Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site harpo.UUCP
Date:Tue, 10-May-83 15:42:44 EDT

	And then there was a friend of mine who thought the
    Eagle's "Life in the Fast Lane" was "Life in the Vaseline"
    hmm......
						-Glenn

jdb@qubix.UUCP (Jeff Bulf) (10/30/84)

> [-- Mark A.]
> Any other nominees out there for Most Unintelligible Lyrics?

I'm kind of ashamed to admit this, but I never did make head or tail of the
lyrics to the Kingsmen's record of Louie Louie.

"But it's really *great* sh*t, Mrs. Preski!"
--
	Dr Memory
	...{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!qubix!jdb

markv@dartvax.UUCP (Mark Vita) (10/31/84)

<...>

   About unintelligible lyrics--the master of garbled pronunciation has got to
be John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival.  Surely you've all heard
the tune "Bad Moon Risin'" which contains the line:
     There's a bad moon on the rise...
which, because of Fogerty's bizzare diction, has oft been interpreted as:
     There's a bathroom on the right....

   It took me years to figure out that the refrain of "Lodi" is:
     Oh Lord, stuck in old Lodi again.....

   There are still some lines in "Down On The Corner" and "Fortunate Son"
which mystify me.

   A more recent unintelligible vocalist is Stevie Ray Vaughan.  He has
kind of a rough voice to start with, and a Texas drawl which makes it
worse.  He also has a tendency to insert interjections such as
"mah" (my) in the middle of lines, which makes it much harder to figure
them out.  Frankly, I listen to Vaughan for the guitar, and have never
been struck by any of the lyrics, so I maybe haven't cared enough to
try to fully translate them all.  However, after seeing the video for
"Couldn't Stand The Weather", which is kind of bizzare, I've become
interested in figuring out exactly what he says.  Anybody out there
have a full (or even partial) decryption of the lyrics to this tune?

   I really wish that record companies would make it a policy to publish
lyric sheets with all albums, unless the artist has a strong objection
to doing this.  (I don't see why they should, unless the lyrics happen
to be embarrassingly bad.)  I sometimes like figuring out lyrics
on my own, but it's frustrating when you can't confirm your guesses.

--

                                Mark Vita
                                Dartmouth College

                       USENET:  {decvax,cornell,linus,astrovax}!dartvax!markv
                       ARPA:    markv%dartmouth@csnet-relay
                       CSNET:   markv@dartmouth

sherouse@unc.UUCP (George W. Sherouse) (11/01/84)

Unintelligibleness (?) comes in lots of flavors.  There's
a Joni Mitchell couplet (I think on Hejira) that goes something
like

	...the people 30 stories down
	look like colored currents in the street...

It was only after many listens that I realized that she meant
"currents" and not "currants".  I still like my version better.

George W. Sherouse
<decvax!mcnc!unc!godot!sherouse>

"... 'til I step on the brake to get out of her clutches..."

acsgjjp@sunybcs.UUCP (Jim Poltrone) (11/06/84)

I still don't know how that Beach Boys song can be called "Barbara Ann".
Every time I hear it on the radio or wherever, it always sounds like:
     "Ba Ba Ba, Ba Ba Ba Ran".
I still maintain that the song is really "Baba Ran".  And that falsetto is
awful!  (Ba-ba Ran....)
(on a sidenote, there were some new lyrics written in the wake of the
hostage situation five years ago -- 'nuff said!)
And when I was younger, I thought Buddy Holly was singing about "Peggy
Soup" (now I know it's Peggy Sue).  Shades of cannibalism here? :-)
--
From under the smogberry trees....
Jim Poltrone  (a/k/a Poltr1, the Last of the Raster Blasters)

   "But someday soon we'll stop to ponder
    What on earth's this spell we're under
    We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are..."

wn@maxvax.UUCP (11/06/84)

During this discussion, I'm really surprised that no one
has mentioned that recent, punk-folk-hippie music band from
Athens, Georgia, R.E.M. They are one of the best bands of
the past few years, but I think a lot of people have trouble
enjoying their music because the lead singer's vocals are
not only slurred and heavily accented (Southern?), but they
are usually buried way down in the mix. The tunes have very
catchy melodies, with jangling guitars and harmonies, but it's
hard to "sing along" when you don't know what-the-heck is being
sung!
	Anyway, don't let this keep you away from this fine band's
music. There most recent album is "Reckoning", their first is called
"Murmer", their both available on IRS Records (wherever five records
are sold -): ), and I highly recommend them both.

Bill
...maxvax!wn

mengm@homxa.UUCP (P.MENG) (11/07/84)

---------------------><---------------------------
Unintelligible lyrics,
	I used to think that the Down Under lyrics by Men at Work
were actually "I come from a land of hunger" . In fact I've
been caught singing this phrase to myself on more than one
occasion.

BTW, whats goin on with Men At Work??
It seems like years.

				Peter Meng

---------------------><---------------------------

Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL-VLD.ARPA> (11/07/84)

"Barbara Ann" is not a Beach Boys original.  It was done in 1961 by
the Regents (and I think the Regents' version is in American Graffiti).

What new lyrics are you referring to about the hostage crisis?  The
only ones I know of were to the music of "My Sharona", new title being
"Ayatollah".

----- Forwarded message # 1:

From: Jim Poltrone <acsgjjp@sunybcs.uucp>
Newsgroups: net.music
Subject: Re: Unintelligible lyrics
Date: 5 Nov 84 23:58:45 GMT

I still don't know how that Beach Boys song can be called "Barbara Ann".
Every time I hear it on the radio or wherever, it always sounds like:
     "Ba Ba Ba, Ba Ba Ba Ran".
I still maintain that the song is really "Baba Ran".  And that falsetto is
awful!  (Ba-ba Ran....)
(on a sidenote, there were some new lyrics written in the wake of the
hostage situation five years ago -- 'nuff said!)
And when I was younger, I thought Buddy Holly was singing about "Peggy
Soup" (now I know it's Peggy Sue).  Shades of cannibalism here? :-)
--
From under the smogberry trees....
Jim Poltrone  (a/k/a Poltr1, the Last of the Raster Blasters)
uucp: [decvax,watmath,rocksvax]!sunybcs!acsgjjp
ARPAnet, CSnet: acsgjjp%buffalo@CSNET-RELAY

   "But someday soon we'll stop to ponder
    What on earth's this spell we're under
    We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are..."

----- End of forwarded messages

Ron Natalie <ron@BRL-TGR.ARPA> (11/08/84)

Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran.

allynh@ucbvax.ARPA (Allyn Hardyck) (11/17/84)

AND they're great live.  The best concert I've seen this year (at the
Warfield (SF) in June).
--
			"When you hear the air attack warning..."

							Allyn Hardyck
							..!ucbvax!allynh
							allynh@ucbvax.ARPA

Pawka <PAWKA@nosc-tecr.ARPA> (01/25/85)

	Speaking of such, can anyone give the words in the chorus line
in "The Heart of Rock and Roll"? Thanks,
					Mike
------

al@psivax.UUCP (Al Schwartz) (02/01/85)

In article <7711@brl-tgr.ARPA> Pawka <PAWKA@nosc-tecr.ARPA> writes:

>	Speaking of such, can anyone give the words in the chorus line
>in "The Heart of Rock and Roll"? Thanks,
>					Mike
>------
The heart o' rock and roll is still beatin'
And from what I've seen I believe 'em
Now the old boy may be barely breathin'
but the heart o' rock and roll, the heart o' rock and roll, is still beat-in'.
Yow! Am I having fun yet?             Al Schwartz
                                      Pacesetter Systems Inc., Sylmar, CA
{trwrb|allegra|burdvax|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|sdcsvax|aero|uscvax|ucla-cs|
 bmcg|sdccsu3|csun|orstcs|akgua|randvax}!sdcrdcf!psivax!al

marno@ihuxm.UUCP (Marilyn Ashley) (02/04/85)

> 	Speaking of such, can anyone give the words in the chorus line
> in "The Heart of Rock and Roll"? Thanks,
> 					Mike
> ------

  They say the Heart of Rock and Roll is still beating
  And from what I've seen I believe it
  Now the others may be barely breathing
  But the Heart of Rock and Roll, Heart of Rock and Roll is still beating.

Ron Natalie <ron@BRL-TGR.ARPA> (02/05/85)

Old boy?  Oh, I thought they were saying "elbow".

-Ron

The elbow of rock and roll is still bending.

God bless the human elbow.
God bless it where it bends.
If it bent too long, we'd be dry, I fear.
If it bent too short, we'd be drinking in our ear.
So, God bless it where it bends.