[net.legal] Legal Loopholes -- exclusionary rule

mark@elsie.UUCP (07/14/84)

<>
Unfortunately, the only effective means of keeping the police from gathering
or manufacturing evidence illegally it to exclude it from the trial.
Suggestions that police should be prosecuted for their "crimes" will not
work because: (a) the police won't arrest; (b) the DA won't prosecute;
and (c) often there's no criminal statute that deals with the "crime". For
example, there's nothing illegal (usually) about obtaining an improper
search warrant, even if its done on purpose.

In any event, the Nixon/Reagan court seems determined to gut the
exclusionary rule, and in the next few years we'll probably see some true
outrages. I wonder how much damage will be done in the process.

--
Mark J. Miller
NIH/NCI/DCE/LEC

jonab@sdcrdcf.UUCP (07/16/84)

In article <1077@elsie.UUCP> mark@elsie.UUCP writes:

>Unfortunately, the only effective means of keeping the police from gathering
>or manufacturing evidence illegally it to exclude it from the trial.
>Suggestions that police should be prosecuted for their "crimes" will not
>work because: (a) the police won't arrest; (b) the DA won't prosecute;
>and (c) often there's no criminal statute that deals with the "crime". For
>example, there's nothing illegal (usually) about obtaining an improper
>search warrant, even if its done on purpose.

The original justification for the exclusionary rule, (as I understand
it), is to protect a person's freedom from "Illegal search and seizure",
guaranteed by the U. S. Constitution.  The idea was, in order to protect
this right, it must be impossible for any government agency to gain from
a violation of the right.  Thus, illegally gained evidence cannot be used
to convict a person.  The problem with the exclusionary rule is that
it has often been interpreted so liberally that criminals are allowed
to go free, even when there was no intent to deny the right of freedom
from illegal search and seizure.

The alternative to the exclusionary rule is not to make it a crime
for the police to obtain evidence illegaly, (unless they broke laws in
doing it such as breaking and entering, etc.), but to allow the
criminal to sue the police force in civil court on the grounds
of violating his civil rights.  The criminal will still go to jail when
illegal evidence is found, but what cop in his right mind will risk
being sued for $1 million because he violated someones rights?

Jon Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdccsu3}!sdcrdcf!jonab

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (07/16/84)

There's a point here that seems to be being ignored in the discussion of
recent Supreme Court decisions on the use of evidence. These decisions
are not redoing the basic Constitutional principles; they are modifying
earlier Supreme Court decisions.

"Loosening" the allowability of evidence is not taking the American legal
system back to pre-Revolutionary European monarchical standards -- it is
just undoing fairly recent "tightening" of such allowability by
other Court decisions within this very century. The legal system in this
country worked fine fifty years ago; justice was done at least as often
as it is done now, and it was the best in the world then. Things
deteriorated with an emphasis on technicalities over basic principles,
and recognition of this fact is resulting in a necessary correction,
which is merely a return to previously-existing standards.

Just because there is change within your lifetime does not mean that
this is an endless or permanent trend; these institutions can only
be evaluated with a viewpoint spanning centuries.

In other words, don't sweat it.

Will

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (07/17/84)

[]
> The original justification for the exclusionary rule, (as I understand
> it), is to protect a person's freedom from "Illegal search and seizure",
> guaranteed by the U. S. Constitution.

The justification for the exclusionary rule is not to protect "a" person's
freedom, but to protect the freedom of all of us.  The idea being that
if bustin in and rippin off whatever could be found did no good, then maybe
the police would show some restraint.  The people who are supposedly being
protected by the exclusionary rule are not the criminals (whoever that
may be - lord knows *I've* never broken any law, ever) but us good guys.

Of course in these days when innocent people are rousted by the midnight
marauders (oh, excuse us maam, wrong address - just put your thumbprint
hear, take off all your clothes and we'll have you out on bail in just
a few hours) and the guilty going free (Elisabeth Manning kills her son
and gets off because, in order to find the kid's body they had to question
her illegally), it's not working out that way.  We've got the worst of
it both ways.

One is tempted to believe that the cops don't really care whether their
actions result in a conviction, that they jsut like to kick ass.
If this is the case then the whole basis for the exclusionary rule
is invalid, and the only recourse for us good guys is the courts.

Of course there are problems there, too.  The laws being what they are,
it is very difficult to get a judgement against the police, no matter how
flagrant the violations.

What year is this?
--
Michael Ward, NCAR/SCD
UUCP: {hplabs,nbires,brl-bmd,seismo,menlo70,stcvax}!hao!sa!ward

dave@utcsrgv.UUCP (Dave Sherman) (07/17/84)

I seem to recall that it was a long discussion about "legal loopholes"
and the exclusionary rule which led to the formation of net.legal,
about 840 articles ago. So rather than say it all over again, why
don't I just dig into my files and see what's cluttering up the disk...

 From: lab@qubix.UUCP (Larry Bickford)
 Newsgroups: net.followup
 Subject: American Judicial Headache
 Date: Wed, 17-Aug-83 13:59:27 EDT

 One of the headaches of the American (can't speak for Canadian)
 judicial system is that it has turned from a search for truth into
 an adversary system. Whether the defendant is guilty or not means
 nothing any more; it now seems that if anyone on the "people's"
 side does the slightest thing wrong, the guilty go free. It's an
 attitude that's being propagated by the law schools.

 The Fourth Amendment states that the people have a right to be
 secure in their property. It does NOT state that the defendant
 shall go free if his rights are violated. Unfortunately, that has
 been the action. A better one would be to convict the guilty and
 also prosecute those who violated his rights. (I have heard this
 is the case in the UK. Would appreciate correction/information.)

 Truth, Justice, and the American Way are concepts now long-gone.
 They don't have to be, if we would get our pride out of the way.

 Larry Bickford,
 {ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax}!decwrl!qubix!lab, {ittvax,amd70}!qubix!lab

 From: dave@utcsrgv.UUCP (Dave Sherman)
 Newsgroups: net.followup
 Subject: Re: American Judicial Headache
 Date: Thu, 18-Aug-83 13:44:48 EDT

 	It's important to understand the principle involved in all the
 "let the criminal go free because his rights were violated" cases. The
 Canadian system is not as bad as the American, but the same conflict
 comes up. There's a fundamental incompatibility between the goal of
 convicting criminals and the goal of restraining the police from becoming
 too enthusiastic. Unfortunately, the only effective was to stop the police
 is to let the criminal go, and thus make the overzealousness worthless.
 	Consider the "Wray" case, for example. Wray was picked up on
 suspicion of murder, and the cops put him through a rather intensive
 "questioning session". By the end of it, he was a nervous wreck, and
 confessed to the killing. Naturally, the confession obtained under those
 circumstances was inadmissible was evidence. (The legal test is whether
 the confession was given "under fear of prejudice or hope of advantage".)
 	However, in the course of his confession Wray told the police where
 he had thrown the gun (into a river). They went and found it, and used the
 gun as evidence to convict him. The Supreme Court of Canada held by a narrow
 margin (5-4) that the gun was admissible as evidence, and the conviction
 stood.
 	"Good", I hear you cry, "the guy committed murder. He has to
 pay for it". That's what I thought too, at first. But now think about
 it. We've just told the police that they can torture suspects as much
 as they want, as long as they get some "hard" evidence out of it, haven't
 we? Is this desirable?
 	I don't have the answers. There are two conflicting interests,
 and much of the answer will depend on which one you give priority to.
 	Please understand the problem before criticizing the system.
 Personally I think the U.S. courts have gone too far over to the
 civil-rights side. But it's not an easy line to draw.

 Dave Sherman
 The Law Society of Upper Canada   (utcsrgv!lsuc!dave)
 --
  {allegra,cornell,floyd,ihnp4,linus,utzoo,uw-beaver,watmath}!utcsrgv!dave

 From dave Thu Aug 18 23:04:42 1983
 To: perelgut

 Your solution might be possible; I've thought about it myself.
 However, one problem is that punishing the cop, which itself
 would have to be a criminal procedure, would (a) not be carried
 out very enthusiastically by anybody in particular, and (b)
 would require a criminal standard of proof (beyond any
 reaonable doubt). Currently you *don't* have to prove more
 than on the balance of probabilities that the police were
 "overzealous".

 From perelgut Thu Aug 18 23:22:35 1983
 To: dave

 Simple.  All cops are guilty UNLESS they hold all interrogations in the
 interrogation room with counsel present and with the goings on being
 video-recorded.  The criminal procedure could be handled by an ombudsman
 position working closely with the offended criminal's lawyers.

 As for the standard of proof beyond reasonable doubt, it could be relaxed
 except in the recording room.  And you could seal the recorder to guarantee
 it was secure beyond reasonable doubt.  And assume guilt in the presence of
 any tampering.

 Personally, I think that, when any guilty person is freed on the basis of
 an irrelevant or barely relevant, the lawyer should have to serve the
 sentence. :-)

 Seriously, I don't approve of jails.  I'd rather see penalties requiring
 full restitution, work camps to get the money where it otherwise wouldn't
 be, and capital punishment as a deterrent in captital crimes, with no
 appeal after a guilty beyond all reasonable doubt verdict.  And I'd like
 to see the legal system revamped to reflect this.  And I'd like to meet
 Tinkerbell.  I guess these are all equally likely.

 From dave Fri Aug 19 09:46:33 1983
 To: perelgut

 Your "all cops are guilty unless...", first of all, seriously
 impairs questioning of people who may not even be suspects. And
 what crimes would you apply this system to? Murder, presumably.
 What about theft under $200 (usually shoplifting), or being found
 in a common bawdy house? Anyway, assuming that a cop is guilty
 unless proven otherwise, and combining that with criminal penalties
 against the cop, goes *totally* against our system. A lot of cops
 would quit.
 	"No appeal after a guilty beyond a reasonable doubt verdict"?
 There is currently no appeal on questions of fact anyway. The only appeal
 is on questions of law. If the judge allowed in evidence which was
 properly inadmissible, and the jury convicted on the basis of that
 evidence, you sure as hell want an appeal.

 From: mason@utcsrgv.UUCP (Dave Mason)
 Newsgroups: net.followup
 Date: Sat, 20-Aug-83 00:53:52 EDT

 	Perhaps a reasonable approach to overzealous police is to have police
 commissions (or whatever) that do something serious when personal rights are
 infringed in the process of conducting an investigation..something like firing
 all with foreknowledge, instead of 2 weeks suspension with pay during the
 investigation and 2 week suspension without pay as punishment.
 	I personally think the Canadian system seems reasonable, because few
 people have their rights seriously abused, BUT this seems to depend almost
 solely on the good intentions of the police (usually good, but there are some
 glaring examples of peoples rights being totally trampled with very little
 being done about it).  The law has recently changed due to the Charter of
 Rights and there was concern that it would make our system too much like
 the American one, but there seems to be little indication of much change so
 far (14 months).

This archive brought to you as a public service by...
--
 {allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utcsrgv!dave
or

simard@loral.UUCP (07/25/84)

[Do not write in this space]

>Unfortunately, the only effective means of keeping the police from gathering
>or manufacturing evidence illegally it to exclude it from the trial.

Gathering evidence is a very different from manufacturing it.  The
exclusionary rule is unimportant in the case of manufactured evidence.
That is called perjury (and perhaps other things, depending on
circumstances).  Therefore, to stay on track, this discussion involves
only the gathering of factual, valid evidence by possibly illegal means.

>Suggestions that police should be prosecuted for their "crimes" will not
>work because: (a) the police won't arrest; (b) the DA won't prosecute;
>and (c) often there's no criminal statute that deals with the "crime". For
>example, there's nothing illegal (usually) about obtaining an improper
>search warrant, even if its done on purpose.

c) first: if the statutes don't exist, then that's where the problem
should be addressed, not (mis)using the exclusionary rule to end run
around it.
a) and b)  I unfortunately don't have any great statistical base
handy at the moment, but my recollection of recent news items shows
quite a number of police investigations and several highly visible
trials of police officers for events in the line of duty.

>In any event, the Nixon/Reagan court seems determined to gut the
>exclusionary rule.

Lunchmeat.  For far too long, the citizens of this country have been
denied justice and equal protection under law because someone forgot
to dot an 'i' or cross a 't'.  This is only a move back to a reasonable
balance between the rights of defendants and those of victims and citizens.

--
Ray Simard
Loral Instrumentation, San Diego

wdr@security.UUCP (William D. Ricker) (08/07/84)

>>Unfortunately, the only effective means of keeping the police from gathering
>>or manufacturing evidence illegally it to exclude it from the trial.

>Gathering evidence is a very different from manufacturing it.

>>Suggestions that police should be prosecuted for their "crimes" will not
>>work because: (a) the police won't arrest; (b) the DA won't prosecute;
>>and (c) often there's no criminal statute that deals with the "crime". For
>>example, there's nothing illegal (usually) about obtaining an improper
>>search warrant, even if its done on purpose.

>c) first: if the statutes don't exist, then that's where the problem
>should be addressed, not (mis)using the exclusionary rule to end run
>around it.

Good point.

>a) and b)  I unfortunately don't have any great statistical base
>handy at the moment, but my recollection of recent news items shows
>quite a number of police investigations and several highly visible
>trials of police officers for events in the line of duty.

Yes, Several HIGHLY VISIBLE trials.  A few highly visible trials of scape-goats
caught red-handed when the media got on a politician's case do not make
society safe.  The fourth branch is the prosecutor in most such cases.
Our system of checks and balances should not come to rely on investigative
journalism as the only check--that should be the double-check, as it was
intended by our fore-fathers.  The Judiciary is the intended immediate
check against the Executive Police powers, with the Legislative as the
long-term, policy, check.

I don't beleive in Innocence Until Caught Red Handed, only until proven;
but neither do I believe in Police & Prosecutor departments free from political
pressures.  Politics calls for solving 'real' crime, not creating distrust
in the government (by arresting police, etc.).

--

  William Ricker
  wdr@mitre-bedford.ARPA					(MIL)

Opinions are my own and not necessarily anyone elses.  Likewise the "facts".