[net.misc] Banning Smoking - A New WA state law

bill@persci.UUCP (07/27/85)

From this morning's Seattle Times (7/27/85 Saturday):
"STRICTER BAN TO HIT SMOKERS AT MIDNIGHT

Come midnight, cigarette, cigar, and pipe smoker -probably feeling picked on
already- may notice the walls closing in even more when a new state law which
bans smoking in most public places goes into effect.

[...] the State Clean Air Act will prohibit smokers from puffing away as they
push their carts down the grocery aisle, stand in line at the bank and shop for
clothes at a department store.

The Legislature has decreed as strictly off-limits to smoking those places plus
all museums, elevators, buses, classrooms, sites of public meetings and the
reception areas and waiting rooms of state and local government buildings, among
other areas.

In these instances, owners will not have the option to set aside smoking areas.

[...] (the measure) carries a stiff penalty. Under the state law, scofflaw
smokers can be fined $100. So can stores and businesses that fail to post no-
smoking signs.

[...]

The state law makes it illegal to smoke as you stroll from one store to another
in an enclosed shopping mall, although designated smoking areas inside the mall
can be set aside. Other places where smoking areas can be designated include
hallways of nursing homes and lobbies of concert halls, theaters, auditoriums,
exhibition halls and indoor sports areas if the designated areas are in a
physically separate spot.

Even when hailing a taxicab a smoker should look for a "smoking allowed" sign.
Otherwise smoking in the taxi is taboo.

The new law permits relatively few owners of public places the discretion of
opening up their businesses to smoking in their entirety - places such as
tobacco shops, bars, taverns, bowling alleys and restaurants.

[...]"

William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

horton@fortune.UUCP (Randy Horton) (07/31/85)

Distribution:na

Yet another attack on personal liberty.  Segregation of smokers is a
reasonable way to preserve the rights of non-smokers, but banning smoking
altogether in almost all public places?  No smoking in between stores in a
mall?  When will Washington pass a law requiring it's citizens to take
their vitamins and eat their vegetables?

              |   allegra\   Randy Horton @ Fortune Systems |
              |   cbosgd  \                                 |
              |   dual     >!fortune!ranhome!randy          |
              |   ihnp4   /                                 |
              |   nsc    /   Clever disclaimer goes here    |

jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) (08/08/85)

In article <5412@fortune.UUCP> horton@fortune.UUCP (Randy horton) writes:

> Yet another attack on personal liberty.  Segregation of smokers is a
> reasonable way to preserve the rights of non-smokers, but banning smoking
> altogether in almost all public places?  No smoking in between stores in a
> mall?  When will Washington pass a law requiring it's citizens to take
> their vitamins and eat their vegetables?

Not taking ones vitamins does not interfere with the health and comfort of
other people, as does smoking in public places.  In a mall or other such
environment, it is rather difficult to segregate smokers and non-smokers.
--
				    Joe Arceneaux

				    Lafayette, LA
				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

dpw@rayssd.UUCP (Darryl P. Wagoner) (08/20/85)

> In article <5412@fortune.UUCP> horton@fortune.UUCP (Randy horton) writes:
> >
> > Yet another attack on personal liberty.  Segregation of smokers is a
> > reasonable way to preserve the rights of non-smokers, but banning smoking
> > altogether in almost all public places?  No smoking in between stores in a
> > mall?  When will Washington pass a law requiring it's citizens to take
> > their vitamins and eat their vegetables?
>
> Not taking ones vitamins does not interfere with the health and comfort of
> other people, as does smoking in public places.  In a mall or other such
> environment, it is rather difficult to segregate smokers and non-smokers.
> --
> 				    Joe Arceneaux
>
> 				    Lafayette, LA
> 				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

Smoking or taking ones vitamins IS NOT the issue.  It was call an attack
on personal liberty.  Attack on personal liberty.  Hell that is an act of
war !!! Kept your laws off my body.  I am a not smoker and have always been.
It drives me up the wall for people to smoke around me.

--
	Darryl Wagoner
	Raytheon Co.; Portsmouth RI; (401)-847-8000 x4089

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (08/28/85)

> > > Yet another attack on personal liberty.  Segregation of smokers is a
> > > reasonable way to preserve the rights of non-smokers, but banning smoking
> > > altogether in almost all public places?  No smoking in between stores in a
> > > mall?  When will Washington pass a law requiring it's citizens to take
> > > their vitamins and eat their vegetables?
> >
> > Not taking ones vitamins does not interfere with the health and comfort of
> > other people, as does smoking in public places.  In a mall or other such
> > environment, it is rather difficult to segregate smokers and non-smokers.
> > --
> > 				    Joe Arceneaux
>
> Smoking or taking ones vitamins IS NOT the issue.  It was call an attack
> on personal liberty.  Attack on personal liberty.  Hell that is an act of
> war !!! Kept your laws off my body.  I am a not smoker and have always been.
> It drives me up the wall for people to smoke around me.
>
> 	Darryl Wagoner

I am a smoker but maybe I'm one of a dying (no pun) breed. I ALWAYS ask
people around me if they mind if I smoke. I never blow smoke in peoples
face and in general am considerate of other peoples lungs and RIGHTS.

The point is by somebody reinforcing nonsmokers rights, I, NOT BY MY CHOICE,
have given up some of ny rights. Even if it to kill myself by smoking,
it is still LEGAL. If I'm smoking in a place where smoking is permitted,
and you come up to me and say "Put it out" I say No, go somewhere else.