[net.legal] life insurance and disconnecting life-support devices

traite@wanginst.UUCP (Paul Traite) (05/23/85)

	 I've had these thoughts for a while, but publicity on a recent
	 case got me to thinking (dangerous, I know) about the topic
	 again.  A man has been in a coma for two years, medical diagnosis
	 is no hope for recovery (brain dead).  The man's wife, the man's
	 brothers, the family clergy all agree that he wouldn't have
	 wanted to remain connected to life-support; they want the
	 hospital to disconnect all life-support, including feeding.  The
	 hospital (I'm not sure if any of the doctors are involved) are
	 refusing to disconnect.  Obviously (this is America), its in the
	 courts now.

	 My question is this:  suppose that the courts rule that he can be
	 disconnected.  If he has life insurance, will the company pay up?
	 The reason I think it is open to debate is that I believe that
	 life insurance policies exclude pay-off for 'suicide'.  If the
	 courts allow disconnection because the man would have wanted it,
	 might this be construed as suicide?

	 Delving further into the gray area of debate, what if the reason
	 for the man's coma was that he attempted to commit suicide?  (In
	 the case that sparked this article, the man's coma was due to a
	 burst anurism in the brain).

					Paul Traite
--

		uucp	...!decvax!wanginst!traite
		csnet	traite%wanginst@csnet-relay

donn@neurad.UUCP (Donn S. Fishbein) (05/27/85)

> 	 ...  a man has been in a coma for two years, medical diagnosis
> 	 is no hope for recovery (brain dead)... all agree that he wouldn't have
> 	 wanted to remain connected to life-support...
> 	 hospital is refusing to disconnect.  Obviously (this is America),
>	 its in the courts now.
>
> 	 My question is this:  suppose that the courts rule that he can be
> 	 disconnected.  If he has life insurance, will the company pay up?
> 	 ...life insurance policies exclude pay-off for 'suicide'.

Brain death has more or less been explicitly accepted as indicating death
of the person in a series of U.S. court cases.  18 states have enacted
statutes accepting the diagnosis of brain death as death of a person.
Regardless of the legal questions, a person who is brain dead will develop
failure of the cardiovascular system and cessation of the heartbeat within
several days, or rarely, within several weeks (note that brain death implies
cessation of spontaneous respiration).  Accepting brain death as legal
evidence of death avoids prolonging a hopeless struggle for the patient,
his/her family, and the medical staff, and allows organ transplantation
while organs are still viable,
  [REF: Plum and Posner, The Diagnosis of Stupor and Coma, 3 ed., pp313-323]

The original question would be more challenging if the diagnosis
left no hope for recovery for some reason other than brain death.
--
Donn S. Fishbein, MD  (N3DNT)   (301)496-6801
..!{harpo,allegra,decvax,ihnp4}!seismo!neurad!donn

rcj@burl.UUCP (R. Curtis Jackson) (06/04/85)

> 	 My question is this:  suppose that the courts rule that he can be
> 	 disconnected.  If he has life insurance, will the company pay up?
> 	 The reason I think it is open to debate is that I believe that
> 	 life insurance policies exclude pay-off for 'suicide'.  If the
> 	 courts allow disconnection because the man would have wanted it,
> 	 might this be construed as suicide?
>
> 	 Delving further into the gray area of debate, what if the reason
> 	 for the man's coma was that he attempted to commit suicide?  (In

a) No, not if there is a living will.  I am going to draw one up shortly
for that very reason, also to make sure that my family does not spend
a whole lot of money to bury me somewhere or haul my body back to Alabama.
If there is not a living will, it could get VERY sticky.

b) If the reason for the man's coma is an attempted suicide, and the
insurance does not pay for suicides, then the insurance should not pay.
Just as in cheating on taxes or running a red light, "You lays yo'
bets an' then yo' takes yo' chances."
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (06/07/85)

> a) No, not if there is a living will.  I am going to draw one up shortly
> for that very reason, also to make sure that my family does not spend
> a whole lot of money to bury me somewhere or haul my body back to Alabama.
> If there is not a living will, it could get VERY sticky.

Unfortunately, a living will does not guarantee anything.  Best to also
make sure that your relatives understand your feelings and agrees to it.
Otherwise they can circumvent things like organ donation preferences that
you have previously indicated.

-Ron

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (06/07/85)

In article <11235@brl-tgr.ARPA> ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
>Unfortunately, a living will does not guarantee anything.  Best to also
>make sure that your relatives understand your feelings and agrees to it.
>Otherwise they can circumvent things like organ donation preferences that
>you have previously indicated.

Is this really true?  I carry my organ donor card with me at all times;
it is signed by me and two witnesses as required.  At the bottom of
the card is:

THIS IS A LEGAL DOCUMENT UNDER THE UNIFORM ANATOMICAL GIFT
ACT (ARTICLE ... [blurred] OF THE NORTH CAROLINA GENERAL STATUTES)

Can some relative really circumvent this?  On the back of the card,
I specify exactly what I wish to donate (everything, in my case)
and exactly what restrictions I wish to put on to modify the multiple-
choice section (none, in my case).  If someone CANNOT circumvent my
donation completely, can they bastardize it by saying, for instance,
that only internal organs can be donated (i.e., no eyes)?
--

mjc@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Monica Cellio) (06/09/85)

From: ihnp4!burl!rcj@ut-sally (Curtis Jackson)
>In article <11235@brl-tgr.ARPA> ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
>>Unfortunately, a living will does not guarantee anything.  Best to also
>>make sure that your relatives understand your feelings and agrees to it.
>>Otherwise they can circumvent things like organ donation preferences that
>>you have previously indicated.
>
>Is this really true?

Uniform Donor Cards are binding legal documents; I don't think your relatives
could interfere with that.  A living will is a statement you sign saying that
you don't want to be kept alive artificially, and doesn't bind your doctors
or relatives to carry it out.  It is just a statement of your wishes and
cannot be enforced.  (Living Wills do have a space for indicating whether you
want to donate organs; I don't know what the status of that part would be if
you didn't also have a donor card.)

							-Dragon
--
UUCP: ...ucbvax!dual!lll-crg!dragon
ARPA: monica.cellio@cmu-cs-cad or dragon@lll-crg

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (06/10/85)

> In article <11235@brl-tgr.ARPA> ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
> >Unfortunately, a living will does not guarantee anything.  Best to also
> >make sure that your relatives understand your feelings and agrees to it.
> >Otherwise they can circumvent things like organ donation preferences that
> >you have previously indicated.
>
> Is this really true?  I carry my organ donor card with me at all times;

From "Lisa's Last, Best Gift,"  WASHINGTONIAN, November 1984:

	    If you want to donate, you should make these preparations.
	Maryland, Virginia, and the [District of Columbia] all offer
	organ-donation cards with driver's license renewals.  Signing
	one of these is a good first step.  In addition, tell your next
	of kin about your wishes.  Recently in Maryland, a man about to
	undergo a risky brain operation signed a statement willing his
	organs for donation.  He lost brain function during surgery, and
	his nearest relative turned out to be a long-estranged wife who
	adamantly refused to allow his organs to be transplanted, twarting
	the husband's final wish.  "When people have left specific written
	instructions to donate their organs and the family goes against
	it, we let it drop.  We might be able to win in court, but that's
	winning the battle and losing the war.  It would create a lot of
	bad publicity and turn people off to donataion.
	    The message is clear.  If you want your organs donated so that
	they might help someone else, let those closest to you know your
	wishes.

-Ron

meister@linus.UUCP (Phillip W. Servita) (06/14/85)

In article <337@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA> mjc@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA writes:
>Uniform Donor Cards are binding legal documents; I don't think your relatives
>could interfere with that.

Unfortunately, uniform donor cards are NOT binding legal documents.
The next of kin STILL has the final say. Something should really be
done about this.

                                           -the venn buddhist