[net.misc] Bizarre place names

jerem@tekgvs.UUCP (Jere Marrs) (08/15/85)

	Yes, that`s bizarre. And then there`s:

		Monkey`s Eyebrow, Kentucky! I'm serious!

J. Marrs

Mustn't forget Soul City, Va.

How about wierd street names?  In Columbia, Md., we must have the greatest
collection on earth.  "Lighted Lantern Way"?  "Good Lion Court"?  "Open
Flower Court"?

C Wingate

woof@hpfcla.UUCP (08/19/85)

How about Humptulips, Washington?

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (08/23/85)

Careful there folks, let's not malign one of my favorite
spots in all of W. Washington.  Humptulips, the garden
crossroads of Grays Harbor County, where the forestry
service barracks lie closs by the mighty Humptulips
River, the home of mean Stealhead, fighting Silver Salmon,
and cunning Cutthrout Trout.  The turnoff spot for the
road to Big Creek.  The last chance to buy a Nehi Orange
soda and a pack of two-fers.  The only stop on the way
to Quinault you can get gas.  The hottest spot on a summer
day in the county.  One of the few places in the county
where everyone (three houses) living on the flats has
a rowboat tied to the front porch in case of flood.
The area that produced countless (maybe two) right
guards for the Hoquiam High School football team in
their heyday.
AND, where the best damn dances I ever attended were
held in the Grange Hall during my misspent youth.
Good old Humptulips.  Population variously counted
at around 20.  Where the Elk herds have the right
of way if you don't want your car destroyed.  And,
where bottom bumping in the river is an art form.
Sighh, ah to return once more to the golden summers
of youth.
T. C. Wheeler

rich@aoa.UUCP (Rich Snow) (08/23/85)

> 		Monkey`s Eyebrow, Kentucky! I'm serious!
	my favorite is Fish's Eddy, N.Y.

	Rich Snow
	...!{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!aoa!rich

rich@aoa.UUCP (Rich Snow) (08/23/85)

> How about wierd street names?
	Sommerville, MA. really has an "Electric Avenue"!

	rich snow

knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) (08/26/85)

 My favorite local place-name story is the one about two Colorado small towns,
Fertile and Climax.  A woman from the former had a fatal car accident in the
latter town.  The resulting town paper headline read, "FERTILE WOMAN DIES IN
CLIMAX."  Really.  I've got a copy of the paper.

   '`'`'`
    Ken
    '`'`'

pnv@homxa.UUCP (P.VERMA) (08/29/85)

Hell, MI

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/31/85)

> Chicago comes from an Indian word meaning "cesspool".
>
> 				Scott Anderson
> 				ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra

According to "Trivial Pursuit, Genus II" (I know, a really authoritative
source) Chicago comes from "Garlic Field".

jeq@laidbak.UUCP (Jonathan E. Quist) (09/03/85)

In article <142@graffiti.UUCP> peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:

>> Chicago comes from an Indian word meaning "cesspool".
>>
>> 				Scott Anderson
>> 				ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra
>
>According to "Trivial Pursuit, Genus II" (I know, a really authoritative
>source) Chicago comes from "Garlic Field".

Actually it's "Onion Field".  The near north side (just north of
the Loop) was a swamp before the river was reversed.
An indigenous plant (don't know what type) that was around
before the buildings went up gave of a smell like onions.

The most popular local translation was ``Stinking Onion Patch.''
(Onions?  We don't need no *stinking* *onions*!!!)

jeq

sra@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) (09/03/85)

In article <200@laidbak.UUCP> jeq@laidbak.UUCP (Jonathan E. Quist) writes:
>In article <142@graffiti.UUCP> peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>>
>>> Chicago comes from an Indian word meaning "cesspool".
>>>
>>> 				Scott Anderson
>>
>>According to "Trivial Pursuit, Genus II" (I know, a really authoritative
>>source) Chicago comes from "Garlic Field".
>
>Actually it's "Onion Field".  The near north side (just north of
>the Loop) was a swamp before the river was reversed.
>An indigenous plant (don't know what type) that was around
>before the buildings went up gave off a smell like onions.

Hence my somewhat liberal translation.  I wasn't going to let Chicago be
outdone by Wanker's Corners!

				Scott Anderson
				ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra

kds@intelca.UUCP (Ken Shoemaker) (09/03/85)

> > Chicago comes from an Indian word meaning "cesspool".
> >
> > 				Scott Anderson
> > 				ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra
>
> According to "Trivial Pursuit, Genus II" (I know, a really authoritative
> source) Chicago comes from "Garlic Field".

And here, I always thought it meant "wild onions," which really isn't that
far from "garlic field."
--
...and I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody outside of a small circle
of friends...

Ken Shoemaker, Microprocessor Design for a large, Silicon Valley firm

{pur-ee,hplabs,amd,scgvaxd,dual,qantel}!intelca!kds

---the above views are personal.  They may not represent those of the
	employer of its submitter.

douglas@cxsea.UUCP (Douglas Wells) (09/05/85)

> In article <142@graffiti.UUCP> peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >> Chicago comes from an Indian word meaning "cesspool".
> >> 				Scott Anderson
> >> 				ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra
> >According to "Trivial Pursuit, Genus II" (I know, a really authoritative
> >source) Chicago comes from "Garlic Field".
>
> Actually it's "Onion Field".  The near north side (just north of
> the Loop) was a swamp before the river was reversed.
> An indigenous plant (don't know what type) that was around
> before the buildings went up gave of a smell like onions.
>
> The most popular local translation was ``Stinking Onion Patch.''
> (Onions?  We don't need no *stinking* *onions*!!!)
>
> jeq

According to an article that I read many years ago, that plant was
the "ramp"(or "rampion" ???).  This was said to be a really smelly
plant savored by a select few illuminated connoisseurs, and that
"ramp" festivals were still held in remote pockets of Appalachia.

Douglas		{ uw-beaver fluke }!ssc-vax!cxsea!dwells!douglas

Uncle Mail:  19115 W. Valley Hwy. - Suite H105; Kent, Washington  98032
Bell Mail:   206 - 251 - 6804

"Independent Truckers - The last American Cowboys"

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (09/11/85)

The problem with posting bizarre place names is that there are just too
many too choose from!  For example, if you buy the US Geological Survey
Geographic Names Information System data base for just one state (let's
say, Colorado), and then you look only at FEATURE CLASS == ppl
(population center), that gives you 780 names to review, from which it
is easy to extract (and these are just the stranger ones)...

	393058N 1075520W Anvil Points
	392241N 1061059W Climax
	393744N 1052144W Elephant Park
	381645N 1043335W Fearnowville