[net.micro.6809] OS9 Level II for the CoCo III

harmon@abic.UUCP (Larry Harmon) (11/06/86)

	Where is OS9 Level 2 for the new CoCo?  I bought my CoCo 3 about a
month ago and have been patiently awaiting the release of OS9.  My patience,
however, is running thin.  My primary use for the CoCo is to run OS9.  The
CoCo 3 won't run OS9 Level 1.  Why is Tandy taking so long?  Microware says
that they have released the CoCo Level II version a while ago.  If thats true
then where is Level II? Is it lost?  Does anyone know anything about it?

						waiting

							Larry Harmon

knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) (11/07/86)

> 	Where is OS9 Level 2 for the new CoCo?  I bought my CoCo 3 about a
> month ago and have been patiently awaiting the release of OS9.  My patience,
> however, is running thin.  My primary use for the CoCo is to run OS9.  The
> CoCo 3 won't run OS9 Level 1.  Why is Tandy taking so long?  Microware says
> that they have released the CoCo Level II version a while ago.  If thats true
> then where is Level II? Is it lost?  Does anyone know anything about it?
> 						waiting
> 							Larry Harmon
To: cbatt!cwruecmp!abic!harmon
Subject: Re: OS9 Level II for the CoCo III

Well, you're right and wrong.  Most of my Coco work is
done on OS9 (C-language music graphics), and yes I'd
like to have Level II.  Various reliable sources say that
it won't be out till at least December, tho you must have noticed
the series of articles in RAINBOW by a guy who's had it for
many moons.  A Beta pre-release I guess.  Funny he doesn't talk
about all the bugs it must have; maybe that's part of his
non-disclosure deal with Tandy (no :-), I mean it).
Maybe Level II hasn't passed FCC RFI certification (now the ;-) ).

As for running old OS9 on the III -- SOME Coco IIIs can;
we did it at a club meeting (where anything that can fail will).

However, you MUST boot up Version 2.0 first; to run
1.0 or 1.1, you insert your boot disk of that version
and hit RESET.  Unforch, my own Coco III won't boot Version 2,
so guess you and I are in same boot (boat?).   Would love to know why.
Just before the boot starts seeking all over the disk, it
cold-restarts BASIC.  Maybe it's because I'm using a DISTO
controller, tho with RSDOS ROM in it.
Anyway, try booting Version 2 on your III.	--mike k
--
Mike J Knudsen    ...ihnp4!ihwpt!knudsen
Bell Labs (AT&T)   (312)-979-4132 (work)