[net.legal] Computer Bulletin Boards Must Be Confiscated!

tjj@ssc-vax.UUCP (05/31/84)

Perhaps the subject line is somewhat skewed, but it seems that in all the
fuss and feathers over the confiscation of the computer BB by the LAPD, no
one has looked for a cogent reason that would require such action.  I am not
an attorney, but isn't it a requirement that when someone is charged with a
crime that sufficient evidence must be presented for both an indictment and
a conviction?  So person A commits an offense by leaving a message on person
B's computer bulletin board.  If I, as the prosecuting attorney, want to
establish the fact that such a crime was committed, what kind of evidence
must I have?  Right!  I have to have proof that a message was transmitted
and I must be able to present its content.  How do I go about acquiring the
custody of said evidence that is required to do my job?  Maybe there are
other ways, but certainly a very straightforward method is to obtain a warrant
for the seizure of the computer BB system.  I may not know exactly which portion
of the system contains the real evidence, but at least I know I've got my arms
around what is needed.

I wouldn't like to have my computer system confiscated either, but I don't
think I'd go around claiming that all Sysop's were going to be thrown in the
slammer simply for what was placed on their bulletin board system.  What say
the legal beagles on the net?

Ted Jardine
--
TJ (with Amazing Grace) The Piper
Boeing Computer Services

cbspt002@abnjh.UUCP (06/01/84)

<confiscate this...>

T Jardine writes:

>Perhaps the subject line is somewhat skewed, but it seems that in all the
>fuss and feathers over the confiscation of the computer BB by the LAPD, no
>one has looked for a cogent reason that would require such action.  I am not
>an attorney, but isn't it a requirement that when someone is charged with a
>crime that sufficient evidence must be presented for both an indictment and
>a conviction?

Sufficient evidence to indict is far different and less stringent than that
need to convict (depending on the jurisdiction).  A judge at an indictment
is primarily concerned with whether the police had probable cause, etc.,
to arrest, whether what evidence has been collected has been done so properly
(not stepping on anybody's civil rights, entrapment, etc.), and whether the
state has/will have enough evidence to try the accused in a court in front of a
jury without making total fools of itself.

>  So person A commits an offense by leaving a message on person
>B's computer bulletin board.  If I, as the prosecuting attorney, want to
>establish the fact that such a crime was committed, what kind of evidence
>must I have?  Right!  I have to have proof that a message was transmitted
>and I must be able to present its content.  How do I go about acquiring the
>custody of said evidence that is required to do my job?

For indictment - A printout from the BB or Pactel records should suffice.
For trial-
Why not just ask the Sysop to be a witness for the prosecution? That way
no property is confiscated.  Unless of course the Sysop is unwilling to
testify, on which case his records and he can be subpoenead.  If he has
altered the record, the Sysop is guilt of perjury and deliberate destruction
of evidence. You can get at the truth without confiscating anything.

>  Maybe there are
>other ways, but certainly a very straightforward method is to obtain a warrant
>for the seizure of the computer BB system.

The Constitution and Bill of Rights are around , thankfully, to protect us
from just such totalitarian 'straightforward methods'.

>I may not know exactly which portion
>of the system contains the real evidence, but at least I know I've got my arms
>around what is needed.

You quite probably have your arms around a genuine 'fruit from the poisined
tree' or in this case the whole tree.  Conspirators and Sysop walk out free
men since this evidence gets tossed at the indictment.

>I wouldn't like to have my computer system confiscated either, but I don't
>think I'd go around claiming that all Sysop's were going to be thrown in the
>slammer simply for what was placed on their bulletin board system.  What say
>the legal beagles on the net?

I say we are dealing with a very new area for the law to be in.  Do bulletin
boards have 1st amendment rights? Newspapers do, but TV's only partly do.
Also, does the LAPD really have jurisdiction in this matter? Seems to me phone
crime is a federal rap. In which case the LAPD shouldn't have been involved in
a confiscation. I also say more details are needed...

Marc Kenig ["maybe I should have been a lawyer...?"]
ATT-IS (consultant), S. Plainfield

bsafw@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (06/03/84)

	I am in the process of developing a general BBS system running on our
Unix system.  I certainly don't want to have THIS system confiscated!

	The problem is that I can only access this system dialup, and that not
too often due to usage.  If someone posts something offensive, it may be a few
days before I catch it.  Likewise for system passwords, "Calling Cards", et
cetera.  Should this system be confiscated if I can't get to the reference and
kill it before Ameritech (local Bell) catches it and gets our system confis-
cated?  Especially as a major local company depends on the system?

	I don't know if the situation would be considered differently for an
(almost-) mainframe or not, but the Model 16 I'm using is essentially a desktop
system, and might therefore be covered by the precedent set up by this issue.
So I (and the superuser) have an interest in coming up with an alternative to
straight confiscation, such as forcing the board offline temporarily until a
hearing can be arranged (in this case, the BBS would be deactivated, so the
corporate users could continue using the system remotely).  Don't conclude that
confiscation is the way to insure you have the evidence.  (If it's a computer
offense, there should be someone involved who understands computers, anyway --
in which case, confiscation of the floppies containing the message(s) (backups
on here) would suffice.)

						Brandon Allbery
						decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsafw
"...he himself being one universe's prime	MCI MAIL: 161-7070
example of utter, rambunctious free will!"	USMail (core dump):
							6504 Chestnut Road
							Independence, OH 44131

fran@cbdkc1.UUCP ( Frank Webb 3587) (06/04/84)

<for the itty bitty bit bucket>

C'mon gang, we are forgetting one of the more important facts about
the case.  The BB in question maintained an UNDERGROUND board, where
this kind of posting (credit card nos, etc.) may be presumed to have
been either welcomed, or at least tolerated.  The posting in question
had been in the board for a month.  These two facts were probably the
reasons for the confiscation.  The normal, well run BB would not be
guilty of "aiding and abetting".  The "Pirates Cove" sleaze operations
are hereby put on notice.

Whether the confiscation will stick, the courts will determine.  I
will scream like blue blazes if a well managed (read responsible)
sysop gets stuck.  I will not waste a lot of sympathy on this case.

			Frank Webb

rh@mit-eddie.UUCP (Randy Haskins) (06/05/84)

!ncoast!bsafw states that he is in the process of starting a BBS
on his system and doesn't want it confiscated...
"... especially as a major local company depends on the system..."
I would mention that it's probably a VERY BAD idea to do this.
I hate to tell you, but a great deal of the traffic will be kids with
TRS-80's that like to crack.  Having them run on a system with
potentially sensitive stuff on it (not to mention the fact that
most people on this earth really suck when it comes to picking good
passwords) is going to cause trouble.  I would want any BBS I had to
be responsible for to be physically disconnected from anything vital.
BTW, some people have asked if I (I know, some of you out there think
I'm a fascist, don't you?) would want to be responsible for everything
coming out of my system?  Well, I do.  No, I don't read everything, but
if something inappropriate does come out of this system, I will find
the person responsible and take appropriate measures.  This is a little
easier to do when you do a real accountability-based system (like
requiring names, addresses and affiliations (and an accountable sponsor)
on paper.  Due to their anarchic nature, BBS's can't really do this.
--
Randwulf  (Randy Haskins);  Path= genrad!mit-eddie!rh

barry@ames-lm.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (06/06/84)

[*************=8>:)         (snort)]

> C'mon gang, we are forgetting one of the more important facts about
> the case.  The BB in question maintained an UNDERGROUND board, where
> this kind of posting (credit card nos, etc.) may be presumed to have
> been either welcomed, or at least tolerated.  The posting in question
> had been in the board for a month.  These two facts were probably the
> reasons for the confiscation.  The normal, well run BB would not be
> guilty of "aiding and abetting".  The "Pirates Cove" sleaze operations
> are hereby put on notice.
> 			Frank Webb

	Aren't you assuming rather a lot? You are taking a single word,
"underground", and deciding that it must mean that this BBS was engaged
in illegal activities. I'm not a sysop or a dedicated system gypsy, but
I have logged on to dozens of BBS's over the last year or so, including
some that have been characterized to me as "underground". And what did
they offer? Mostly they were boards dedicated to passing around information
on how to copy copy-protected disks. Some others were "sexually oriented",
and seemed to mostly have dumb messages with lots of dirty words.
	Need I add that the above-mentioned activities are completely
legal? Oh, I'm sure that the phone phreaks have their BBS's, too, but
I don't think we have enough information to know if the BBS in question
was that kind of operation. My impression (no hard facts) is that boards
which feature sections for the phone phreaks put restricted access on
those sections, in order to avoid the sort of thing that's happened to
Mr. Tcimpidis (sp?). The (reported) fact that a phone company employee
discovered illegal information on his board without needing any special
authorization, suggests to me that he was running a legit operation,
and was unaware of the illegal messages. I certainly have no reason to
assume otherwise; do you?
                                                Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
        Electric Avenue:              {dual,hao,menlo70,hplabs}!ames-lm!barry

msc@qubix.UUCP (Mark Callow) (06/06/84)

From Frank Webb -
>	this kind of posting (credit card nos, etc.) may be presumed to have
>	been either welcomed, or at least tolerated.
I thought France was the only country where guilt was presumed and innocence
had to be proven.

	>Whether the confiscation will stick, the courts will determine.  I
	>will scream like blue blazes if a well managed (read responsible)
	>sysop gets stuck.  I will not waste a lot of sympathy on this case.
How do you tell the difference between the "sleaze" operation and the well
managed operation?  More importantly what kind of law would you write to
distinguish the two.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@qubix.UUCP,  decwrl!qubix!msc@Berkeley.ARPA

"I'm a citizen of the Universe, and a gentleman to boot!"

wrw@hou5h.UUCP (William Wetzel) (06/08/84)

I cannot help but see an analogy with the physical origins from which CBBs
take their names, namely real bulletin boards, ya know, with pins, cork
etc.  Does this folly really mean that universities, supermarkets,
businesses, etc. that provide public bulletin boards are liable for the
consequences of the messages posted, liable for seizure of their
bulletin board????  My (non-lawyer) mind just can't fathom that
thinking.

Bill Wetzel - WRW & Co.- Little Silver, N.J.

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (06/12/84)

[]

>How do you tell the difference between the "sleaze" operation and the well
>managed operation?  More importantly what kind of law would you write to
>distinguish the two.

Simple: "sleaze" operations are run by undesirables and "poor" people.
(of course, nobody who owns a computer can be considered really poor,
but all is relative?); well managed operations are run by the wealthy and
those who have friends on the force.

No law need be written to handle this situation, the police are able
to make the distinction all by themselves.

(Really officer, sir, I'm your friend, really, don't...AAAEEEEE
Michael Ward, NCAR/SCD
UUCP: {hplabs,nbires,brl-bmd,seismo,menlo70,stcvax}!hao!ward
BELL: 303-497-1252
USPS: POB 3000, Boulder, CO  80307