[net.misc] The End of the World, Thursday 5ZSeptember, 1985!

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (09/02/85)

Well, the bad news is that all signs point to the arrival of the
Vogon constructor fleets this Thursday, to wit:

In Life, the Universe, and Everything, Douglas Adams forcast the
destruction of earth to occur the Thursday following a victory by
England in the test series for the Ashes against Australia in the
decade of the 1980's in England.

To-day the English look pretty much assured of a major victory
(upset) against the Australians in the last test at the Oval.  It may
already be over as I am typing this.  Furthermore, the Australians
do not return for a test series for the Ashes to England until 1990.

The actual destruction wioll taken place on the Thursday following the
Test at noon BST, 7AM on the East Coast (I will be driving to work, my
car stereo ought to be fixed by then, so I should hear the notice
clearly!).

So long folks, it looks like this is it.

PS A sofa did appear and disappear to-day at the Oval, interrupting
play.

I guess NJN won't be showing Hartnell, Troughton, & Colin Baker after
all.
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

Maybe they'll want one of your women to experiment on, perhaps
I shall take this one to them!

-who said it, what story?  (Get the reply to me by Thursday!)

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (09/04/85)

James missed a VERY obvious line. Not being one to pass up such a horrible
straight line, I am filling in this oversight for him...

He said:
In article <844@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
>So long folks, it looks like this is it.

When he should have said:

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

chuq (don't bother to comment, I'm already embarassed -- rotten tomatoes to
net.veg...)
--
Chuq Von Rospach nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA {decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!chuqui

Son, you're mixing ponderables again

dbmk1@stc.UUCP (Derek Bergin) (09/04/85)

In article <844@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
>To-day the English look pretty much assured of a major victory
>(upset) against the Australians in the last test at the Oval.

Upset ??  UPSET!!!!
Prepare to defend yourself sir !

My seconds will call on you later.

<for those short on imagination  -> ->  :-) >

>PS A sofa did appear and disappear to-day at the Oval, interrupting
>play.

Yeah - it was the Australian "batsmen".

Regards
  Derek

!seismo!mcvax!ukc!stc!dbmk1

I've heard that re-incarnation is making a come-back.

PS To anyone in OZ who might get this <raspberry> <raspberry> and see you in
'87.

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (09/05/85)

For those of you who didn't notice, the world ended 1 hour and 13
minutes ago.

We are now all living as an illusion.
--

trudel@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jonathan D.) (09/05/85)

> James missed a VERY obvious line. Not being one to pass up such a horrible
> straight line, I am filling in this oversight for him...
>
> He said:
> In article <844@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
> >So long folks, it looks like this is it.
>
> When he should have said:
>
> So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Well,I presume that James is NOT a dolphin (Well...)  I think that in
spirit of true human form, he almost got it right.  He should have said:

"So this is it, we're going to die."

That seems to be the proper response you humans give when faced with
impossible odds.  Oh, I'll never understand the whole lot of you.
--

					   Jonathan D. Trudel
				   arpa: trudel@blue.rutgers.edu.arpa

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (09/07/85)

In the mean time, I would like to note that (according to my watch,
which says it is now about 1600 Saturday)  that we seem to have all
been successfully restored from the dump tape (or whatever the mice
are using.)

Charlie
--

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)

ewan@uw-june (Ewan Tempero) (09/12/85)

Hmmmm. It occurs to me that I haven't seen any dolphins in a while.....
--
            Ewan

------------
Ewan Tempero                                      "Oh no, not again"
UUCP: ...!uw-beaver!uw-june!ewan    ARPA: ewan@washington.ARPA
Please check all nuclear arms at the door.

sed408@ihlpg.UUCP (s. dugan) (09/20/85)

Would you folks please keep this where it belongs and OUT of net.singles?

--

Sarah E. Dugan
"Thank God It's Friday."

# AT&T Bell Labs IH 1D-408                The Forest (home)               #
# Naperville-Wheaton Rd.                  1353 Crab Apple Court  Apt. 101 #
# Naperville, Illinois  60566             Naperville, Illinois  60540     #
# (312) 979 - 5545                        (312) 355 - 0445                #