be used
so many times per bit to give some interuptability.
See the article in Nov. Rainbow about TERM3.
He samples 5 times per bit (I think).
--

               Roger Sanderson
               Electrical Engineering Dept.

               {decvax,allegra,ihnp4}!watmath!watdcsu!rsanders

VMR@PSUVMA.BITNET (11/05/86)

THE COCO III STILL HAS THE SAME "BITBANGER" RS-232 PORT.
BUT, WITH THE NEW HIGH SPEED MODE, HIGHER BAUD RATES CAN BE USED MORE RELIABLY.

-------
VICTOR RICKER