[net.legal] NYC subway "hero"

lydgate@reed.UUCP (Chris Lydgate) (01/06/85)

I feel sad that times are such that people praise a
wounder of four as a 'hero'.  I too must admit to
ignorance about the details of the event, but I understand
that the punks just asked him for money; and that their
weapons were in their pockets, and not being brandished.

If this guy had used mace (nasty but effective stuff)
or responded on the level of violence at which he was
approached, I think I would have felt sympathy for him.
But shooting them all???? Theft shouldn't be punishable
by maiming !  This guy over-reacted; O.K., maybe he
was angry, lost control for a minute. Sure.  That
may make him less blameworthy, but it does *not*
make him a 'hero'.

This is like having your car destroyed for a parking
violation.

I think this argument also applies to Milo's T-shirt
intruders; I'm glad you thought about that one, Milo.

	Chris Lydgate

ag5@pucc-k (Henry Mensch) (01/08/85)

<<>>

	The fact that our vigilante friend shot the bozos is
nasty enough, but why was he *carrying* an *illegal* handgun?
He was (unfortunately) only asking for trouble...

Henry C. Mensch |  User Confuser  | Purdue University User Services
{ihnp4|decvax|ucbvax|purdue|uiucdcs|cbosgd|harpo}!pur-ee!pucc-i!ag5
BITNET: HCMENSCH@SUVM                   CSNET: hcmensch@syr-cis-aos
      ". . . he wasn't festive but was probably ambidextrous"

mr@hou2h.UUCP (M.RINDSBERG) (01/08/85)

>I feel sad that times are such that people praise a
>wounder of four as a 'hero'.  I too must admit to
>ignorance about the details of the event, but I understand
>that the punks just asked him for money; and that their
>weapons were in their pockets, and not being brandished.
>
>If this guy had used mace (nasty but effective stuff)
>or responded on the level of violence at which he was
>approached, I think I would have felt sympathy for him.
>But shooting them all???? Theft shouldn't be punishable
>by maiming !  This guy over-reacted; O.K., maybe he
>was angry, lost control for a minute. Sure.  That
>may make him less blameworthy, but it does *not*
>make him a 'hero'.
>
>This is like having your car destroyed for a parking
>violation.
>
>I think this argument also applies to Milo's T-shirt
>intruders; I'm glad you thought about that one, Milo.

You obviously do not know the nature of the "punks".

				Mark

gam@amdahl.UUCP (gam) (01/10/85)

> >I feel sad that times are such that people praise a
> >wounder of four as a 'hero'.  I too must admit to
> >ignorance about the details of the event, but I understand
> >that the punks just asked him for money; and that their
> >weapons were in their pockets, and not being brandished.

Gee, I'm getting confused.  Are the punks the heros (martyrs),
then?
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!gam

sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (01/10/85)

> Henry C. Mensch
> 	The fact that our vigilante friend shot the bozos is
> nasty enough, but why was he *carrying* an *illegal* handgun?
Wrong question.  Why is the unconstitutional N.Y. law making carrying handguns
illegal still on the books?
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (01/12/85)

In article <912@amdahl.UUCP> gam@amdahl.UUCP (gam) writes:

>Gee, I'm getting confused.  Are the punks the heros (martyrs),
>then?

Of course not.  The question being raised is whether their crime was great
enough to make them deserve a session in the intensive care unit (last I heard
one of them is getting worse).  This is called "appropriate punishment."
Presumably you don't cut your kids' hands off for bad table manners...
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	...!ihnp4!trwrb!desint!geoff

geb@cadre.UUCP (01/16/85)

In article <305@desint.UUCP> geoff@desint.UUCP writes:

> The question being raised is whether their crime was great
>enough to make them deserve a session in the intensive care unit (last I heard
>one of them is getting worse).  This is called "appropriate punishment."
>Presumably you don't cut your kids' hands off for bad table manners...
>--

I think some people are getting confused.  Goetz was not administering
justice---he was defending himself.  This is what he claims, this
is what I think happened.  If you try to rob someone, and are killed,
this is not part of our system of justice, it is a consequence of
your action.  Whether or not you would have received such a punishment
at the hands of the legal system is totally extraneous to the point.
Now if he was out patrolling the subway system and went "to get them"
then, this is vigilante justice.  Yes, apparently he did shoot 2 in
the back, but I still think you have to ask yourself if you would
have been calm enough to stop firing when you thought these guys
were going to slit your throat.  When you get scared, you often
can't stop your action until the threat is removed, so the real
question revolves around who made the first aggressive move, if
it was the punks, then they received the consequences of it.

abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (abeles) (01/18/85)

I make the following prediction:

Goetz will be acquitted of any crime with the exception of violating
the NY State Handgun Law.  This will be appealed to the Supreme Court where
he will win.  The Constitution guarantees the right to bear arms and it
seems to me that this is a clear case of NY State interfering with
Goetz's Constitutional rights.

Interestingly, today's radio news on the way to work included a report
of a similar incident in Chicago--a man shot two punks who tried to hold
him up with knives.  He used a gun concealed in a paper bag.  While I
feel it is wrong to punish these low-lifes too harshly (i.e., by killing
them)  it is definitely a good thing to put some fear into their pointy
little heads.

--J. Abeles

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (01/19/85)

I've been rather concerned at the haste of many to beatify Goetz
without knowing what the man actually did.  Some interesting facts
that are now coming out:

	(1) Goetz, in his videotaped confession to Concord, NH police,
	    never claimed that the famous screwdrivers (tools for
	    breaking into video game coinboxes) were brandished.
	    Instead, he said the four apporoached him for $5, and the
	    "gleam" in the eye of one of the delinquents led him to
	    believe they were having fun.  He concluded that that fun
	    was to beat him senseless. So far, so good.

	(2) After he produced the gun, the "gleam" turned into a look
	    "fear".  Natural enough.

	(3) As the delinquents attempted flight, Goetz gunned them
	    down (two were shot in the back).  He claimed that the
	    reason he stopped shooting was that he ran out of bullets.
	    He admitted he shot one of his harrassers a second time,
	    when the first bullet left him wounded but standing.

	(4) Some of his bullets of the dum-dum variety, indicating
	    that the infliction of pain was as much on his mind as
	    self-defense.

	(5) He expressed regret at not having been carrying his car
	    keys at the time, as he would have gouged out the eyes of
	    his victims as they lay on the subway floor.

I conclude Goetz was a homicidal maniac, and I'd rather be on a subway
car with the delinquents than with him.  Compare Goetz's case with
that of the anonymous Chicago man who, when confronted with an actual
threat to his life (two hoodlums armed with knives), shot one and
permitted the other to flee.  Maybe that man was a hero, but Goetz is
a nut.

						David Rubin

sm@cadre.UUCP (01/19/85)

In article <302@mhuxm.UUCP> abeles@mhuxm.UUCP writes:
>Interestingly, today's radio news on the way to work included a report
>of a similar incident in Chicago--a man shot two punks who tried to hold
>him up with knives.  He used a gun concealed in a paper bag.  While I
>feel it is wrong to punish these low-lifes too harshly (i.e., by killing
>them)  it is definitely a good thing to put some fear into their pointy
>little heads.
>
>--J. Abeles

More interestingly, (according to the evening news), the Chicago
"authorities" have decided not to pursue this man. Apparently witnesses
were able to state that he had "clearly" been the victim of an attempted
molestation.

When we think about the power that our courts have to interpret the law
we shouldn't forget how much authority the local police departments and
county prosecutor's office have in deciding which cases actually come to
trial.

Sean McLinden

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (01/21/85)

> 	(4) Some of his bullets of the dum-dum variety, indicating
> 	    that the infliction of pain was as much on his mind as
> 	    self-defense.

   While I personally feel that Goetz used much more force than was necessary
to defend himself, I can't help but wonder about statements like this.
   Bullets come in two flavors:  those which are fully jacketed, and those
which are not.  The non-fully jacketed ones are used for hunting, and expand
when they hit, which (usually) keeps the animal from running on for a few
miles and dying back in the brush somewhere, which would be a useless waste
of meat.  The fully jacketed ones are used by armies and cops, and usually
do less damage.
   When a bullet is used on a person, the press apparently checks to see which
kind was used.  If it's the common variety used for hunting, they call it a
dum-dum.  If it's the kind used by cops, they call it an 'armour piercing'
type, since the fully jacketed variety is more capable of penetration than
the other kind.
   Either way, to the average non-gun using person, it ends up sounding as
though whoever shot the bullet went to great lengths to get special killer
type bullets, and apparently the press encourages this, as it makes the
event more sensational.
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

genesis@ihu1e.UUCP (the bowling ball) (01/21/85)

In article <302@mhuxm.UUCP> abeles@mhuxm.UUCP writes:
>Interestingly, today's radio news on the way to work included a report
>of a similar incident in Chicago--a man shot two punks who tried to hold
>him up with knives.  He used a gun concealed in a paper bag.  While I
>feel it is wrong to punish these low-lifes too harshly (i.e., by killing
>them)  it is definitely a good thing to put some fear into their pointy
>little heads.
>
>--J. Abeles

This should be the facts in the Chicago case:

	1. The man was returning home from the grocery store,
	   he was carrying a bag of groceries at the time he was
	   approached by the two assailants.

	2. The man had to drop his bag of groceries to draw his gun.
	   He did not have it concealed in a bag.

	3. The man fired three shots, one of the shots hit one
	   of the assailants in the head, the other got away.

	4. Then the man had to pick up his groceries back up and
	    continue home.

The Chicago Police said that they "probably" would not press charges
against the man, if he comes forward. The one boy that he shot was
in critical condition, though.

--
	  Russ Sehnoutka  ---------  AT&T Bell Laboratories
	ihnp4!ihu1e!genesis  ------   Naperville, Illinois

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (01/24/85)

"dum-dum" is not a synonym for non-fully jacketed bullets, but rather
refers to the subset with hollow heads.

						David Rubin

jcp@brl-tgr.ARPA (Joe Pistritto <jcp>) (01/27/85)

	Technically, a 'dum-dum' bullet is one with an X cut into the
[flat] forward face of the bullet.  This is the -ONLY- thing you will
see called that in any reasonable reloading manual.  Bullets with
hollow forward sections are called 'hollow-point'.  The hollowed out
portion is almost always pentagonally shaped.  'Explosive' rounds are
made by taking a 'hollow point' round and filling the hollow with
explosive material.  (order of a gram or so).  The explosive effect
is not really all that great, it just is there to ensure expansion once
the bullet enters the body, (a problem with higher velocity bullets,
or ones with small cross sections, like .22).  'Armor Piercing' ammunition
is made with bullets that have a hardened steel penetrator forming the
front of the bullet.  They look rather conventional, (like a non-hollow
point), except that the plating is usually a different color on front.

	Traditional (single component, non-hollow point), are available
in several forms:
	Wad-cutter - where the front surface is flat, and the entire
		bullet consists of a cylinder of lead, flat on both
		ends.  Used for target practice, as it makes nice
		sharp holes in the target (other types tear the target).
	Semi-wad-cutter - like the above, except the bullet starts to
		curve in at the fron before becoming flat.  Looks like
		the traditional form, cut off about 1/3 of the way
		to the tip.
	Traditional aerodynamic shaped bullet - curves in to a point
		about a millimeter across or less.  These, and semi-WC
		are available as metal-jacketed (generally in the
		higher velocities to avoid barrel fouling with lead),
		and partially metal jacketed (just the part that touches
		the barrel, not the tip).

	Standard US military ammo for rifles is full metal jacketed,
standard aerodynamic shaped bullets.  I believe the same is true
for .45 automatic pistols.  Ammunition with hollow front sections,
and cut bullets (like dum-dums) are not allowed to be used in combat
by the Geneva Conventions (I forget which).

	The easiest way to make a dum-dum is to take a lead-only
wad-cutter or semi-wadcutter and cut a cross on the front surface.
(Not real difficult).  The idea is to score the surface so that
the four pieces will divurge when striking the body.

	From what I have read, Goetz's gun contained HOLLOW-POINT
ammunition, incorrectly termed 'dum-dum' by the press.  Good sense
on his part, actually, that is the preferred kind of ammunition if
you want to stop someone at close range.  Many (MANY!) police
departments use precisely this ammunition, for exactly this reason.
And yes, its what sits in the .357 next to the bed in my house.
If I ever have to USE that thing, I'd rather NOT have to fire
a second shot...

					-JCP-

gnome@olivee.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (02/06/85)

Something that is also overlooked when talking about
hollow-point bullets is that they tend to be chosen
by police because they expend all of their energy when
they hit their target.  I a cop uses non-hollow point
bullets in an urban environment, chances are that the
bullet will go in one side, out the other and into bystanders.

I have to agree with the comment about the press knowing of
only two kinds of bullets -Armor piercing , and Dum Dum.

Dum dee dum ...

Gary