[net.legal] Re. Personal Defense

arndt@lymph.DEC (04/05/85)

I carry several items.

A Sippo steel whip - Made in West Germany, closed at 5 1/2", extended at 13",
                     fits handly (with a clip) into a shirt/pants pocket.

A razor blade dispensor - taped (five blades that extend up to 1/2", double
                          sided).

At times (in NH a .380 auto - yes, it's a small cal. but at close range it is
          very effective) or camping in the public domains (pot growing and
          crazie country) a .44mag.

The knowledge of how to and the will to use the above.

To my friends traveling on the Subways in NYC I suggest a warmed up chain saw.

As G. Gordon Liddy has pointed out, even a pencil properly handled can be an
effective weapon.

Hitting people with your hands - unless trained to do so - is for kids.

I also have a modest amount of Martial Arts training.  The amazing thing is
that it actually works!!!  I actually snapped a knife out of someone's hand
once.

Once I also confronted a crazie who broke through my folk's kitchen window
at night. (Of course I swelled up, turned green and split my shirt)  It was
one of those turn the corner in your own home and there's a stranger (in this
case white male) breaking through the window (he had his feet inside the house
 - this was in Newark, NJ naturally)  Anyway, he didn't have a gun - I'm still
here, eh?  I chased him off.

But especially for women and children I suggest a defense of a frame of mind
coupled with a modest amount of martial arts training to give that sense of
confidence that sheds the 'victim status' look so often sent out like a blood
sent before sharks.  Our culture portrays women and children as 'victims' of
physical violence and rarely as being able to face it.  There are signals
one sends out - body language, speech, etc. - that a 'bully' picks up on
and is attracted by.

Well, that's my two cents.

Regards,

Ken Arndt

west@utai.UUCP (Thomas L. West) (04/11/85)

Ken Arndt writes:
>I carry several items.
>
>A Sippo steel whip - Made in West Germany, closed at 5 1/2", extended at 13",
>                     fits handly (with a clip) into a shirt/pants pocket.
>A razor blade dispensor - taped (five blades that extend up to 1/2", double
>                          sided).
>At times (in NH a .380 auto - yes, it's a small cal. but at close range it is
>          very effective) or camping in the public domains (pot growing and
>          crazie country) a .44mag.
>The knowledge of how to and the will to use the above.

   GOOD GRIEF!  You sound like you are in a war situation...

>I actually snapped a knife out of someone's hand once.
>
>Once I also confronted a crazie who broke through my folk's kitchen window
>at night.

  Well if this sort of thing is normal in the USA, then I apologize.  You
*ARE* at war, and it seems to be a kill or be killed situation.  My only
question is that since many Americans are wealthy enought to move, why
don't they?  (I'm certain Northern Ireland would seem like a picnic compared
to Main Street USA...)	Then again, many who could move still live in Beruit,
so I suppose there is some psychological reason.

  Tom West
ihnp4!utcsri!west

ignatz@aicchi.UUCP (Ihnat) (04/12/85)

Oh, Lord.  Here it goes again; and again.  This discussion
has been flogged before...let's see...can we summarize some
of the arguments we've seen before, so they don't get hauled
out in 7-level-deep Re:Re:Re: message chains for the next
10 weeks?
----------------------------------
----------------------------------

Yes, someone with personal defense weapons, who is trained and
knows how to use them, and has the will, and the time, can off the
baddie and thereby make his/her personal space safe.

vs.

Most people don't have the skill or training to carry anything more
dangerous than a nail clipper; and of those who do, many have never
had to exercise those skills on a moment's notice in a hazard situation,
so they're not going to be effective, and probably dangerous to all and
sundry.
-------------------
I'm skilled, trained, and know that I'd be able to react properly

vs.

You say that; I don't know that.  You can't just make exceptions to
the law on your own.
--------------
Nobody can tell me not to defend myself.  I'm going to carry self-defense
weapons; where are the police when you need them?

vs.

It's against the law; if you don't like the police protection where you
live, then make the police get more efficient, and give them funding for
more police if they need it.
--------------
You would use deadly force just to keep a wallet or keep your house from
being burglarized?  How can you consider a human's life less important
than your Cuisinart or your Amoco card?

vs.

In the first case, that's not all you can lose--you're obviously not a
woman. (Usually posted by a man).  Secondly, it's not the material property,
it's the concept of individual safety and violation thereof.  They may
only take my wallet--or they may take my life.  If they know that they
stand a good chance of encountering deadly force, they won't try it.
----------------------------------
----------------------------------

I'm sure I missed several of the arguments.  The conclusion?  There never
was one; I *never* saw anyone posting on this argument change anyone else's
mind, at least, not that they posted to the net.  My opinion?  I'm crazy.
If anyone jumps me, I go psychotic immediately, and scare the hell out
of them.

Can we go on now?
--
	Dave Ihnat
	Analysts International Corporation

phl@drusd.UUCP (LavettePH) (04/13/85)

In a related matter, the Colorado legislature has been working on a bill
that would give the home-owner the statutory right to presume his or her
life is threatened by *any* uninvited intruder.  In effect, this law will
open the season on burglers and the other vermin that have heretofor been
protected by what is laughingly referred to as the criminal justice system.
The bill is expected to pass with sufficient votes to overide a veto.

The strongest opposition has come from the trial lawyers (both defense and
prosecution) who see an enormous loss of income and jobs when they can no
longer re-cycle this scum through the justice system every few years.  The
potential loss of profits to the legal industry is perceived to be enormous.

The Division of Wildlife has yet to establish how much bounty will be paid
for each pair of ears.     |-)

- Phil

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (mike upmalis) (04/16/85)

In article <1289@drusd.UUCP> phl@drusd.UUCP (LavettePH) writes:

>In a related matter, the Colorado legislature has been working on a bill
>that would give the home-owner the statutory right to presume his or her
>life is threatened by *any* uninvited intruder.  In effect, this law will
>open the season on burglers and the other vermin that have heretofor been
>protected by what is laughingly referred to as the criminal justice system.
>The bill is expected to pass with sufficient votes to overide a veto.

When you're not home, your gun will provide a lovely amount of protection.
If this is your sole arguement for a rifle in the home, then I question
the underlying logic.
Most burglers work 9 to 5 nowadays, while nobody is home.
A neighbourhood watch program coupled with some home securtity (dead bolts,
Project Identification Stickers, timers on radios and lights, provide the
best form of security.
A siege mentality does little to protect rather than punish.  Having a gun
to blow away the intruder may make great head lines, but is that the sole
purpose.
I don't question your right to have guns, I personally think they are stupid,
however with proper respect there is little danger to them, look at Switzerland
as a prime example.
Most burglers don't bother with weapons from what I have read (consequences
of being armed are worse when caught)..

Buy a dog......much more user friendly than a gun....
--
~~
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>

awinterb@udenva.UUCP (Art Winterbauer) (04/18/85)

In article <> phl@drusd.UUCP (LavettePH) writes:

>In a related matter, the Colorado legislature has been working on a bill
>that would give the home-owner the statutory right to presume his or her
>life is threatened by *any* uninvited intruder.  In effect, this law will
>open the season on burglers and the other vermin that have heretofor been
>protected by what is laughingly referred to as the criminal justice system.
>The bill is expected to pass with sufficient votes to overide a veto.
>
>The strongest opposition has come from the trial lawyers (both defense and
>prosecution) who see an enormous loss of income and jobs when they can no
>longer re-cycle this scum through the justice system every few years.  The
>potential loss of profits to the legal industry is perceived to be enormous.
>
>The Division of Wildlife has yet to establish how much bounty will be paid
>for each pair of ears.     |-)
>
>- Phil

Phil,

The bill should become law by, say, June.  Why don't you come over to my
house and help me to celebrate the 4th?  Just knock on the door and come
on in.  We'll have plenty of fireworks.

Art