[net.legal] corporal punishment

rwh@aesat.UUCP (Russ Herman) (09/03/85)

> You're not allowed to threaten to take his teddy bear away.
Of course not. First of all, if you have to carry it out, you're ensuring the
kid isn't going to sleep. Second of all, that's almost the same as threatening
to remove *yourself* from the kid, from an emotional standpoint.
> You're not allowed to tell him he can't have ice cream if he doesn't listen.
That's silly. Ice cream when? Bedtime is now; a future reward/punishment
has no value to a four year old.
> By the way, you are not
> allowed to bodily carry him to bed, that would be physically taking matters in
> hand and over powering him with your size.
WRONG. That is precisely what you do, as a last resort. However,
if you have accustomed the child to a regular bedtime, or negotiated a
special case, this is rarely necessary.
> Besides, he would just climb out of bed and come downstairs.
> What WOULD you do?
Carry him back!
>		From: ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank)
All of the above takes for granted that we've determined that there is no
reason the kid doesn't want to stay in bed (fear, discomfort, etc.).

It IS possible to raise a decent kid without inflicting either physical pain
or shame. But first, you have to BELIEVE it can be done. We have (so far
at age 4).
--
  ______			Russ Herman
 /      \			{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!aesat!rwh