[net.legal] BIG BROTHER IS COMMING TO NJ

fjpls@mtuxn.UUCP (P.STEVENS) (08/09/85)

BIG BROTHER IS COMING!

Here in NJ, one of the school districts has decided that all
High School students should be screened for drugs. They have
just instituted a policy (effective with the coming school year)
to force all students to submit to lab tests designed to detect
drugs. If traces of drugs are found, they plan to notify the
student's parents. I had heard no mention as of yet as to whether
the law enforcement agencies will be involved but it does seem
possible.

The A.C.L.U has vowed to fight this - I don't blame them.

Paul Stevens - mtuxn!fjpls

If u cn rd ths, u 2 cn bcum a prgrmr & mk bg $.

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (08/09/85)

> BIG BROTHER IS COMING!
>
> Here in NJ, one of the school districts has decided that all
> High School students should be screened for drugs. They have
> just instituted a policy (effective with the coming school year)
> to force all students to submit to lab tests designed to detect
> drugs. If traces of drugs are found, they plan to notify the
> student's parents. I had heard no mention as of yet as to whether
> the law enforcement agencies will be involved but it does seem
> possible.
>
> The A.C.L.U has vowed to fight this - I don't blame them.

The original plan would have required students to produce the urine sample
in the presence of a doctor, nurse, or technician; positive results
were indeed to have been turned over to the police.  Both of these points
have been dropped.

elric@proper.UUCP (elric) (08/16/85)

In article <> fjpls@mtuxn.UUCP (P.STEVENS) writes:
>BIG BROTHER IS COMING!
>
>Here in NJ, one of the school districts has decided that all
>High School students should be screened for drugs. They have
>just instituted a policy (effective with the coming school year)
>to force all students to submit to lab tests designed to detect
>drugs. If traces of drugs are found, they plan to notify the
>student's parents. I had heard no mention as of yet as to whether
>the law enforcement agencies will be involved but it does seem
>possible.
>
>The A.C.L.U has vowed to fight this - I don't blame them.

  Well, if I was a high school student in NJ I would organize alot of civil
disobedience, like try to get everyone not to show up at school.
the first week of school...
 That will gain attension fast!

But, if I was still in school and they did that here in calif I would proably
be flushing M-80's down the johns.

--
The above views may or may not be the views of Lunatic Labs.