[net.music] Look, Ma, no hands

Paul Tanenbaum <pjt@BRL-VOC.ARPA> (02/05/85)

----- Forwarded message

Date: Sat 2 Feb 85 21:50:12-PST
From: Ken Laws <Laws@SRI-AI.ARPA>
Subject: Computer Music

A Stanford bboard item mentioned a 1/29/85 AP article on automated
music transcription.  This may be relevant to the problem of
recognizing bird songs (AIList Vol. 3, No. 10).  Some excerpts:

Computer Prints Mozart From Piano
By STEVE WILSTEIN
Associated Press Writer

    STANFORD, Calif. (AP) - Roll over Beethoven, and take a look at a
computer that can transcribe Mozart just by ''listening'' to a piano.
    An artificial intelligence program developed by Stanford University
printed out a minuet from a Mozart symphony, complete with accents,
meters and notes on a five-line staff, researchers said Tuesday.
    The computer has a bit more trouble with the syncopation of ragtime
or the funk of Michael Jackson, and can't transcribe harmony. But
researchers believe polyphony is less than two years away, and
computer jam sessions may be possible.
    ''It shows there is really good potential,'' said research associate
Bernard Mont-Reynaud. ''We've had success with the single voice. Now
we're gearing up with new machines to do polyphonic transcription. We
should be able to do a full piano piece or string quartet within 1 1/2
years.''  [...]
    ''My hope is these things will connect someday,'' Mont-Reynaud said.
''You can play something, it gets analyzed, and software transforms
it and responds. A musician and a computer can play together.''

----- End of forwarded messages