[net.legal] Rights to Mail & Re: BLATANT DISRESPECT

sunil@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Sunil Trivedi) (06/25/85)

In article <1031@cae780.UUCP> gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) writes:

> In article <907@sdcsla.UUCP> west@sdcsla.UUCP (Larry West) writes:

> >Beth, you're confused.   Legally, when someone sends you a letter,
> >that letter belongs to you.   If they wish you to keep something
> >confidential, they'd best say so -- but you are still under no
> >legal compunction to obey their wishes.   And there may be very
> >good reasons for not doing so.

> I'm no lawyer either, but I am pretty sure that you own the piece of paper,
> but that, unless explicitly released, the author still has common-law
> copyright on the contents.  Every now and then, the estate of someone
> famous threatens to go to court to get back -- or at least block
> publication of -- letters written to another individual.  They are always
> successful.

Can anyone on net.legal help the controversy over "the rights of the
sender & receiver over mail" which was brought up in net.nlang.india
and net.women?  Please also post any responses to net.nlang.india and
net.women as these were the original forums [fora?].  All references
to the topic can be found on the References line.

					  Sunil Trivedi
					sunil@ut-ngp.ARPA
			 	       {ihnp4,seismo,etc.}
					   \	      /