[net.legal] info-law group

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (02/27/85)

From net.news.group:

> The Arpanet info-law list is being restarted.  Is there interest
> in creating an fa.info-law group?

Another possibility would be to gateway INFO-LAW and net.legal,
the same way that net.sf-lovers or net.lang.c works.  This would be
preferable to creating a new readonly group, provided the interests
of the INFO-LAW and the net.legal readers are pretty comparable.
It works pretty well with the groups I mentioned, except that the
"duplicate responses" problem is bad in sf-lovers, probably to do
with long transit times.

I'm not in a position to set up such a gateway, nor to know what INFO-LAW
readers were interested in when it was alive.  Could someone who has more
information comment on this?

Mark Brader

mp@allegra.UUCP (Mark Plotnick) (03/02/85)

While an automatic gateway would be easier on the usenet folk, the
problem is that net.legal's charter is much broader than that of
info-law@sri-csl.  Since Geoff will be screening each message sent to
the arpanet list, I don't think it's too courteous to automatically
send him all the articles from net.legal, since only 5% or 10% of them
have to do with computers and the law.  Having an fa group does not
preclude usenet readers from posting articles to the list, it just
makes it a little harder than typing the 'f' command; look at
fa.laser-lovers.
	Mark
	allegra!mp

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (03/04/85)

mp@allegra.UUCP (Mark Plotnick) writes:
> While an automatic gateway would be easier on the usenet folk, the
> problem is that net.legal's charter is much broader than that of
> info-law@sri-csl...

This makes sense, but the Arpaname is then misleading and the group
may tend to attract inappropriate postings from this side.  Is it
necessary that the fa-name coincide with the Arpaname, or could we
make it something like fa.cs-law?

Mark Brader