[net.legal] BBS Confiscation - followup

brian@sdccsu3.UUCP (Brian Kantor) (05/25/84)

---
Sender: "Harris B. Edelman" <HEDELMAN@JPL-VLSI.ARPA>

Following is relayed from MBBS Headquarters RCP/M in Los Angeles, is
Tom Tcimpidis' follow-up to his first message re: the seizure last week
by LAPD/Pacific Telephone of his BBS:

Msg#: 46     Date: 05/22/84 2:54 PM
From: TOM TCIMPIDIS
  To: ALL
  Re: MOG-UR UPDATE

     I, today, talked with Peggy Watt who is the legal editor
for Infoworld. I gave her a synopsis of what occurred and
the names an numbers of the indivduals involved. She is going
to look into the matter and see what she can determine through
her contacts (she agrees that the situations seem out of line)
and then get back to me. (I have also received quries from
the L.A. Times and KCBS TV.)
     She would also be interested in sitting in on a meeting of
the Sysops of various systems (something Lynzie of DYM69
suggested) to discuss the situation and what can be done to
rectify and prevent it. I would like to arrange such a meeting
as soon as possible. Please call me at 366-4837 and we will
proceed. Everyone needs to stick together in this because it
could ultimately affect us all, nt just me.
     P.S. Please spread this message around on any other
systems that you access. Thanks.  Tom Tcimpidis 5/21/84

-------

From: ssalzman.es@XEROX.ARPA
Date: 24 May 84 11:11:09 PDT
Subject: Update on MOG-URs BBS Confiscation

Rick Gaitley, who is sysop of Xanadu RCPM/ and a friend of Tom's,
decided to call the phone company and find out why his system was
confiscated.  Apperently, someone left an AT&T calling card number
on Tom's board and it remained there for over a month. It's very
possible that Tom had no idea of that message being there. Ths
same calling card number showed up on Xanadu after Tom left the
message there about what happened to his board. Rick immediatly
deleted it. At any rate, I can see why the phone company might get a little
ticked off. According to the phone company, the reason they took
the system (supposedly) was to try and find the person who left
the message. The person Rick talked to is the one that actually
took Tom's machine. If anyone cares to find out any more,
the number of Ricks system (Xanadu) is (818)906-1636.

				- Isaac Salzman
Ssalzman.es@Xerox
--
"Actually, tomatoes are fags."