[net.legal] DWI Crackdowns;Motorcycle sentences

todd@SCIRTP.UUCP (Todd Jones) (07/24/85)

> Todd, I would suggest the simplest solution of all to
> the DWI problem is:
>
> 1. Require those convicted of DWI to drive motorcycles for a year or
>    two, instead of cars.  This has several positive effects.
>
> 2. Second conviction for DWI gets you a motorcycle license for life.
>
> 3. Driving a car while restricted to motorcycles because of DWI would
>    get you prison time, since you clearly can't be trusted around the
>    rest of us.
>
> Why not just pull the license of a DWI?  Because judges and juries are
> reluctant to prevent someone from being able to get to work; if they
> have a motorcycle license, they have no excuse.

Well, this idea has some appeal, but it won't work in harsh climates
(ever tried to ride a motorcycle in Buffalo NY in February?). Another
point is that motorcycles are more difficult to drive than cars, so
you are going to have more accidents that will arguably affect more
non-DWI convicts. I suppose it doesn't matter that some people would
have a hard time affording them (I admit, my solution imposes a cost
burden on the DWI convict as well) and motorcycle purists would be up
in arms that their chosen mode of transportation would be associated
with undesirables (BFD, right?).

The problem is, few people can function in America without the use
of a car. I bicycle commute during the warm months but I have little
choice but to burn the petrol in winter. My solution? I get polluted
at home.

   ||   ||
   [ O-O ]       Todd Jones
    \ ^ /        {decvax,akgua}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!todd
    | _ |
    |___|

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (07/25/85)

The problem with draconian penalties for drunk driving is that juries won't
convict.  Defense attorneys are very good at portraying their clients as
"just plain folks" who are being abused by the system.  Most jurors can
see themselves making "one little mistake", just like their "peer".

Not that prosecutors are much better; I know of several instances where
the local district attorney has been arrested for drunk driving.  Also
some state legislators, congresscritters, archbishops, etc....

I also don't know what to do about the problem, though I do feel that current
public response is little short of hysterical.   Does anyone but me fear the
possibility of a return to Prohibition?

mff@wuphys.UUCP (Swamp Thing) (07/26/85)

In article <1019@ulysses.UUCP> smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) writes:
>I also don't know what to do about the problem, though I do feel that current
>public response is little short of hysterical.

I guess having someone close to murdered by some drunken asshole in a sports
car does that to people.  Kinda strange, isn't it.

						Mark F. Flynn
						Department of Physics
						Washington University
						St. Louis, MO  63130
						ihnp4!wuphys!mff

"There is no dark side of the moon, really.
 Matter of fact, it's all dark."

				P. Floyd

sms@kitc.UUCP (Video Vamp) (08/02/85)

> > Todd, I would suggest the simplest solution of all to
> > the DWI problem is:
> >
> > 1. Require those convicted of DWI to drive motorcycles for a year or
> >    two, instead of cars.  This has several positive effects.

I kind of like this idea. The only thing I would add is that
the convicted DWI motorcyclist should be required to fill out
the Uniform Donor card. Most kidney transplants seem to come from
dead bikers so this would be a way of replacing life after the DWI
risked it. Besides, an alcohol sloshed kidney might be quite well
preserved :-)

Sam Saal             No longer at ..!{ihnp4}!kitc!sms