[net.legal] My first baby

mbr@aoa.UUCP (Mark Rosenthal) (08/15/85)

In article <480@tymix.UUCP> whitehur@tymix.UUCP (Pamela K. Whitehurst) writes:
>I think an unwed father should have the same right as a divorced father.
>Including the right to request custody.

As far as I can tell, this is not the way the world actually works.
The experience of male friends of mine who have requested even joint custody
is that this is only an option if the mother agrees.  In contested cases,
it seems that custody is almost invariably granted to the mother.  Sole
custody by the father seems only to be granted, if the mother agrees or has
been proved to have taken part in the Sharon Tate murders (or something
equally henious).

Anybody know for certain what the laws are?  I'm sure they vary from state
to state.  Anybody know how closely actual practice follows the laws?

In other words, under what circumstances (if any) can an unmarried father
obtain custody of his children if he and the mother should split up?
How does being married change this?  Of all cases in which both unmarried
parents request sole custody of the child, in what percent of the cases was
custody granted to the father?  Is there on record, even a single case of this
happening?  What about cases in which the father (believing that he cannot
possibly hope for sole custody if the mother objects) requests joint custody
and the mother requests sole custody?  What are the analogous percentages for
married parents?

Any lawyers out there?

If you have hard facts, please include pointers to your sources.
If they're opinions, please label them as such.
--

	Mark of the Valley of Roses
	...!{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!aoa!mbr