[net.legal] negligent homicide for an arguement

alien@gcc-opus.ARPA (Alien Wells) (01/16/85)

A very interesting case is shaping up here in Ossipee NH.  I've waited a while
to try to get the facts before posting.  Here they are.

A Mr **** (I will call him Landlord) owns a property which he is renting.  He
has 3 tenents (I will call them Tenents) who live there.  Landlord goes to court
to get Tenents evicted (I do not know if it was for rent non-payment, or what).

Landlord wins in court, and gets the eviction notice.  Tenents prepare to move
out.  Landlord demands back rent.  Tenents refuse.  Landlord parks a tractor
in front of a shed which the Tenents own on his property so they cannot move
it, and threatens to keep it there until they pay.

Now comes the *fun* part.  Tenents get very upset because they can't get at
their shed.  Tenents and Landlord start argueing.  Landlord has a heart
attack and dies.  Landlord has a known history of heart problems.

The DA arrests Tenents and brings them to trial.  The charge, negligent
homicide (usually used for deaths caused by driving accidents).  The claim is
that Tenents knew of Landlord's heart condition when they entered into the
arguement.  Thus, they were responsible for his death.

I'd laugh myself silly if it wasn't being taken seriously by the court.  I
mean, it takes two to argue.  If Landlord was willing to argue with them, why
should they refrain 'because of his health'?

Has anyone heard about anything like this before?

					Alien

sm@cadre.UUCP (01/19/85)

Regarding the case against the tenants who were arguing with the landlord
when he had a heart attack and died (they are now charged with negligent
homicide):

That case was reported on the evening news, the other night, and the news-
caster said that there had been three other convictions for similar
complaints, in the United States. I'm sorry but I don't have any other
information.

Maybe we should pool our resources and hire a lawyer or law clerk to
advise this group?

Sean McLinden

wdr@faron.UUCP (William D. Ricker) (01/25/85)

In article <cadre.178> sm@cadre.ARPA (Sean McLinden) writes:
>Regarding the case against the tenants who were arguing with the landlord
>when he had a heart attack and died (they are now charged with negligent
>homicide):
>
>That case was reported on the evening news, the other night, and the news-
>caster said that there had been three other convictions for similar
>complaints, in the United States. I'm sorry but I don't have any other
>information.
>
>Maybe we should pool our resources and hire a lawyer or law clerk to
>advise this group?
>
>Sean McLinden

No problem.  The judge threw it out of court.  (Sources: WBZ-radio,
Boston Globe.)  I wish I'd heard WBZ's interview of the judge....

--

  William Ricker
  wdr@MITRE-Bedford.ARPA					(MIL)

Opinions are my own and not necessarily anyone elses.  Likewise the "facts".