[net.legal] Demon Alcohol

newt@foxvax1.UUCP (A.J. McKay III ) (05/11/84)

The reference to the myriad of alcoholic beverage laws that exist in this
country leads to an interesting open question :

       What alcoholic beverage licensing laws that you have encountered in
your travels are the dumbest, funniest, most restrictive, most interesting,
etc.

                                        Newt

presley@mhuxj.UUCP (Joe Presley) (05/14/84)

>From: newt@foxvax1.UUCP
>       What alcoholic beverage licensing laws that you have encountered in
>your travels are the dumbest, funniest, most restrictive, most interesting,
>etc.

Sevier County, Arkansas (where I grew up) is a dry county; however, the
country club was allowed to serve alcoholic beverages.  The fact that
only the "outstanding" citizens belonged apparently had nothing to do
with it :-).

Oklahoma (and the bars) were only eight miles west.  The sheriff's
department on Saturdays set up roadblocks on US 70 and did a very good
business.

Also, Henderson State Univ. and Ouachita Baptist Univ.  are located in
another dry Arkansas county.  To get alcohol, the students drove 30
miles to Hot Springs county ...
--

   Joe Presley (mhuxj!presley, ihnp4!j.presley)

darryl@ism780.UUCP (05/14/84)

#R:foxvax1:-41200:ism780:18300003:000:227
ism780!darryl    May 12 23:09:00 1984

The state of New Mexico does not allow the sale of alchohol on
Sunday.  (I was 'just passing through' and thought I would acquire
a beer bottle for a friend with a collection).

	    --Darryl Richman
	    cca!ima!ism780!darryl

faunt@saturn.UUCP (Doug Faunt) (05/14/84)

South Carolina used to have, and may still, for all I know,
had a set of the strangest laws imaginable.
Liquor stores closed at sunset, so you had to keep track of that.
There was no liquor-by-the drink, except in "private" clubs.

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (05/14/84)

In Texas, rules for topless bars are under the jurisdiction of the
Alcohol Control Board (or whatever it is called).  They passed
a rule that topless dancers must wear pasties (the reasoning, according
to a friend of mine who used to dance topless was "hygenic".  "To keep
nipple hairs from falling into the customer's drinks".  But I digress).

Sometime after this rule was passed, male topless bars became popular.
Female dancers complained that the male dancers didn't have to wear
pasties, and that this was discriminatory under the Texas Equal Rights
Amendment (to the State constitution).  Never one to discriminate, the
ACB passed a rule that made wearing pasties mandatory for both male and
female topless dancers!
--

	Bill Jefferys  8-%
	Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712   (USnail)

ken@ihuxq.UUCP (ken perlow) (05/15/84)

--
Where is it that, until very recently, you could not legally be
served alcohol unless you were sitting down?  Ontario?

leon@hhb.UUCP (Leon Gordon) (05/15/84)

   What about bartenders?  Are they alcohol Daemons?

			...... sorry bout that......

mag@whuxle.UUCP (Gray Mike) (05/15/84)

>>The reference to the myriad of alcoholic beverage laws that exist in this
>>country leads to an interesting open question :
>>
>>       What alcoholic beverage licensing laws that you have encountered in
>>your travels are the dumbest, funniest, most restrictive, most interesting,
>>etc.
>>
>>                                        Newt

Three years ago, I was spending the weekend in Cape May, New Jersey with
a friend.  We decided that we wanted to buy a bottle of chilled white wine
and take it back to our hotel room with us to share.  At 10:05, we arrived
at a local liquor store and I pulled a bottle out of the cooler.  The clerk
informed me that he couldn't sell it to me chilled, but I could buy a warm
one!  He explained that local law required that only *warm* beer and wine
could be sold "to go" after 10:00 p.m.

						Mike Gray, BTL, WH

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (05/16/84)

[]
There was a time when you could not drink while standing or moving
about in the State of Washington or the District of Columbia.
You had to ask the waitress to bring your drink to you if you
moved from one place to another.  Further, bars were illegal, at
one time, in Columbia, S. C..  However, there was a nice little
cocktail lounge one block behind the capitol building which
featured a state patrolman in a squad car sitting out front.
Whenever a quorum call came at the capitol, the message was
relayed to the squad car and the patrolman went into the lounge
and made an announcement to the gaggle of politicians bellyed
up to the bar.

In Charleston, there was a lounge in a hotel that was raided
about once every three months.  The law reads that the raiders
were to confiscate all liquor that was in sight.  The bar kept
only a minimum supply out front, with the rest locked up in a back
room.  Everyone was satisfied.  The lounge stayed open, the local
law made points by raiding, and the salesmen were able to down
a couple in the evening.  BUT, a new District Attorney, out to
make a name for himself, was elected.  He went along on the
next raid.  After the law had collected its "liquor in sight"
and were ready to leave, the new DA wanted to know what was behind the
locked door.  The management, thinking they were safe, opened the
door.  The DA took ALL of the booze in the room.  What a ruckus.
The new DA was booted in the next election and had to leave
town in disgrace.  The lounge did get its booze back when the
judge agreed that it had been taken in an unlawful search and
that it had not been "in sight".  Even the local cops stuck
up for the lounge management.
T. C. Wheeler

andrew@inmet.UUCP (05/17/84)

#R:foxvax1:-41200:inmet:16000003:000:523
inmet!andrew    May 15 09:05:00 1984

Massachusetts, like many states, forbids over-the-counter sale of alcoholic
beverages on Sunday - with one exception: any winery which uses Mass.-grown
fruits in making its products is exempt from this restriction.  To the best
of my knowledge, only one place in the state (Nashoba Valley winery, in W.
Concord) satisfies these requirements.

Of course, if you prefer grape wine to cranberry or pear, you can always
drive to New Hampshire... :-)

Andrew W. Rogers, Intermetrics   ...{harpo|ihnp4|ima|esquire}!inmet!andrew

ark@rabbit.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (05/17/84)

inmet!andrew says that the only alcoholic beverages that may be sold
on Sunday are wines made from Mass.-grown fruits sold at the winery.

I have corroborating evidence.  In West Tisbury, Mass. (on Martha's
Vineyard) is Chicama Vineyards.  They grow grapes and make quite a
respectable Chenin Blanc.  I've heard good things about their Chardonnay
too, but they've always been sold out when I've been there.  Anyway,
one can buy their wines at the vineyard on Sundays.