[net.legal] Personal Defense

trio@idis.UUCP (04/03/85)

This should be rather interesting.

After an incident with some punks, er, troubled youth last week,  I became
curious as to what types of items people carry for personal defense.  I
have decided that it may be time to change my strategy.

My question:  what do YOU carry for personal defense?

I'll start by revealing that I carry a can of tear-gas and a knife
(swiss-army, not a dagger) for protection.  I would prefer a handgun,
but you know that graduate students aren't usually rich (I'm saving
up for my personal computer).

So, what do you have for personal defense (on the street)?

Thanks,

--
-----     -----     -----     -----     -----     -----     -----     -----
Nick Trio                         -If you don't like the answer,

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (04/04/85)

Well, where I live the streets are kept clean by the local gangs.  I just pay
money to Doug, who comes by every week.  I've even been moving up in their
organization, to the point where I've been allowed to drive the tank when
we take people out for a scrape when they don't pay.

Alas, Dinsy, the leader of the gang, is back in jail for accidentally
destroying Luton with a tactical nuclear weapon!

9234dwz@houxf.UUCP (04/04/85)

Nick,
     The best form of self defense on the streets is a glazed
look in the eye that might indicate that you're deranged ;-)

If you were serious I should be very very careful about the
legality of some weapons.
A very effective "instant weapon" is a copy of your local
newspaper . After folding it in half 4 or 5 times it no longer
feels soft  like a newspaper but takes on the form of a solid
piece of wood.

"Glazed" eyes are more fun though !

    Dave Peak
    @  !hotel!dxp

"I am the God of Hellfire, and I bring you fire" - CWoA Brown

45223wc@ahuta.UUCP (w.cambre) (04/05/85)

REFERENCES:  <350@idis.UUCP>, <497@abnji.UUCP>

The only 'weapon' I ever carry is my car keys.  When I go into a
public parking lot I carry them in my hand.
I figure a quick swipe across the face of an assailant would be
enough to let me get away.  (I can run pretty fast!)
I don't like the idea of everyone walking around with guns and
knives on them.  The probability of getting seriously injured
in public increases each time another person 'ARMS' themself.

 - Bill Cambre   ATTISL   ahuta!45223wc   (201) 834-3788

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Dr. Emmanuel Wu) (04/05/85)

> Well, where I live the streets are kept clean by the local gangs.  I just pay
> money to Doug, who comes by every week.  I've even been moving up in their
> organization, to the point where I've been allowed to drive the tank when
> we take people out for a scrape when they don't pay.
>
> Alas, Dinsy, the leader of the gang, is back in jail for accidentally
> destroying Luton with a tactical nuclear weapon!

Uh, excuse me, I've got a message from Dinsdale.  He likes the net very much.
And he even posts to it occasionally using Rich Rosen's login.  But he
thinks the, uh, humorous impact of using his name might being wearing a
bit thin, what with 'im bein' mistaken fer 'is brother Doug in another
newsgroup and all.

You misunderstand!  'E don't want to DEBATE about it...
--
Meet the new wave, same as the old wave...
      				Rich Rosen     ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

brooks@lll-crg.ARPA (Eugene D. Brooks III) (04/05/85)

> I'll start by revealing that I carry a can of tear-gas and a knife
> (swiss-army, not a dagger) for protection.  I would prefer a handgun,
> but you know that graduate students aren't usually rich (I'm saving
> up for my personal computer).

I suppose you could throw the screen at any troubled youth who happen to
break in to your residence while you are computing.

trio@idis.UUCP (04/06/85)

Also, in article <865@houxf.UUCP> 9234dwz@houxf.UUCP (Dave Peak) writes:

>A very effective "instant weapon" is a copy of your local
>newspaper . After folding it in half 4 or 5 times it no longer
>feels soft  like a newspaper but takes on the form of a solid
>piece of wood.

I have found that impromptu weapons are usually only sensible as a last
resort (re: you have nothing else available).  While car keys may be alright
in an emergency, remember that most assailants will protect their eyes.
The newspaper seems better for striking and abdominal jabs, but consider
what the criminal(s) may be carrying (chains, knives, etc.) and the fact
they probably know how to use their "tools" most efficiently.

I still think that a firearm is the best way to go, as long as the person
does so legally and knows how to use it.  It is not only intimidating, but
the only sensible way for handling multiple assailants.  This is only in
situations of self-defense when you feel your life is threatened.  I am
not condoning vigalantism.

By the way, who has the right to tell me that I can or cannot defend myself
under circumstances of possible loss of life or potential serious injury from
one of these punks?

Tactical Nuclear Devices are out of the question; how do you keep from
injuring an innocent bystander?  :-) :-)

--
-----     -----     -----     -----     -----     -----     -----     -----

brooks@lll-crg.ARPA (Eugene D. Brooks III) (04/06/85)

> The only 'weapon' I ever carry is my car keys.  When I go into a
> public parking lot I carry them in my hand.
> I figure a quick swipe across the face of an assailant would be
> enough to let me get away.  (I can run pretty fast!)
> I don't like the idea of everyone walking around with guns and
> knives on them.  The probability of getting seriously injured
> in public increases each time another person 'ARMS' themself.
>
>  - Bill Cambre   ATTISL   ahuta!45223wc   (201) 834-3788

I agree that the probability of good citizens getting hurt accidentally
goes up by epsilon each time a good citizen carries a weapon.  You are
missing an important factor that offsets this negative.  A good citizen
carrying a weapon is in a position to help someone else being attacked.
The probability of a well trained individual helping another is far greater
than hurting someone by accident.

Scratch a mugger with car keys!  You must be joking.  I suggest that you
avoid getting the mugger pissed and just run.  Your chances will be better.

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (04/06/85)

> Nick,
>      The best form of self defense on the streets is a glazed
> look in the eye that might indicate that you're deranged ;-)
>
> If you were serious I should be very very careful about the
> legality of some weapons.

	Readers carrying knives now or planning to in the future should
keep in mind that any folding knife with a blade longer than 4 inches and
any spring-loaded knife (ie. your favorite neighborhood switch) is illegal
in every state in the union and means a heavy fine if you are caught. (So
don't get caught ?)
--

jcpatilla

"'Get stuffed !', the Harlequin replied ..."

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (04/06/85)

>So, what do you have for personal defense (on the street)?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Nick Trio                         -If you don't like the answer,
>Grad Student - Sociology            don't ask the question-
>U. of Pittsburgh

A home in Canada is quite sufficient.
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

zmk04@udenva.UUCP (zmk04) (04/07/85)

> Well, where I live the streets are kept clean by the local gangs.  I just pay
> money to Doug, who comes by every week.  I've even been moving up in their
> organization, to the point where I've been allowed to drive the tank when
> we take people out for a scrape when they don't pay.
>
> Alas, Dinsy, the leader of the gang, is back in jail for accidentally
> destroying Luton with a tactical nuclear weapon!

*** REPLACE THIS MESS WITH YOUR LINEAGE ***
Was that the "other other operation?"  Also, would that be the same Doug and
Dinsy who nailed my head to a coffee table last month?

--Cardinal Biggles, @ the Spanish Inquisition (Among our weaponry ARE such
diverse elements AS:  fear, surprise, a fanatical devotion to the Pope...)

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (04/08/85)

Martin,
3 people have been murdered within 2 blocks of my home since January.
Guess again.

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

shindman@utcs.UUCP (Paul Shindman) (04/08/85)

For my personal defense, I live in Canada.

ndiamond@watdaisy.UUCP (Norman Diamond) (04/09/85)

> I'll start by revealing that I carry a can of tear-gas and a knife
> (swiss-army, not a dagger) for protection.

I carry a Swiss army knife too, but for more mundane uses.  If my life
depended on skill in using it defensively, I'd be dead.

--

   Norman Diamond

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra}!watmath!watdaisy!ndiamond
CSNET: ndiamond%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  ndiamond%watdaisy%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

"Opinions are those of the keyboard, and do not reflect on me or higher-ups."

mjc@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Monica Cellio) (04/09/85)

From: jcp@osiris (Jody Patilla)
>	Readers carrying knives now or planning to in the future should
>keep in mind that any folding knife with a blade longer than 4 inches and
>any spring-loaded knife (ie. your favorite neighborhood switch) is illegal
>in every state in the union and means a heavy fine if you are caught. (So
>don't get caught ?)

Anyone know what is legal in non-folding knives (i.e. daggers)?

							-Dragon
--
UUCP: ...ucbvax!dual!lll-crg!dragon
ARPA: monica.cellio@cmu-cs-cad or dragon@lll-crg

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (04/09/85)

> Anyone know what is legal in non-folding knives (i.e. daggers)?
>
> 							-Dragon
> --
> UUCP: ...ucbvax!dual!lll-crg!dragon
> ARPA: monica.cellio@cmu-cs-cad or dragon@lll-crg

	The laws vary from state to state and they are not necessarily
what you would consider rational. Larger knives, like hunting knives
or bowie knives, are legal if carried in a sheath on the belt, but
illegal if concealed in a jacket pocket. A butterfly knife with a locking
handle is illegal if concealed but may be carried in a visible belt-pouch,
but the same knife with the handle lock removed is legal to carry concealed,
ie. in your pocket or whatever. Best to check with the local John Law if
you are really concerned.
	The problem with carrying an illegal concealed knife is that once
you use it, you then have to explain it ! You can end up in more trouble
than the bastard who jumped you in the first place.

--

west@utai.UUCP (Thomas L. West) (04/11/85)

Eugene D. Brooks III writes:
>I agree that the probability of good citizens getting hurt accidentally
>goes up by epsilon each time a good citizen carries a weapon.  You are
>missing an important factor that offsets this negative.  A good citizen
>carrying a weapon is in a position to help someone else being attacked.
>The probability of a well trained individual helping another is far greater
>than hurting someone by accident.

   Hold it right there.  Do you have *any* facts, figures, articles or
*anything* to back this up.  My strong guess is that you are 180 degrees
out, and that far more people are injured by "good citizens" than are
"saved" by other "good citizens" coming to their rescue.  All I ask for
is *one* figure.  (No, I don't know how you'd go about compiling it!)
However, a look at the papers in cities small enough to still be reporting
deaths should give an indication.  How many criminals were shot compared
to how many innocents (shot by innocents).
  Of course, if you *are* correct, this implies that without guns all over
the place, the US crime rate would be even *higher*.  I am not sure,
but I have a feeling this *can't* be true.  I mean, the US is not at
war, is it?

   Tom West
ihnp4!utcsri!west

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (04/11/85)

> Martin,
> 3 people have been murdered within 2 blocks of my home since January.
> Guess again.
>
> Laura Creighton
> utzoo!laura

Laura, Martin is right!  You have had 3 murders in your city of 2,000,000
in three months.  We had 5 in the first ten DAYS of this year in our city
of <300,000.  And we have one, on average, EVERY WEEK.  You Canadians don't
know how lucky you are [:-/-)].

phoenix@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (04/12/85)

In article <419@utai.UUCP> west@utai.UUCP (Thomas L. West) writes:
>Eugene D. Brooks III writes:
>>I agree that the probability of good citizens getting hurt accidentally
>>goes up by epsilon each time a good citizen carries a weapon.  You are
>>missing an important factor that offsets this negative.  A good citizen
>>carrying a weapon is in a position to help someone else being attacked.
>>The probability of a well trained individual helping another is far greater
>>than hurting someone by accident.
>
>   Hold it right there.  Do you have *any* facts, figures, articles or
>*anything* to back this up.  My strong guess is that you are 180 degrees
>out, and that far more people are injured by "good citizens" than are
>"saved" by other "good citizens" coming to their rescue.  All I ask for
>is *one* figure.  (No, I don't know how you'd go about compiling it!)
>However, a look at the papers in cities small enough to still be reporting
>deaths should give an indication.  How many criminals were shot compared
>to how many innocents (shot by innocents).
>  Of course, if you *are* correct, this implies that without guns all over
>the place, the US crime rate would be even *higher*.  I am not sure,
>but I have a feeling this *can't* be true.  I mean, the US is not at
>war, is it?
>
>   Tom West
>ihnp4!utcsri!west

Tom is right.  The last figures I read (*Warning*, almost a year dated) showed
that private *handguns*, bought explicitly for protection, were fired 6 out
of 7 times at family or friends, in anger or on accident - not at assailants
for *protection*.  Pretty startling, huh?  The figure does not, of course,
include rifles and other guns which are not as *commenly* used against loved
ones.  I am searching for the source, so I will get back to you, but I remember
it as being rather reliable....

                                         (Crises? .....What Crises?)

                                          John
                                          phoenix@ucbtopaz

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (04/14/85)

We have more murders than that -- I don't know how many. Just
three within 2 blocks of where I live.

Laura

mathnews2@watdcsu.UUCP (mathNOOS [editors]) (04/15/85)

In article <350@idis.UUCP> trio@idis.UUCP writes:
>After an incident with some punks, er, troubled youth last week,  I became
>curious as to what types of items people carry for personal defense.  I
>have decided that it may be time to change my strategy.
>
>My question:  what do YOU carry for personal defense?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Nick Trio                         -If you don't like the answer,
>Grad Student - Sociology            don't ask the question-
>U. of Pittsburgh
> ...decvax!mcnc!idis!trio

(Well, you asked for it:)

I grew up about a kilometre (three-quarters of a mile) down the road
from what was supposed to be Canada's highest security penitentiary.
In a fifty mile radius, twenty per cent of Canada's prisons can be
found.  What do I CARRY for personal defense?

Nothing.

Well, that's not quite right, but I don't think that you were
interested in a contraceptive.  I know that you are saying that all of
these people were behind the prison walls, but when the local
television station spends five to ten minutes each night (and I do
mean EACH night; I can only remember two or three nights over ten
years when they didn't (which was in itself a major news story!))
saying who walked away from where, who was stabbed where, who had
broken out from where, who was being held hostage where (I know a few
people who have been held hostage in some institute, one of them six
times now!) things aren't quite as safe as they seem, are they?  I've
seen many inmates being chased down the street in my hometown of one
thousand.  Two or three times a year, roadblocks are erected to try
and capture someone who got out who was quite dangerous.  It has
become part of the normal way of life for me.

That doesn't mean that I don't have a gun.  My father gave me his old
shotgun when I was eight.  I'm reasonably accurate with it, and I will
use it to defend my home, but I don't carry it with me everywhere I
go (you aren't really allowed to here in Canada, though).

I am just glad that I am not somewhere like the Big Apple (or the Big
Commodore, or the Big Atari, or ...), where it is just as safe on the
street as it is inside the penitentiary!

BTW, I have had to deal with the inmates inside the "super-"maximum
security penitentiary down the road from home.  Even more important,
my father, who is a volunteer fireman, got a call one day at the
penitentiary.  When the trucks got there, there wasn't a fire; the
guards were afraid the inmates were going to riot and wanted someone
to turn the hoses on them (the inmates).  There are many guards that
just happen to be on the fire department, and so they looked after the
matter.

				-- Dirty Scooter!

A Smith and Wesson beats five aces any day!

--
mathNEWS--the math student newspaper at the University of Waterloo

{allegra|clyde|linus|ihnp4|decvax}!watmath!watdcsu!mathnews2          UUCP
mathnews2%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet                                      CSNET
mathnews2@watdcsu                                                     NETNORTH

regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) (04/16/85)

>Jeff, you've failed to illustrate how the threat of deadly force, in
>any *general* way, is a civilizing influence.
>                -Ed Hall

Ed, he may have neglected to do lots of things, but let me just pick on
this one, o.k.?  There are hundreds of examples that can be chosen on
either side of the argument -- the expansion of the west during any
period you care to name before, say, 1900 -- was the threat of deadly
force (practiced by the marshalls) a civilizing influence, or was the
threat of deadly force (practiced by the lawless gunslingers) a barbarous
force?  Our whole western history (and probably eastern, too, but I don't
know anything about eastern history) is a study in threats of force. Have
we become more civilized because of our past or in spite of it?

You can't take any example and hold it up as empirical evidence.  There is
no other civilization that is exactly the same as the U.S. EXCEPT for the
arms issues that would serve as a "control" group.  (I just LOVE people who
use Japan as some sort of parallel.)

Somehow, _whether_ the citizens of a country have a right to bear arms
doesn't seem to have a whole lot to do with civilization.  Better questions
might be "what do they do with that right?" "how do they deal with
situations that historically have been dealt with with arms?" "what made
them retain or reject that right?" "are they still around?" "would I like
to live there?" "do I agree with them?"

jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) (04/17/85)

In article <419@utai.UUCP> west@utai.UUCP (Thomas L. West) writes:

>Eugene D. Brooks III writes:
>>I agree that the probability of good citizens getting hurt accidentally
>>goes up by epsilon each time a good citizen carries a weapon.  You are
>>missing an important factor that offsets this negative.  A good citizen
>>carrying a weapon is in a position to help someone else being attacked.
>>The probability of a well trained individual helping another is far greater
>>than hurting someone by accident.
>
>   Hold it right there.  Do you have *any* facts, figures, articles or
>*anything* to back this up.  My strong guess is that you are 180 degrees
>out, and that far more people are injured by "good citizens" than are
>"saved" by other "good citizens" coming to their rescue.  All I ask for
>
>   Tom West
>ihnp4!utcsri!west

My  own feeling is that weapons, whatever they may be (including martial
arts), are dangerous not only to other local citizens, but even to one's
self  if one is UNTRAINED in using them.  My personal experience is that
most people ARE  pretty  inexperienced  with  the  weapons  they  carry.
*Especially* guns.

-------
				    Joseph Arceneaux

				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

jhull@spp2.UUCP (Jeff Hull) (04/17/85)

To summarize, I believe that personal responsibility for every element
of my life is a pre-requisite for a truly civilized society.  This
includes being responsible for my own defense, should the need arise.
Civic duty requires that I be willing & able to assist others to defend
themselves should the need arise.  (Originally, I put this summary at
the end of the article.  Then I realized that Ed's article was so far
from being a response to mine, that my point was in danger of being
lost in all the rebuttal.)

In Ed's

wjr@utcs.UUCP (William Rucklidge) (04/18/85)

In article <767@ccice5.UUCP> rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) writes:
> > Martin,
> > 3 people have been murdered within 2 blocks of my home since January.
> > Guess again.
> >
> > Laura Creighton
> > utzoo!laura
>
> Laura, Martin is right!  You have had 3 murders in your city of 2,000,000
> in three months.  We had 5 in the first ten DAYS of this year in our city
> of <300,000.  And we have one, on average, EVERY WEEK.  You Canadians don't
> know how lucky you are [:-/-)].

Toronto averages about one murder a week. However, this is still about
1/6th as many per capita as in your city... there are areas of Toronto which
I am not keen on walking through late at night, but in general I feel quite
safe here (and I live very close to downtown...).

--
William Rucklidge	University of Toronto Computing Services
{decvax,ihnp4,utcsrgv,{allegra,linus}!utzoo}!utcs!wjr

gnome@olivee.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (04/18/85)

> > Martin,
> > 3 people have been murdered within 2 blocks of my home since January.
> > Guess again.
> >
> > Laura Creighton
> > utzoo!laura
>
> Laura, Martin is right!  You have had 3 murders in your city of 2,000,000
> in three months.  We had 5 in the first ten DAYS of this year in our city
> of <300,000.  And we have one, on average, EVERY WEEK.  You Canadians don't
> know how lucky you are [:-/-)].

Boy, this guy reads SO carefully!   And the things you can do with stats!

... unless, of course, he is joking...  (what is a [:-/-)] anyway?!?)

fbp@cybvax0.UUCP (Rick Peralta) (04/19/85)

In article <430@usl.UUCP> jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) writes:
>My  own feeling is that weapons, whatever they may be (including martial
>arts), are dangerous not only to other local citizens, but even to one's
>self  if one is UNTRAINED in using them ...

In the hands of an incompetent a blender can be dangerous.
Does that mean we should ban blenders ?
Impose outrageous penalties for their misuse ?

Rick

...!cybvax0!fbp

"A likely story.  I don't believe a word of it."

br@duke.UUCP (Balu Raman) (04/20/85)

In article <478@cybvax0.UUCP> fbp@cybvax0.UUCP (Rick Peralta) writes:
>In article <430@usl.UUCP> jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) writes:
>>My  own feeling is that weapons, whatever they may be (including martial
>>arts), are dangerous not only to other local citizens, but even to one's
>>self  if one is UNTRAINED in using them ...
>
>In the hands of an incompetent a blender can be dangerous.
>Does that mean we should ban blenders ?
>Impose outrageous penalties for their misuse ?
>

>Rick

I have seen enough of such convoluted argument. Surely a blender's purpose
is not to blend humans. I haven't yet seen or heard an incompetent kill someone
while handling a blender. I only wish you can say the same thing for weapons,
whose sole purpose is to destroy something or somebody.
Balu

brooks@lll-crg.ARPA (Eugene D. Brooks III) (04/22/85)

> In article <419@utai.UUCP> west@utai.UUCP (Thomas L. West) writes:
>
> >Eugene D. Brooks III writes:
> >>I agree that the probability of good citizens getting hurt accidentally
> >>goes up by epsilon each time a good citizen carries a weapon.  You are
> >>missing an important factor that offsets this negative.  A good citizen
> >>carrying a weapon is in a position to help someone else being attacked.
> >>The probability of a well trained individual helping another is far greater
> >>than hurting someone by accident.
> >
> >   Hold it right there.  Do you have *any* facts, figures, articles or
> >*anything* to back this up.  My strong guess is that you are 180 degrees
> >out, and that far more people are injured by "good citizens" than are
> >"saved" by other "good citizens" coming to their rescue.  All I ask for
> >
> >   Tom West
> >ihnp4!utcsri!west
>
> My  own feeling is that weapons, whatever they may be (including martial
> arts), are dangerous not only to other local citizens, but even to one's
> self  if one is UNTRAINED in using them.  My personal experience is that
> most people ARE  pretty  inexperienced  with  the  weapons  they  carry.
> *Especially* guns.

I have no data on good citizens rescuing others but there is data on the number
of criminals that are justifibly killed during the the commision of a crime,
such as armed robbery, breaking into a home at night etc.  The ratio is
something like 3 times as many are killed by armed citizens as by police.
I can hunt down the exact figures and the nature of the survey if desired.

It seems that the policeman is not waiting in your home at night for the
criminal to break in.  The armed robbers also do not bother to hold up a
uniformed officer.  There is some truth to the adage "There is never a policeman
around when you need one."   Society can not afford to put a policeman on every
street corner.  The police are an after the fact solution to the crime problem.
They arrest the culprit AFTER he has done his deed.  For the armed robber who
likes to kill/rape his victims an after the fact solution to the problem is a
little too late for the victim.  The only cost effective solution to the problem
is for citizens to have weapons that are needed to ensure their security.

I strongly agree with the point made above concerning the level of training
needed by a citizen carrying a pistol.  Why not make the training required
as a condition of having a concealed weapons permit?  A permit holder could be
required to take periodic training (perhaps every six months or year) which is
organized and sponsored by the police.  You can even have the permit holder
foot the cost of this.  I would certainly pay the cost of training in return
for the right to carry a concealed weapon to ensure the protection of myself
and my family.

west@utcsri.UUCP (Thomas L. West) (04/22/85)

Rick Peralta writes:
>In the hands of an incompetent a blender can be dangerous.
>Does that mean we should ban blenders ?
>Impose outrageous penalties for their misuse ?

  Don't be stupid.  People who are incompetent with blenders don't
kill innocents.  I would not be in the least suprised to find that
more people are killed in family disputes with guns/accidents with
guns/heated arguments with guns than are killed by criminals.  THAT
is what I find so pathetic.  In the rush to protect yourselves from
criminals, you are killing far more of the innocents than would have died
if you had left well enough alone.  But then Truth, Justice and
Large-Calibre Handguns has long been the American Way.

   How long would it take to see the disappearance of the handgun from
criminal's hands if handguns were totally outlawed today.  That it would
be illegal to import, sell or own a handgun or handgun ammunition.  My guess
is that the we'd see a dramatic decrease in one year, and none in five.
Handguns, especially in criminals hands don't last too long, and deprived of
the usual source (some good citizen's home...), and NO alternatives, only
criminals far and few between would have them.
   Gee, it would mean that the only source for Canadian criminals getting
handguns would dry up as well.  Wow! Wouldn't that be nice?

  What is really depressing is that a lot of people are dying so that a
few citizens who are hand-gun crazy can tote their's around.  I don't
particularily understand a country where a minority can condemn many thousands
to death and injury.
   But hey, it's *your* country.  I only get mad 'cause we get the tail
end.  i.e. Canadians die because of the stupid US policy.  Maybe we
should sue.  Who knows, in the American courts of today, it might win! :-)
(Actually I lie.  I get mad because there are rational types getting knocked
 off in the US as well.  Why must they die for others stupidity?)

  Tom West                          "Some men think..., and some don't"
                                                -A. Regard
 { allegra cornell decvax ihnp4 linus utzoo }!utcsri!west

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (04/22/85)

is the assumption that the family of someone who kills family with a
handgun is innocent a good one?  If you look at the statistics of
wife beating you may conclude otherwise.

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (04/23/85)

In article <1043@utcsri.UUCP> west@utcsri.UUCP (Thomas L. West) writes:
>   How long would it take to see the disappearance of the handgun from
>criminal's hands if handguns were totally outlawed today.  That it would
>be illegal to import, sell or own a handgun or handgun ammunition.  My guess
>is that the we'd see a dramatic decrease in one year, and none in five.

WISHFUL THINKING! It has been illegal to import, sell, or own marijuana
for a lot longer than 5 years, yet there's always plenty around.  There
is no way to completely seal off the borders of a country that isn't
prohibitively expensive, like, say, an electric fence, which would have
to be several miles high to stop airplanes.

--
	David Canzi

Man: An animal [whose]... chief occupation is the extermination of
other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such
insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth and Canada.
	Ambrose Bierce

jordan@greipa.UUCP (Jordan K. Hubbard) (04/23/85)

In article <> jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) writes:

>My  own feeling is that weapons, whatever they may be (including martial
>arts), are dangerous not only to other local citizens, but even to one's
>self  if one is UNTRAINED in using them.  My personal experience is that
>most people ARE  pretty  inexperienced  with  the  weapons  they  carry.
>*Especially* guns.
>
>-------
>				    Joseph Arceneaux
>
>				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

Hear hear!

Lets face it, guns have been around a long time and will probably be
here to stay a little longer (until we come up with something that kills
more efficiently). Do we rant and rave? Do we hide our heads in the sand
and hope that they will "go away"? I think not. I think the most salient
point to Joseph's response is that guns are not so much the danger as
the people using them. I don't have any of those magic statistics handy,
but I'd bet money on the fact that less people are killed with guns
(accidently or deliberately) in the midwestern states than the east
or west coast (and I'd also bet that the ratio of guns to population is
at least twice as high in the midwest). When I lived in Colorado as a young
boy I had gun safety hammered into my head nine ways to tuesday (I lived
in a very rural area). Woe betide the kid whose weapon accidently discharged!
I never heard of any incidents, but I'm sure the kid would have been
excommunicated.

Anyway, what I'm trying to point out in my usual windy
way is that the only REAL way to handle the firearms problem is to
increase public awareness, rather than making such an awareness harder
and harder to obtain. Many people even mildly fond of guns have usually
learned not to discuss them in the face of increasingly hostile/fearful
reactions. There are many people out there that could teach practical
and safe usage of firearms to the public, but where are they? Usually
in small cliques of gun lovers & survivalist types, only further enhancing
the mistrust (I read "Solder of Fortune", you do? Auuuuugghhh! Get away
from me!! Don't hurt me!). If we could only drop to T.V. image (which
depends on guns to liven things up to an almost sickening degree) and
get serious about firearms and their usage, I'm sure people would feel
safer, not the other way around. Who knows? We may ending up HAVING
to teach children the real facts about guns to dispel all the crap
they've absorbed about them on T.V. And using the "Don't EVER touch one
of these! They're dangerous!" approach won't be the right way. The forbidden
fruit principle applys, especially when T.V. has made them so facinating.

Let's de-mystify the subject, huh? Knowledge and a sober head beats
four aces..

--
				Jordan K. Hubbard
				@ Genstar Rental Electronics.

I'm your private hacker, hacking for money, any old keyboard will do..

					- Tina Turing

fbp@cybvax0.UUCP (Rick Peralta) (04/23/85)

In article <537@lll-crg.ARPA> brooks@lll-crg.ARPA (Eugene D. Brooks III) writes:

>I strongly agree with the point made above concerning the level of training
>needed by a citizen carrying a pistol.  Why not make the training required
>as a condition of having a concealed weapons permit?  ...

It would also give the chief of police (issuer of weapon permits around here)
an opportunity to see how individuals handle the weapons.  This would help cull
out the reckless individuals as well as educate the ignorant.

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (04/24/85)

> In article <419@utai.UUCP> west@utai.UUCP (Thomas L. West) writes:
> >Eugene D. Brooks III writes:
> >>I agree that the probability of good citizens getting hurt accidentally
> >>goes up by epsilon each time a good citizen carries a weapon.  You are
> >>missing an important factor that offsets this negative.  A good citizen
> >>carrying a weapon is in a position to help someone else being attacked.
> >>The probability of a well trained individual helping another is far greater
> >>than hurting someone by accident.
> >
> >   Hold it right there.  Do you have *any* facts, figures, articles or
> >*anything* to back this up.  My strong guess is that you are 180 degrees
> >out, and that far more people are injured by "good citizens" than are
> >"saved" by other "good citizens" coming to their rescue.  All I ask for
> >is *one* figure.  (No, I don't know how you'd go about compiling it!)
> >However, a look at the papers in cities small enough to still be reporting
> >deaths should give an indication.  How many criminals were shot compared
> >to how many innocents (shot by innocents).
> >  Of course, if you *are* correct, this implies that without guns all over
> >the place, the US crime rate would be even *higher*.  I am not sure,
> >but I have a feeling this *can't* be true.  I mean, the US is not at
> >war, is it?
> >
> >   Tom West
> >ihnp4!utcsri!west
>

> Tom is right.  The last figures I read (*Warning*, almost a year dated) showed
> that private *handguns*, bought explicitly for protection, were fired 6 out
> of 7 times at family or friends, in anger or on accident - not at assailants
> for *protection*.  Pretty startling, huh?  The figure does not, of course,
> include rifles and other guns which are not as *commenly* used against loved
> ones.  I am searching for the source, so I will get back to you, but I remember
> it as being rather reliable....
>
>                                          (Crises? .....What Crises?)
>
>                                           John
>                                           phoenix@ucbtopaz

The "6 out of 7 uses" statistic is an example of a misleading statistic.
*Most* confrontations between victim and criminal where the intended victim
is armed do *not* result in a shooting.  The criminal goes and looks for an
easier victim.  I have yet to see any statistics comparing the number of
uses of a firearm to scare off a criminal vs. the number of uses of a firearm
to frighten, injure, or kill an acquaintance.

Several years ago, the State of California's Department of Justice polled
Californians and found that 8% had used a weapon of some sort (which includes
things besides firearms) to defend themselves or property against criminal
attack.  (In fact, I know one person who has done so.)  I would be very
surprised if 8% of the population has used a weapon against an acquaintance.
If you can find some statistics on this, they might be interesting, but of
questionable accuracy, since most domestic violence isn't reported.

brent@cadovax.UUCP (Brent Rector) (04/25/85)

In article <greipa.173> jordan@greipa.UUCP (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:

>but I'd bet money on the fact that less people are killed with guns
>(accidently or deliberately) in the midwestern states than the east
>or west coast (and I'd also bet that the ratio of guns to population is
>at least twice as high in the midwest). When I lived in Colorado as a young
>boy I had gun safety hammered into my head nine ways to tuesday (I lived
>in a very rural area). Woe betide the kid whose weapon accidently discharged!
>I never heard of any incidents, but I'm sure the kid would have been
>excommunicated.

As one who grew up on the Indiana/Kentucky border I have to agree with
the above statement. Most of my relatives (who are mostly 'country folk')
not only have multiple guns but also know how to use them. Rather than
being off limits to the kids (of reasonable age, say 10 & older, more
later) we were taught EXTREME respect for all weapons and how to safely
handle them. To this day I cannot handle a gun without first checking
whether or not it's loaded (no matter what the person handing it to me says),
and leaving it open (for example in the case of a shotgun) until I'm
ready to use it.

As for as my above statement about kids 10 and older being able to
responsibly handle a weapon, I'm not saying anyone 10+ can handle a
gun safely. I know some adults who can't. Personally I can't recall
when I first fired a gun so I would guess I was younger than 10 but
always under adult supervision till about then.

However to this day (I'm 30) I have never owned a gun personally. Mainly
because I have no use for one.

I could go on but basicly I support the philosophy that when it comes
down to it, everyone must be responsible for their own life. This
includes providing for shelter, food, safety, etc. While life may be
easier if people team up to help each other, if I am not willing to
provide for my own needs, why should I expect someone else to provide
for mine when they have their own to take care of.

The idea that since some people misuse guns, guns should be taken away
from everyone leads to if X is harmful to some, X should be restricted
in some way. I believe this could be carried out to dangerous extremes.
Guns are dangerous, restrict guns.
Cars are dangerous, restrict cars (speeds, composition, etc)
People are dangerous, restrict people. :-)
Brent E. Rector - CONTEL CADO, Torrance, CA
{ decvax, hplabs, ihnp4, ucbvax, sdcrdcf }!trwrb!cadovax!brent
					 philabs!cadovax!brent

regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) (04/26/85)

>Anyway, what I'm trying to point out in my usual windy
>way is that the only REAL way to handle the firearms problem is to
>increase public awareness, rather than making such an awareness harder
>and harder to obtain.
>Let's de-mystify the subject, huh? Knowledge and a sober head beats
>four aces..
>                                Jordan K. Hubbard
>                                {sun, decwrl, dual}!twg!greipa!jordan

YAY!! YAY!!  There speaks a sane man!!

				Adrienne Regard
			"Some men think . . . thank goodness!"

jc@mit-athena.UUCP (John Chambers) (04/26/85)

What's this about "weapons" implying "uncivilized"?  There
have been quite a lot of societies in which it was normal
for large numbers (typically of free adult males) to routinely
carry a weapon.  Some of these considered themselves "civilized".
(And some were even so considered by their neighbors. :-)

On the other hand, there are some very uncivilized parts of
the world right now (Chicago :-) where weapons are restricted
to a small class, usually only police and bodyguards for the
very rich.

How about another suggestion:  In a truly civilized society,
nobody would care whether or not you were carrying a weapon.

How about working on the problem (violence) rather than just
talking about suppressing the symptoms (weapons)?

--

			John Chambers [...!decvax!mit-athena]

He who has made no mistakes has probably made nothing at all.

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (04/26/85)

> Rick Peralta writes:
> >In the hands of an incompetent a blender can be dangerous.
> >Does that mean we should ban blenders ?
> >Impose outrageous penalties for their misuse ?
>
>   Don't be stupid.  People who are incompetent with blenders don't
> kill innocents.  I would not be in the least suprised to find that
> more people are killed in family disputes with guns/accidents with
> guns/heated arguments with guns than are killed by criminals.  THAT
> is what I find so pathetic.  In the rush to protect yourselves from
> criminals, you are killing far more of the innocents than would have died
> if you had left well enough alone.  But then Truth, Justice and
> Large-Calibre Handguns has long been the American Way.

First: accidents with guns kill about 1800 - 2000 people a year in the
U.S.  Many of those "accidents" occur while cleaning guns.  (This is in
fact possible, but somewhat unlikely.)  I have noticed in following press
accounts of these cleaning "accidents" that they seem to occur dis-
proportionately to white males above 60, with many years experience with
firearms.  White males above 60 are also far and away the most likely
age group to commit suicide.  I suspect a good many of the "cleaning
accidents" are suicides covered up by either the suicide, or by the
family.  (Insurance companies have some restrictions about paying claims
in suicide cases, for obvious reasons.)

One of the more misleading statistics used in the jihad against handguns
comes from an FBI study some years ago that showed that 3 out of 4 murder
victims were killed by an acquaintance or friend.  Their definition of
acquaintance included business associates (which includes substantial
numbers of drug dealers, pimps, and people "known by sight", but not
necessarily people well-known to the victim.

I'm sure that a lot of people are in fact killed with handguns during
heated arguments.  If you hang around drug addicts, or people with violent
tempers, or spend a lot of time in bars, you stand a much better chance of
becoming a victim than if you stay away from those sort of places.

Every year in the U.S., about three times as many criminals are killed by
private citizens as are killed by the police.  Some studies done by the
New York and Chicago police departments suggest that as much as 60% of
the people murdered each year are criminals murdering other criminals.
(If you think about the nature of criminals, this is not surprising.)

Incidentally, you may find this statistic of interest.  While it was
difficult to find crime figures for Canada (even in a university library)
down here, I was able to locate murder figures for most of the years
between 1973 (when Canada's handgun laws took effect) and 1980.  It
appears that Canada experienced a 30% increase in murders during those
years.  Certainly the population of Canada didn't go 30%, or even close.
This was at a time when our murder rate((and total murders) was slightly
declining.  I would suggest that the relative difficulty of obtaining
handguns by the honest population of Canada may have played some role
in this increase in murder rate, since the criminals obviously didn't
suddenly decide to obey the law.

>    How long would it take to see the disappearance of the handgun from
> criminal's hands if handguns were totally outlawed today.  That it would
> be illegal to import, sell or own a handgun or handgun ammunition.  My guess
> is that the we'd see a dramatic decrease in one year, and none in five.
> Handguns, especially in criminals hands don't last too long, and deprived of
> the usual source (some good citizen's home...), and NO alternatives, only
> criminals far and few between would have them.
>    Gee, it would mean that the only source for Canadian criminals getting
> handguns would dry up as well.  Wow! Wouldn't that be nice?

I hate to disappoint you, but a handgun is *almost* forever.  In addition, it
is quite easy to manufacture enough of a handgun to seriously threaten the
lives of other people.  Remember: the criminal needs far less effective of
a weapon to threaten someone's life, than they need to realistic fight back,
since the criminal is on the offensive.

Converting .22 rifles into concealed weapons is almost trivial; I used to
be slightly acquainted with the sheriff of Sonoma County, California.  He
told me they confiscated dozens of sawed-off rifles and shotguns every year,
and Sonoma County is one of the more peaceful parts of California.

There are so many handguns in this country (and probably in yours as well),
that it might take 500 years for most of the handguns to disappear.  Perhaps
a better solution is to deal with the crime problem, instead of its most
trivial component.

>   What is really depressing is that a lot of people are dying so that a
> few citizens who are hand-gun crazy can tote their's around.  I don't
> particularily understand a country where a minority can condemn many thousands
> to death and injury.
>    But hey, it's *your* country.  I only get mad 'cause we get the tail
> end.  i.e. Canadians die because of the stupid US policy.  Maybe we
> should sue.  Who knows, in the American courts of today, it might win! :-)
> (Actually I lie.  I get mad because there are rational types getting knocked
>  off in the US as well.  Why must they die for others stupidity?)

I hate to disappoint you, but gun control ordinances in this country fail
almost every time they are put to a vote of the people.  That's why the
gun control forces here work through the state legislatures.  Even though
most people are ambivalent about firearms, they recognize the danger of
disarming the population.  If the British had suceeded in disarming the
American colonists, heck, we'd be like Canada today!  :-)

>   Tom West                          "Some men think..., and some don't"
>                                                 -A. Regard
>  { allegra cornell decvax ihnp4 linus utzoo }!utcsri!west

west@utcsri.UUCP (Thomas L. West) (04/28/85)

Me:
>>   How long would it take to see the disappearance of the handgun from
>>criminal's hands if handguns were totally outlawed today.  That it would
>>be illegal to import, sell or own a handgun or handgun ammunition.  My guess
>>is that the we'd see a dramatic decrease in one year, and none in five.

Him (David Canzi):
>WISHFUL THINKING! It has been illegal to import, sell, or own marijuana
>for a lot longer than 5 years, yet there's always plenty around.  There
>is no way to completely seal off the borders of a country that isn't
>prohibitively expensive, like, say, an electric fence, which would have
>to be several miles high to stop airplanes.

Me again:
  However the States is the major source of handguns.  Assuming that they
are no longer being made there, it's going to be a long hard haul to get
a handgun.  Remember that handguns don't grow on trees (or in hemp).  They
require a reasonably sized industrial element to produce.  Something fairly
easily spotted (remember the raw materials for handguns aren't invisible
either.)  Making handguns is a *lot* harder than making drugs.  Also,
while some handguns would leak in, the number would be so many times
smaller that the entire crime situation would change.  Maybe the
organized crime types might have them, but since when have "good
citizens" been fighting off mafia types with their handguns?

  The idea is not so much stopping them at the border (although remember
that they're *metal* and thus can't really be imported on airlplanes to
well.) but drying up the #1 supplier of freely accessible handguns in the
world, the US.

  Tom West               "Trust the computer, the computer is your friend."
 { allegra cornell decvax ihnp4 linus utzoo }!utcsri!west

guads@nmtvax.UUCP (04/28/85)

In article <> fbp@cybvax0.UUCP (Rick Peralta) writes back:
>In the hands of an incompetent a blender can be dangerous.
>Does that mean we should ban blenders ?
>Impose outrageous penalties for their misuse ?

Think of how often you've heard of people being killed by loaded blenders,
compare this with the number of times you've heard of people being killed by
guns, and then _t_h_i_n_k next time before you type.
--
                                -Lautzy (Romulan)
                              ...unmvax!nmtvax!guads

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (05/03/85)

> Me:
> >>   How long would it take to see the disappearance of the handgun from
> >>criminal's hands if handguns were totally outlawed today.  That it would
> >>be illegal to import, sell or own a handgun or handgun ammunition.  My guess
> >>is that the we'd see a dramatic decrease in one year, and none in five.
>
> Him (David Canzi):
> >WISHFUL THINKING! It has been illegal to import, sell, or own marijuana
> >for a lot longer than 5 years, yet there's always plenty around.  There
> >is no way to completely seal off the borders of a country that isn't
> >prohibitively expensive, like, say, an electric fence, which would have
> >to be several miles high to stop airplanes.
>
> Me again:
>   However the States is the major source of handguns.  Assuming that they
> are no longer being made there, it's going to be a long hard haul to get
> a handgun.  Remember that handguns don't grow on trees (or in hemp).  They
> require a reasonably sized industrial element to produce.  Something fairly
> easily spotted (remember the raw materials for handguns aren't invisible
> either.)  Making handguns is a *lot* harder than making drugs.  Also,
> while some handguns would leak in, the number would be so many times
> smaller that the entire crime situation would change.  Maybe the
> organized crime types might have them, but since when have "good
> citizens" been fighting off mafia types with their handguns?

Making handguns is a lot easier than growing marijuana.  Handguns can be
made in a legitimate machine shop.  All the equipment and materials to
make them are entirely legitimate for other activities.  Unlike a field
of marijuana, handgun manufacturing takes place entirely in doors, where it
can't be spotted by satellites and airplanes.  Also, unlike marijuana,
handgun manufacturing can be moved around from time to time to reduce
the risk of discovery.  (Try moving a field of marijuana part way through
the season.)

Unlike marijuana, which requires continuous supplies to be imported,
handguns have a substantial lifetime (hundreds of years).  The sheer
bulk of drugs imported into the U.S. (and presumably Canada) is thousands
of times the bulk of handguns that would be smuggled.

Incidentally, let me tell you how well the Canadian border guards keep
out handguns.  A friend of mine used to be a Canadian border guard.
Americans heading north to Alaska through Canada are required to seal
their handguns at the border, and at the Canada-Alaska border the seal
is checked, and the numbers are supposedly matched.  In fact, my friend
told me that the paperwork was thrown away at his end --- there was no
cross checking.

Concerning organized crime: do you really think they aren't going to
take advantage of the situation to sell handguns?  It's probably already
happening in Canada.  It is certainly happening in Japan, where the
Yakuza are already smuggling in handguns for sale.

>   The idea is not so much stopping them at the border (although remember
> that they're *metal* and thus can't really be imported on airlplanes to
> well.) but drying up the #1 supplier of freely accessible handguns in the
> world, the US.

You are right that handguns couldn't be smuggled in by plane, since they
are metal.  Marijuana doesn't come in on commercial airliners anymore,
since it is too easy for drug sniffing dogs to find it.

>   Tom West               "Trust the computer, the computer is your friend."
>  { allegra cornell decvax ihnp4 linus utzoo }!utcsri!west

spaf@gt-stratus.UUCP (Gene Spafford) (06/13/85)

(This is over a month old, but I just ran across it and I couldn't
resist...)

In article <5445@utzoo.UUCP> laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) writes:
>Martin,
>3 people have been murdered within 2 blocks of my home since January.
>Guess again.
>
>Laura Creighton
>utzoo!laura

Uh, I'd guess that you're hearing voices again, Laura, and they're
telling you to clean up your neighborhood?  Were any of them carrying
lifeboats, by any chance?
--
Gene "3 months and holding" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332