[net.legal] Computer Sightseers

dave@utcsrgv.UUCP (Dave Sherman) (02/10/84)

>  Newsgroups: net.general
>  Subject: Computer Sightseers
>  From: castor::covert  (John Covert)
>  		Computer Sightseers Philosophy
>
>  The act of dialing into a computer system is no different than walking
>  up to the front door of a business and asking for a tour.

>  Searching for computer systems by dialing numbers in sequence is also
>  no different than walking down the public streets of a town knocking
>  on doors or dialing telephone numbers in sequence taking a poll or
>  selling a product.
>
>  Unless there are clearly proven attempts by the caller to commit fraud,
>  this activity is no crime.

You're welcome to your moral conclusions (I agree with some of them),
but "this activity is no crime" states a legal conclusion, not a moral
one. Whether or not a crime exists depends on your local statutes. For
example, today in Canada "knocking on [computer] doors" is not a crime.
In a few months it probably will be.

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
 {allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utcsrgv!dave